Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control button knob

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi when we bought our Cali the control knob felt loose or worn. We sent the van back into be checked under warranty (bought from a used\new camper dealer) and they replaced the knob. This is the second time I've now tried it and the button isn't pressing in so nothing is happening. When I press the fridge button it then allows me to turn the knob and alter the temp etc. it just won't let me press it in and access the menu. Should I be asking for a full new unit ?

If your van is within warranty they should be replacing the entire control unit and not just the knob! Did you buy from a VW dealer or an independent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought from a independent dealer

My friends are borrowing it for the weekend now I'm embarrassed to give it to them as they can't operate the roof

One thing to check.
The unit is switched on?
Pressing the L Bottom button switches the unit on and loads up the software.
Thereafter the display will light up when the ignition is switched On and after 30 secs or so the Display screen goes blank. Press the Knob and the screen comes back on. Press the knob a second time and you get the menu, Roof/Fridge etc.

If it doesn't do this then it should be fixed/replaced.

If you have a wobbly knob (a condition commonly known to affect California owners), or it won't push down, you have two options, either to fit complete new unit from VW at a cost of £6/700 or fit a replacement knob obtainable via the forum.

If you go to the the VIP download section you'll find all the information on this subject covered comprehensively. Sorry this is bad news but in the short term it's expensive repair and I expect an independent dealer will duck and dive to get out of doing the correct repair which is a complete replacement unit.

You must have it repaired properly because if it fails on you could end up with a roof stuck up and then you're in all sorts of problems.

Make sure you have the roof velcro lash down kit because if the roof has to be lowered manually it is essential to have.

take the unit apart, remove the knob from the switch and check if the switch still allows you to "press" as well as turn. If it does, replace the knob or repair it with a bit of blue-tac. Note that the replacement knobs still require a little bit of blue-tac inside the splined section to allow them to clear the splines and still allow the "press" on/off function.

Well after telling them to sort it they have booked it into vw for a new control panel !

I replaced the control knob and now the panel insists the roof is up. I have tried re setting the panel and taking the roof up and down. It still shows roof up. Any help appreciated.

Back