Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel always reads 0 amps

mickman

mickman

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi there,

I recently purchased a VW California Ocean from 2016 which has a problem with the leisure battery. In short terms, its dead and only reads 2V. I will replace it with a new one, based on the serial number of the battery I can tell its from 2012, also the van has been more or less standing still since April, so a dead battery isn't all that surprising.

What I find more interesting though, is that the control panel always reads 0 amps. The panel only turns on when I connect the van to a socket or when I run the car engine, it doesn't even remember the time and date, though that part is not surprising with a dead leisure battery.

When running the engine I can use the camper electronics as normal, the roof can be raised, the lights work etc. Its just that it never states anything else than 0 amps.

My question is, do you think replacing the dead battery will be the only thing I need to take care of or could there be some other issue? I've checked all the fuses below the driver seat with a multi-meter, they all seem fine. On another thread there as talk of a 50A fuse that sits directly on the positive lead of the battery, mine doesn't seem to have that and instead has a metal divider piece that goes straight to several cables.

Any advice would be kindly appreciated.

IMG_20240827_094333.jpg
IMG_20240828_202036.jpg
IMG_20240828_211717.jpgIMG_20240828_211751.jpg

Small note, the leisure battery is by Varta.

BEM Code:7P0915105A
JCB45120550TC

12V 75Ah 420A DIN
800A EN/SAE/GS

Another note, when the car is running the voltage on the battery is 13-14V, so power from the car battery does manage to make its way to the leisure battery and the camper electronics.

Yes I believe it will work fine with new leisure batteries. There are two leisure batteries, one under left front seat, and one under wardrobe. You have to replace both…

Another note, when the car is running the voltage on the battery is 13-14V, so power from the car battery does manage to make its way to the leisure battery and the camper electronics.
As said above 2 identical Leisure batteries on the Ocean. 2nd one is below rear wardrobe accessed via panel on L side in the boot. Both new batteries should be charged before replacing and check the 75 or100 amp cube fuse on the red +tve pole of rear battery.

thanks guys, amazing tips!

I ran into this guide as well, I figured following this and buying two Varta LA80 batteries.

Also noticed that the battery in the back actually has the fuse everyone seems to talk about.

WelshGas do you think its fine to connect the batteries and then charge them over the mains plug from the camper or should I use an external battery charger before swapping them?

thanks guys, amazing tips!

I ran into this guide as well, I figured following this and buying two Varta LA80 batteries.

Also noticed that the battery in the back actually has the fuse everyone seems to talk about.

WelshGas do you think its fine to connect the batteries and then charge them over the mains plug from the camper or should I use an external battery charger before swapping them?
The 2 batteries should have fairly equal voltages when connected otherwise the cube fuse can easily blow. Check with a multimeter or charge both out of the vehicle before connecting.

Back