Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anybody have the VW control panel knob and front facia spare part ?

Lalala

Lalala

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The knob on our control panel has become unreliable and does not always change menu option when turned . We have been waiting for the spare part to come into the VW California shop . We were initially told 16th july but I’ve just been told it will now be September !

Does anybody have the spare part ( front fascia plus knob ) by any chance that they fancy selling me ? We are currently trying to salvage our summer holiday

Thank you in advance

Have a look at step 18 in the replacement instructions. According to that the rotary encoder (part under 'knob') is operable with a screwdriver. Good enough for government work.

German shop an option? Not sure how quickly you need it?

Do I need premium membership to access this section ?
Yes, probably. It says you can operate the rotary encoder with a screwdriver once you've removed the knob. If the knob falls off it saves you taking it to bits.

There was someone on here making the knob with a 3d printer. Try a search to see if you can find them.

I keep a spare control panel and a spare tap in the van, as they are both inevitable failures, and I don’t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with either broken. Not for sale though, sorry.

I keep a spare control panel and a spare tap in the van, as they are both inevitable failures, and I don’t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with either broken. Not for sale though, sorry.
That would be a scary fiddly job to do out in the field with a limited tool set. You're a brave man to take that on :)

For the OP as others have said, if you can tolerate the annoyance and nervousness of fully stripping down the control panel more than once, then you could strip it down once and remove the knob and fit back together then turn it / press it with screwdriver gently. You would need to be really careful not to break anything though. Eventually when your facia arrives you can open it again to fit in the new bits.

That would be a scary fiddly job to do out in the field with a limited tool set. You're a brave man to take that on :)

For the OP as others have said, if you can tolerate the annoyance and nervousness of fully stripping down the control panel more than once, then you could strip it down once and remove the knob and fit back together then turn it / press it with screwdriver gently. You would need to be really careful not to break anything though. Eventually when your facia arrives you can open it again to fit in the new bits.
I’ve done one already, hence the spare. There are YouTube videos, so I did not find it difficult.

I’ve done one already, hence the spare. There are YouTube videos, so I did not find it difficult.
I did one recently, I found it really fiddly, I think there was a burr in the knob because after I put it on, it stuck down, so had to file inside a little. Then one of the screw heads striped while tightening into the new plastic before it was even tight. I had to use a Dremel to cut a slot so I could turn the screw with a normal screw driver. I had such hopes for a clean and perfect job at the start, never expected to be grinding screw heads with the circuit board just below .
I'm guessing your one must have gone better than that :)

I did one recently, I found it really fiddly, I think there was a burr in the knob because after I put it on, it stuck down, so had to file inside a little. Then one of the screw heads striped while tightening into the new plastic before it was even tight. I had to use a Dremel to cut a slot so I could turn the screw with a normal screw driver. I had such hopes for a clean and perfect job at the start, never expected to be grinding screw heads with the circuit board just below .
I am an engineer, maybe it helps….or maybe it was just luck.

The knob on our control panel has become unreliable and does not always change menu option when turned . We have been waiting for the spare part to come into the VW California shop . We were initially told 16th july but I’ve just been told it will now be September !

Does anybody have the spare part ( front fascia plus knob ) by any chance that they fancy selling me ? We are currently trying to salvage our summer holiday

Thank you in advance
This company might be able to help.

This company might be able to help.

Definitely, they keep knobs on stock as I remember and will also change it for you if you want. Quick turnaround as well from my experience.

Definitely, they keep knobs on stock as I remember and will also change it for you if you want. Quick turnaround as well from my experience.
We already speaking Ed and he’s been fantastic and hugely knowledgable and reassuring . Hoping for a temporary fix to save our holiday

I think the answer is right from brand new treat that knob like a holding a new born baby. They only brake because they are not treated with 100% respect.
We had the same problem after about 4 years or so.
I watched a youtube vid and found it very useful.
one thing I didn’t do was replace the facia as ours was like new, which helps a heck of a lot as you don’t need to take the ribbons out. Took about an hour from start to finish.

I think the answer is right from brand new treat that knob like a holding a new born baby. They only brake because they are not treated with 100% respect.
We had the same problem after about 4 years or so.
I watched a youtube vid and found it very useful.
one thing I didn’t do was replace the facia as ours was like new, which helps a heck of a lot as you don’t need to take the ribbons out. Took about an hour from start to finish.
I agree it is incredibly fragile and definitely needs treating with care. I found it unbelievable that the plastic knob only engages with the metal encoder splines with 3 tiny, tiny plastic moulded pegs. And if one breaks it slips. I don't understand why they didn't mould the full spline shape into it.

Thank you in advance
Hi there. I have an old one I can send you if you like. DM me and I’ll post it off.

Hi, mine failed so took it apart tobremove the broken parts and fitted a small rubber cap over the splined rotating shart externally as a temporary replacement! No idea why they made it such a complex knob, the rubber one works great so I've stuck with it. It has enough sticking out to turn it easy and easy to press for selection too. Ypu can operate it without the knob in place but easier with the rubber.

Thank you in advance
I have the part you are looking for bought from the Club Shop as in #4. I bottled out of doing it myself and it was fixed by Breeze in Poole under warranty.
You aren't a VIP Member so I can't send you a private message though.

Simon

This may help....From Spain 19 Euros.
Shipping cost: €14.90!!!

There is no real need to detach the connector ribbons from the motherboard when dismantling the fascia.
€19 + vat +€14.90 + vat for postage? Must weigh at least 5 grams And costs about 10 p to produce. And I thought VW ripped people off. There’s is bargain at £40 odd for the facia an knob.
Im sure it will be in stock very soon.

€19 + vat +€14.90 + vat for postage? Must weigh at least 5 grams And costs about 10 p to produce. And I thought VW ripped people off. There’s is bargain at £40 odd for the facia an knob.
Im sure it will be in stock very soon.
I'm just the messenger and I quite agree.
Bags of profit from the design and effort with a 3D printer.
I paid for the kit last year, dismantled the control panel and fitted the knob myself.
The only additional expense was a set of small torx drivers £11odd from Halfords.
The whole job took about 15 minutes.
Lets hope kits are back in the cub shop soon for those who need them.

I have the part you are looking for bought from the Club Shop as in #4. I bottled out of doing it myself and it was fixed by Breeze in Poole under warranty.

Simon

Simon

Simon
Hi Simon . Do you still have this part ? Do I need to become a VIP member to message you ? Apologies . Been away so only just seen this post

Back