Control panel removal

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I take it that the spoon in the picture has to go in at an angle because the clips seen to be a long way inside? Maybe 10mm.
The surround is just a frame. Push down behind the frame to release the plastic tang/clip from pushing against the back of the frame. I just used a credit card because its wider, less likely to miss the tang.

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I once pulled the whole front off and broke the
ribbon connector.
Luckily i was sending it off to Verotronics anyway,
how lucky was that.

Mike Frost

Mike Frost

2009 130 T5 SE - "BARBARA ANN"
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Okay. See photo. I introduced a double thickness of credit card on each side, pushing the side clips in, but leaving the CU in situ, so that it was absolutely parallel in its housing. I then introduced the two coffee stirrers behind the housing, as per Umberto's photo, and gently manipulated them - they're a tight fit, by the way. After half a minute, the CU box cleared the housing, and I was able to pull it out.

Take care unlocking the clip holding the main plug in the socket, it's very brittle :rolleyes:

CU extracted.jpg

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Okay. See photo. I introduced a double thickness of credit card on each side, pushing the side clips in, but leaving the CU in situ, so that it was absolutely parallel in its housing. I then introduced the two coffee stirrers behind the housing, as per Umberto's photo, and gently manipulated them - they're a tight fit, by the way. After half a minute, the CU box cleared the housing, and I was able to pull it out.

Take care unlocking the clip holding the main plug in the socket, it's very brittle :rolleyes:

View attachment 66310
Did you follow the previous procedures as in the video? Or was this done while everything else was in place.

Mike Frost

Mike Frost

2009 130 T5 SE - "BARBARA ANN"
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Did you follow the previous procedures as in the video? Or was this done while everything else was in place.
Peter,

I followed the video up to the point where Nick (he hasn't called me back, btw) had removed the lower assembly, and was introducing red plastic card to release the side tags/clips. His technique, on the face of it, is flawed, as the Control Unit is then tipped up in it's housing, making the top clips probably hard up against the frame of the mount.

By leaving the CU in place, but freeing the side clips by inserting compression outside each one, in my case by cutting up an old loyalty card, left the CU free to move, once the top clips have been overcome. By keeping the CU level in the housing, my then introducing pressure from above and behind, the CU was then tipped down slightly, with added pressure from the metal stirrers, making it likely to clear the top retaining clips - they don't protrude up very far - which worked, thankfully. Good luck!

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Peter,

I followed the video up to the point where Nick (he hasn't called me back, btw) had removed the lower assembly, and was introducing red plastic card to release the side tags/clips. His technique, on the face of it, is flawed, as the Control Unit is then tipped up in it's housing, making the top clips probably hard up against the frame of the mount.

By leaving the CU in place, but freeing the side clips by inserting compression outside each one, in my case by cutting up an old loyalty card, left the CU free to move, once the top clips have been overcome. By keeping the CU level in the housing, my then introducing pressure from above and behind, the CU was then tipped down slightly, with added pressure from the metal stirrers, making it likely to clear the top retaining clips - they don't protrude up very far - which worked, thankfully. Good luck!
Thanks for the answer.. I have just bought the fascia kit as I know mine is a bit iffy have printed off your pics so when it comes time I will follow your procedure...