Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Contents cover

N

Nik Boyd

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi all

I've done a search of the forums and struggled to find anything that specifically deals with this question (although I could be not looking hard enough). I'm expecting delivery of an Ocean later this month and have been looking into insurance.

My partner and I are climbers and will be carrying quite a bit of gear with us - if we are with our equipment it will be covered on our house insurance - I think we have about £6,000 personal possessions cover. My worry is that at times it will have to be left in the van unattended - we tend to climb and hike on alternative days when we are away. Does anyone have suggestions for insurers that are likely to offer a decent amount of contents cover?

Thanks

Nik

We're with Liverpool Victoria. Like you, my Mrs and I climb and walk. At any one time we coudl have several thousand pounds worth of kit each with us. We have £20k worth of cover. It's not overly cheap but gives me peace of mind

Trad?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Nick
It depends on your home insurance provider
I work for a bank and most policies have the option to cover contents away from as e.g. Aviva does.
This will cover you for a specific sum - any items over a £1000 or for a collective hobby such as yours and I would advise you phone your insurer and get them individually named e.g. for a surf board or expensive watch ect.

Hope that helps:thumb

I'd agree with this. Putting expensive items on your home insurance will be cheaper to insure and you can explicitly list them so that you and the insurer are in no doubt that they are covered.

I am covered for contents upto 5k away from home but its via my home insurance not my van insurance rather strangely.

I should have clarified. Liverpool & Victoria are my household contents insurers. As well as Breitling and Cartier being specific items, our walking and climbing gear is insured. As you know Nik, the gear and clothing can amount quite easily to £several_thousand