Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complete novice on European drivig getaways wants to plan a trip

I don't like the Autobahns in Germany, you can't overtake a truck without a BMW/Merc/Porsche sitting 2 inches off your rear bumper flashing their lights...

Several threads recently with folks asking "is XXX in YYY days too much?". Almost impossible to advise on, IMO. If I had an 18 day window I'd probably be stupidly aiming for Montenegro, or Kiev or something. Someone else will say 18 days isn't enough time to do justice to, say, Brittany.

I would venture to say though that the Continent has some amazing regions separated by quite long stretches of not very much in between. That's particularly true of France, IMO (although I fully expect to get shot down for that).

You could research a wish-list of areas but then, rather than planning a route with a regular 2-point-whatever hours each day, you could make longer drives on some days to free up more time in the really pretty bits. The European motorway network is fab as a fast conveyor belt between the most beautiful localities.

But in my opinion the beauty of Cali-travel is setting off with only the vaguest idea of where you're heading, and then feel free to change plans completely en route if you feel like it.

Online weather forecasts are so reliable these days, up to a week out, that you can have a look where the sun's most likely to be shining in a couple of days, and set the compass on that. And if a rubbish weather day is forecast, make that an all-day drive to the next sunny spot. On a trip last month we were aiming for Italy when we crossed the Channel, but ended up in Czech Republic based on what the weather app was telling us.
Thanks VD!!
I understand what you are saying.
Here comes the but... ;)
You gotta start somewhere and the experience on this forum for my type of plan is 2nd to none.
With the emphasis on 'leisurely pace' I wanted to know if 2 to 3 hours drive in the Cali every couple or 3 days on average would get us back to Calais having reached the Alps roughly mid Journey.
Thats clearer to me now than it was at the start. Last thing I want to do is a drive by and say we saw it.
So i'm better off for asking the question. Pointing the compass at the sunshine is a fab way to go about it and I'll do that where I can as well.

I don't like the Autobahns in Germany, you can't overtake a truck without a BMW/Merc/Porsche sitting 2 inches off your rear bumper flashing their lights...
The autobahns are hard work, especially the 2 lane ones. I had a much more relaxing drive from Bielefeld to the Netherlands at 95 kph mostly in the inside lane than from Dresden to Bielefeld at 110 kph having to pass trucks frequently. Fuel consumption is considerably better at 95 kph too.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Good evening,

Well, I agree driving on German Motorway need a bit of time to get use to.

Many km on the motorway is without speed limits - so to speak. The truth is, that 130 km "Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the limit. German car insurance companies give drivers, exceeding this speed, a good bit part of the fault of an accident (even if they have no fault).

Never the less, looking in the wing mirror see a car in the distance can mean it is suddenly beside you. When I visit Germany I need to get use to it too.

But still the motorways are the safest roads and free (at least for the moment ). It is amazing how many km can be covered even with moderate speed.

Regards,
Eberhard

I fully agree with doing less driving and enjoying lovely areas at your ease. I spend at least four months a year meandering around the continent. I don’t bother with books any more as I travel alone so there’s no co driver to read them. For me the apps Camper Contact, usable off line, and Park4night give me great info on free sites as well as ones that cost. I love the ratings where I can read users comments. I look up ones in the direction I’m heading and pick the one that sounds best. Like others on here I usually let the day fall on me and may change course depending on weather, chats with other campers, my mood. Have a great trip when you go

We are just doing the France Switzerland Germany Holland circuit at the moment. Will let you know what was good and not so good on our return. But we take the P&O ferry as its cheaper than the tunnel (about £100 return at this time of year). Its a shame Portsmouth crossings are so expensive as we live only 15 mins from the port but if you're going to Eastern France then Dover Calais makes sense. We have quite a few one nighters so don't get chance to settle and seems we're always on the road. I agree, longer stops at less sites is probably better. However the beauty of the California is that you can up sticks quite quickly.

We are just doing the France Switzerland Germany Holland circuit at the moment. Will let you know what was good and not so good on our return. But we take the P&O ferry as its cheaper than the tunnel (about £100 return at this time of year). Its a shame Portsmouth crossings are so expensive as we live only 15 mins from the port but if you're going to Eastern France then Dover Calais makes sense. We have quite a few one nighters so don't get chance to settle and seems we're always on the road. I agree, longer stops at less sites is probably better. However the beauty of the California is that you can up sticks quite quickly.
Thanks @Hantshog Have a great time.
Looking forward to your observations too.

The time is approaching fast...
We have had to reduce the trip to 14 days so getting that far seems too rushed now and I'm reluctant to spend it all driving so recommendations for a leisurely paced 'loop' trip are much appreciated.
The only things we've done is confirmed the dates of the tunnel crossing and got the dog passport sorted.
Any update on your adventures @Hantshog ?

Thanks all.