Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

control panel

S

stig

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi. Just got my "new" car (2001) and I have one question regarding the control panel. Is these symbols supposed to bees seen also when the engins turned off and key is in my pocket?Unknown-3.jpg

Hi and welcome on your first post .
As i got a T5 SE can not help in your issue , but i guess the panel shows the bat. , water , ...status at all time .
At least on my T5 model .
The T4 smurf owners will gve you more details.

Less of the 'Smurf' owners @hotel california. We T4 Pop Toppers have the very same control panel as our larger siblings. :rolleyes:

@stig. You should indeed see information on the display when you have the keys in your pocket and the engine is off. Yours is suggesting your fresh water is full, but you should have an actual voltage on there instead of dashes, along with some bars that represent the remaining capacity of your battery.

Plug her in for a charge, leisure batteries are hopefully just flat. I had the same dashes (no voltage) and it didn't turn out well, had to get new batteries :eek:

I'm going to have to check the "keys in the pocket bit"! I've never checked (and my water guides are hopeless). I wouldn't worry. It's a Westy ;)

Less of the 'Smurf' owners @hotel california. We T4 Pop Toppers have the very same control panel as our larger siblings. :rolleyes:

@stig. You should indeed see information on the display when you have the keys in your pocket and the engine is off. Yours is suggesting your fresh water is full, but you should have an actual voltage on there instead of dashes, along with some bars that represent the remaining capacity of your battery.

Oh i thought it said he had a high (smurf) top , seems it says pop top , or i was wrong or he has changed it ...was not trying to offence anybody , now i know the panels are the same in both of those;)

Yes, they should work without keys in the ignition.

As said, missing voltage is probably flat or dead batteries. Could be wiring issues, but I'd start with the batteries.

The water level indicator, assuming there is no water in the tank, is probably just broken. Very few people have a fully working water indicator :) Not sure how you remove them on the late vans, but if you can, just check the floats are moving freely. Replacement sensors are available from Gunzl if it's a worry.

now i know the panels are the same in both of those

The panels are used across the Westfalia range, including VW, Ford and Mercedes until recently. There is an updated version in the new Jokers, probably in the Fiats too.

Last edited:
Tkx for the intel Dan , learing every day:thumb
I can check out a Westie wright now as theres one parked up next to mine ...
We are on a visit in France at my brother in- laws place and he has one....
Counter says +236 000 km and running:D on the leftone....the rightone got bit less..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you - then I just have to wait for the summer to come here i Norway :)

Oh i thought it said he had a high (smurf) top , seems it says pop top , or i was wrong or he has changed it ...was not trying to offence anybody , now i know the panels are the same in both of those;)
@hotel california. No offence taken. :thumb We're all here to help when needed and inspire when the fuel tank is full.

Back