Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

control panel backlight

Mine stays on too...I sleep with my head the other end to avoid the glare. (I wish there were a couple of inches more headroom that end)
Mine is in dealers at the moment...control knob fiddly, so not making electronic connections properly. Out of warrantee :( VW have agreed to replace the panel for half price and dealer will match half of that. Still a bloody expensive knob! But I have agreed to do it as it means a new panel and reassurance that it will work properly and I won't be stranded with a roof up or faulty fridge or heater....and hopefully the light will go out at night!

Update on this, Cali spent a week in Listers of Coventry having warranty work done. They replaced the control panel & now the back-light switches off, so I no longer need to hang tea towel over it at night !!

How were Listers Andy? I'm thinking of taking mine there for some warranty work in the next couple of months.

Ours stays on - unless the panel is switched off which also switches off the fridge. It is annoying at night - usually cover it up. It is odd that the panel light goes off when driving but can't be switched off when parked. We have learnt to live with it.
Small price to pay for a fun vehicle.

markh said:
How were Listers Andy? I'm thinking of taking mine there for some warranty work in the next couple of months.

Excellent. They pre-ordered parts the week before it was booked in. The Master tech that does Cali work came out & went through my list with me & explained a few repairs to me. He also normally does a hand over when collecting Cali, but as I collected mine on a Saturday that did not happen.
I will use them again definitely. Also easy to find !

ADevon said:
Ours stays on - unless the panel is switched off which also switches off the fridge. It is annoying at night - usually cover it up. It is odd that the panel light goes off when driving but can't be switched off when parked. We have learnt to live with it.

That is exactly how mine used to behave, shocking quality control somewhere !!

Get it replaced under warranty.

ADevon said:
We are having the same problem with the backlight at night. Is there anyone having a solotion to this problem?
Anders

If it is of any help ours goes out at night. Just the little icon for the fridge glows red

coociee said:
ADevon said:
We are having the same problem with the backlight at night. Is there anyone having a solotion to this problem?
Anders

Must be a setting in the firmware, but do not know how to access it. Only way I know of is to replace the control panel. Had mine replaced under warranty.

Ours has 3 settings. Graphics on but no light, half light and bright light. Find the half light setting great for gently illuminating the interior at night. I always know what time it is plus it Helps me find the porta pottie ;-)

A problem we don't have - woo hoo!

Does seem that the troublesome Calis sit in two camps - either mechanical/exterior (ours) or interior issues.

Our interior stuff has all worked fine - no snapping upstairs light, LCD display okay, fridge fine, etc . However it's had a new rear diff, steering column and will soon need the roof bubble issue doing AGAIN! :headbang

Did anyone actually get a replacement unit and that cured it?

I think we've got this "issue" on our 2018 T6...

We left our parking heater on low all night and this backlight stayed on.

The photo hasn't really captured the illumination, but our control panel did not dim after any amount of time.

It's not annoying enough for me to want to visit a dealer to replace it. (A poke in the eye would be more pleasurable)

Perhaps we should just sleep the other way round...

Back