Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complete newbie question - how to heat the awning?

simplek1

simplek1

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Silly newbie, over cautious question!!! we have a T6 beach, first night away is planned for this weekend.

We have bought the Quechua base seconds and plan to have that upto the door or using the wind out awning and having it set up underneath there..... I think I want to put a toilet in the Quechua for over night as we have 3 children and I am also heavily pregnant - and also want to use it as a space to get dressed in the morning, and to set up a little kitchen area with two little burners, but how do I heat it?
We have the inside 3 pin plug in the beach, and electric hook up - so I will plug the van into the EHU and use that to have a heater in the beach, but how do I get power to the awning?

Use one of these and run a hook up lead into the tent

2017-03-24-10-20-55--880803649.jpg

For safety reasons I would not advise that unless you have a separate one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001XPHO5A/?tag=eliteelect-21

...with earth circuit breakers etc. Which you already have on the van anyway. Just run an unwound extension lead from the van into the awning and site it sensibly, ie raised off the ground, not in a puddle ;) and use a low wattage fan heater.

You can use an IP44 waterproof extension or something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U930X5A/?tag=eliteelect-21

These type of fans are a good type - we had a similar one in our Beach - tip over and over-heat protection etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-LOW...040880?hash=item36121bb9b0:g:i6oAAOxyni9S~Nsx

beware not many sites provide 1500w on theire hook-up...
You might jump the campsite breaker and don't think they be pleased with that.

beware not many sites provide 1500w on theire hook-up...
You might jump the campsite breaker and don't think they be pleased with that.

Good spot. The one I linked to has a 1500w option I just realised which may be too much but most are 800 or 1000 which should be fine.

At this time of year, you'll really just be blowing warm air at yourselves, rather than heating the awning.
I generally wouldn't try and use 2 heaters at the same time, so if you are heating the awning, don't try and heat the van, because the load will trip the hook up.

Thank you again, for your quick replies!! Maybe A little gas fire would do a better job for this weekend and then it'll be more a direct heat and loses my issue over getting electric out there.

Just out of interest what do people think is the best solution for getting power to two different areas, for having lighting out there, and other useful bits?

Just out of interest what do people think is the best solution for getting power to two different areas, for having lighting out there, and other useful bits?

Doh! Haven't we all just answered that in various ways??? Whether you plug in a fan heater, a light, a TV or whatever - electricity is electricity! :):headbang:rolleyes:

Thank you again, for your quick replies!! Maybe A little gas fire would do a better job for this weekend and then it'll be more a direct heat and loses my issue over getting electric out there.

A gas heater in a tent with small kids would be my very last option. More or less open fire, playing kids, inflammable tent cloth, confined space... Are you sure you like to go camping? Low temperatures were never an item when camping (lightweight) with my kids.

And if I'm on the grid (which is a rare occasion), I use the internal 220 plug to distribute to wherever I like to have power.

A gas fire in a small awning with young children sounds like a recipe for disaster. I suggest warm clothing, and if it is really cold either huddle in the van and use the van's heater or have an early night.

Extension leads.

Ideally I just want to give a short bit of heat to the Quechua whilst they get into pjs before bed, and first thing in the morning if some of us are up early. I get the concern over a gas fire in a small tent, and understand the risks of gas so would never just leave it on in a small area...
We are campers, so well used to that feeling of not wanting to turn over in bed once you've finally got warm lol - but having had a caravan for two seasons you realise you don't have to be cold, so just looking to make those important times more comfortable for the children :thumb

As I understand it we have to have a window open over night with 5 of us in the camper, so throwing an extension lead out soubds best, if we find heating the awning is needed

Personally I would let the young ones change into pj's in the camper, there's always something to do to make room, i.e. washing up, bin run etc. The Quechua is great but not huge, I don't think there is room in there for a gas heater imo. You will find a new routine that works for you now you don't have caravan space. :thumb

@larrylamb i know you are exactly right... after all you've been there and done it! I think I'm just stressing as I want it all to go perfectly on out first night so everyone stays enthusiastic. The Beach was my choice and introduction into the family; having always wanted one - So now I'm feeling the pressure to make it work!! :Nailbiting

Stressing is not the way to make the others feel at home, although you will probably heat the van in your own. ;)

Just be prepared with some sweaters, hats, thea, games... whatever is needed to keep yourselves warm. Probably you won't need it.

This trip shouldn't be remembered as 'the trip that daddy tried to get the new heater running, and tried, and tried'.

The best way to keep it comfortable is moving - even far below zero. Jump around! :bananadance2

By the way: the only time I ever heard kids complaining about the temperature was when they sat outside paying games on an iPad...

Stressing is not the way to make the others feel at home, although you will probably heat the van in your own. ;)

Just be prepared with some sweaters, hats, thea, games... whatever is needed to keep yourselves warm. Probably you won't need it.

This trip shouldn't be remembered as 'the trip that daddy tried to get the new heater running, and tried, and tried'.

The best way to keep it comfortable is moving - even far below zero. Jump around! :bananadance2

By the way: the only time I ever heard kids complaining about the temperature was when they sat outside paying games on an iPad...
Then complaints probably only when their thumbs got slow .
A whole generation of future RSI (repetitive strain injury) thumbs is looming in the near future.

I doubt it's daddy who is heavily pregnant. (-:

Just chill out, it'll be fine. Enjoy yourselves
Wullie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope this is defo mummy in control this weekend! Now let's just hope I don't go into labour as that's one thing I haven't planned for :bananadance2

We have left - mummy, daddy, 3 boys and a boxer!!!