Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel removal

S

Sasillick

Guest User
I've read that you have to connect the small plugs back first when you install a new control unit - but is there any order in which you need to remove them in the first place??

Richard Teale

Richard Teale

My other van's a bike
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I've read that you have to connect the small plugs back first when you install a new control unit - but is there any order in which you need to remove them in the first place??
Without any such guidance to fall back on I have recently replaced the control panel in my 2011 Cali SE and I connected the largest of the three connectors first. Whether I was lucky not to damage it, lucky I guessed right or it really doesn't matter I will leave to others to judge, but the replacement unit works just fine.

J

JohnEast

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have just had my display repaired by Verotronics bv (from Eindhoven) at a cost of 133euros (plus postage to them). Completely satisfied with the repair, although it's only been reinstalled for a couple of days so I can't comment on the long term reliability.
My California is a 2009 T5.

THIS IS MY GRIPE, concerning the removal of the panel -
Removing the central control panel was a struggle because the VW handbook didn't mention the 2 clips on the top side of the unit, it only mentioned those on the sides. I found out about these extra clips via this club, fortunately I had the time to track down the information; if I were trying to manually close the pop-up roof whilst away from home then I would have been "tearing my hair out".
The 2 top clips are shown on my first picture and the 2 side clips are on the second picture.
Before I found out about the 2 clips on the top I was using a lot of force, thinking the panel was wedged in the opening; after I released the side clips the panel came out smoothly.

DSCF3434.JPG
DSCF3433.JPG

J

JohnEast

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I should have proof read my report before sending, I said that after I released the side clips the panel came out smoothly but I meant to say that it was after releasing the top clips that it came out smoothly.

Our Partners