Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

control panel fault

sbmcd

sbmcd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, we are near lake Cards and last night the control panel stopped working, blank screen. on lesure battery but first time in weeks so batteries fully charged. tried reset with ignition off, that did not work. unit does reset with ignition on but control unit shuts down shortly after ignition being switched off. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are near Lake Garda and just moved the van, air bag error now showing!

You don't reset the panel with the ignition key. That just turns on the backlight. You can try to shut the panel down by pressing the button left under. Pressing that again will restart the panel.

Did you swivel a front seat? This might have triggered the airbag fault due to the connector of the airbag.

Hi all, we are near lake Cards and last night the control panel stopped working, blank screen. on lesure battery but first time in weeks so batteries fully charged. tried reset with ignition off, that did not work. unit does reset with ignition on but control unit shuts down shortly after ignition being switched off. Any advice would be appreciated.
Check the 2 5A fuses(orange) under the passenger seat, one is the waterpump and the other is one of the control panel fuses.

You don't reset the panel with the ignition key. That just turns on the backlight. You can try to shut the panel down by pressing the button left under. Pressing that again will restart the panel.

Did you swivel a front seat? This might have triggered the airbag fault due to the connector of the airbag.

Thanks.

I did the bottom left button re set and that works when the ignition is switched on. The problem I have is the control panel works fine with the ignition on, and on hook up. On battery is the problem, works ok for a short time then cuts out and we loose the fridge. Everything points to low leisure batteries but they show 90 percent. Re the air bags I suspect the seat swivel is the problem, they get turned a lot.

Think I will live with the problem till we return to the UK, unless I can find someone who can just do a temp re set on the airbag. The control panel is woring perfectly except when on battery only so think the control panel may not be the problem.

Check the 2 5A fuses(orange) under the passenger seat, one is the waterpump and the other is one of the control panel fuses.

I removed the fuse to check, it was ok, also hoped it may have just been a poor contact, no luck there.

You might have a faulty battery, causing the problem, but not showing it's defect on the display.
Try to get on hookup as much as you can.

Just beware, if the battery is faulty and you are on hookup, when it starts smelling like rotten eggs, your battery might be cooking. Then get it off hookup asap.

The good old earth body connection might have come loose, some similar happened like this happened to ours, VW tech managed to get his hand around the the back of the fridge to screw it back onto the body

You might have a faulty battery, causing the problem, but not showing it's defect on the display.
Try to get on hookup as much as you can.

Just beware, if the battery is faulty and you are on hookup, when it starts smelling like rotten eggs, your battery might be cooking. Then get it off hookup asap.
Thanks will watch for that.

The good old earth body connection might have come loose, some similar happened like this happened to ours, VW tech managed to get his hand around the the back of the fridge to screw it back onto the body
Will check that

The good old earth body connection might have come loose, somesimilar happened like this happened to ours, VW tech managed to get his hand around the the back of the fridge to screw it back onto the body
Do you know how he accessed that?

We are near Lake Garda and just moved the van, air bag error now showing!

Air bag error now sorted, €15 for re set at a local garage 17km east of Trento. Will ensure the key is out when turning the seats.

Air bag error now sorted, €15 for re set at a local garage 17km east of Trento. Will ensure the key is out when turning the seats.
That may not prevent it happening again as it will depend on the cause but only time will tell. Others who have had this problem have had to lengthen the Airbag wires under the Seat or fix them with cable ties so that the plug is held firmly together.

That may not prevent it happening again as it will depend on the cause but only time will tell. Others who have had this problem have had to lengthen the Airbag wires under the Seat or fix them with cable ties so that the plug is held firmly together.
I know that but for now, and on this trip we now have working air bags. Avoiding having the ignition on or key in while turning the seats should minimise the risk of re occurence.

Control panel fault has mysteriously cured itself, maybe it was just a dodgy fuse connection.

Back