Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

control panel backlight

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Seems like pot luck as to whether you get one that works properly!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Freeley said:
Seems like pot luck as to whether you get one that works properly!

It sounds like it ! Not very good quality control somewhere !

D

Dave Lyne

Freeley said:
This subject has come up several times before.
If your backlight is staying on then it is faulty and the complete panel should be replaced under warranty.
My cali is a 2009 pre facelift and the backlight is off by default - it comes on when you touch any of the control buttons but switches off again after about a minute.
Hello, I have an 09 with control panel display which is becoming very hard to read... any ideas??
DAve

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Dave Lyne said:
Freeley said:
This subject has come up several times before.
If your backlight is staying on then it is faulty and the complete panel should be replaced under warranty.
My cali is a 2009 pre facelift and the backlight is off by default - it comes on when you touch any of the control buttons but switches off again after about a minute.
Hello, I have an 09 with control panel display which is becoming very hard to read... any ideas??
DAve
Having made some enquiries it seems as though it MAY be possible to fix it by replacing a cable inside the unit which would be a lot cheaper than having to replace the whole thing for about £600.
volksvans on here has told me that he can carry out this repair which I would say is probably worth a punt.
He's based in Derbyshire so a long way for me, I've not had time to look into it yet due to work pressures but should be quieter once I'm back from holiday and will hopefully sort something then.

Bleur fleur

Bleur fleur

VIP Member
Mine stays on too...I sleep with my head the other end to avoid the glare. (I wish there were a couple of inches more headroom that end)
Mine is in dealers at the moment...control knob fiddly, so not making electronic connections properly. Out of warrantee :( VW have agreed to replace the panel for half price and dealer will match half of that. Still a bloody expensive knob! But I have agreed to do it as it means a new panel and reassurance that it will work properly and I won't be stranded with a roof up or faulty fridge or heater....and hopefully the light will go out at night!

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Update on this, Cali spent a week in Listers of Coventry having warranty work done. They replaced the control panel & now the back-light switches off, so I no longer need to hang tea towel over it at night !!

M

markh

VIP Member
How were Listers Andy? I'm thinking of taking mine there for some warranty work in the next couple of months.

A

ADevon

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ours stays on - unless the panel is switched off which also switches off the fridge. It is annoying at night - usually cover it up. It is odd that the panel light goes off when driving but can't be switched off when parked. We have learnt to live with it.
Small price to pay for a fun vehicle.

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
markh said:
How were Listers Andy? I'm thinking of taking mine there for some warranty work in the next couple of months.
Excellent. They pre-ordered parts the week before it was booked in. The Master tech that does Cali work came out & went through my list with me & explained a few repairs to me. He also normally does a hand over when collecting Cali, but as I collected mine on a Saturday that did not happen.
I will use them again definitely. Also easy to find !

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
ADevon said:
Ours stays on - unless the panel is switched off which also switches off the fridge. It is annoying at night - usually cover it up. It is odd that the panel light goes off when driving but can't be switched off when parked. We have learnt to live with it.
That is exactly how mine used to behave, shocking quality control somewhere !!

Get it replaced under warranty.

C

coociee

VIP Member
ADevon said:
We are having the same problem with the backlight at night. Is there anyone having a solotion to this problem?
Anders

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
If it is of any help ours goes out at night. Just the little icon for the fridge glows red

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
coociee said:
ADevon said:
We are having the same problem with the backlight at night. Is there anyone having a solotion to this problem?
Anders
Must be a setting in the firmware, but do not know how to access it. Only way I know of is to replace the control panel. Had mine replaced under warranty.

cozmo1589

cozmo1589

VIP Member
Ours has 3 settings. Graphics on but no light, half light and bright light. Find the half light setting great for gently illuminating the interior at night. I always know what time it is plus it Helps me find the porta pottie ;-)

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
A problem we don't have - woo hoo!

Does seem that the troublesome Calis sit in two camps - either mechanical/exterior (ours) or interior issues.

Our interior stuff has all worked fine - no snapping upstairs light, LCD display okay, fridge fine, etc . However it's had a new rear diff, steering column and will soon need the roof bubble issue doing AGAIN! :headbang

blondebier

blondebier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Did anyone actually get a replacement unit and that cured it?

I think we've got this "issue" on our 2018 T6...

We left our parking heater on low all night and this backlight stayed on.

The photo hasn't really captured the illumination, but our control panel did not dim after any amount of time.

It's not annoying enough for me to want to visit a dealer to replace it. (A poke in the eye would be more pleasurable)

Perhaps we should just sleep the other way round...

HTML