Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Westfalia Central Control Panel lighting

mrcheesbrough

mrcheesbrough

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
One for the T4 California brigade this.

Do any of you have fully illuminating Central Control Panels? The display on my Central Control Panel illuminates when the vehicle sidelights are turned on, and when you are camped up and operate the panel but I've noticed the buttons don't illuminate in either circumstance. Now I love a good fumble about in the dark but I'm just trying to decide whether this is a fault or not. It may be something I do nothing about if it is as the Control Panel works fine (touch wood) but I'm interested to know.

Off the top of my head, couldn't say... But will have a gander this evening ;)

Display lights up. Buttons don't.
We are talking kit designed shortly after the earth cooled don't forget.

@sidepod Ha ha. Yeah true. I thought this might of been the case. Had to ask though as it seems bit of an oversight. Even after 5 years using the blasted things in the dark I still can't remember which button is where.

@bxl_lad If you wouldn't mind. I don't want to appear 'ageist' (apologies @sidepod) but I think your Westy is around the same age as mine. You never know they may of made some evolutionary advancement by then.

Taken a look, buttons don't light up on mine either... I guess that's the norm:talktothehand

@bxl_lad Thanks for taking a look. Good to know it's not a fault. Bit of a shame though, I think they missed a trick there. :rolleyes:

...or they're all just not working! (like the water level meter!) :headbang

Anyone got a hack for this? ;)

Ha. Could be the case. We're all in it together. :thumb
No hack I know of for the water level sender. The T3 one's could be repaired with a bit of careful dismantling and some skilful soldering. The T4 one is a bit less, er, serviceable(?) Ours didn't work, I forked out and bought a new one from busshop.de. Not cheap but an easy fix once you have the part in hand.

No hack I know of for the water level sender. The T3 one's could be repaired with a bit of careful dismantling and some skilful soldering. The T4 one is a bit less, er, serviceable(?) Ours didn't work, I forked out and bought a new one from busshop.de. Not cheap but an easy fix once you have the part in hand.

131€ !:Nailbiting
Think i can live without it... ;)

Didn't realise I have an issue?

Which tank level doesn't work , waste or fresh.

@bxl_lad Thanks for taking a look. Good to know it's not a fault. Bit of a shame though, I think they missed a trick there. :rolleyes:

Hmm... Found this image from a 2001 Freestyle... shows the buttons illuminated... Maybe there is a bulb in there after all?

Anyone dare to open one up to have a look?
illuminated control panel.jpg

Mmm, now you've got me intrigued. I think my switches light up green, but I have also got the earlier instrument cluster with the green lights. I'll have a check tomorrow. VW swapped the main cluster in 2000, so all the post 2000 vans have a cool red light on their main instrument cluster and from the photo, it appears on the top control panel.

I also appear to have one of the few working fresh water tank gauges! :)

There is a thread somewhere dealing with converting the lighting colour to blue.

That may shed some light on the subject...... Get it? , shed some lig......ahem.

Hmm... Found this image from a 2001 Freestyle... shows the buttons illuminated... Maybe there is a bulb in there after all?

Anyone dare to open one up to have a look?
View attachment 13571

Arghh! So someone somewhere has a backlit Control panel. I had read something on it sometime ago, but I wasn't sure if it just a modification rather than an original factory feature. More investigation required methinks.

According to this document the T4 Control Panel Controls light up if any control is pressed or the sidelights are on. See Page 26 and 66

http://www.westfaliat4.info/VW-T4-Westfalia-CaliforniaCoach-Manual-English-1998.pdf
That's right. As the manual suggests the display lights up when a button is pressed or the side or headlights are on. What I wanted to establish was whether anyone had a Control Panel with backlit buttons. Consensus so far seems to suggest not. Which is a shame as it would make fumbling in the dark to operate the heater a little less of a challenge. No doubt a problem you T5 owners don't suffer with your remote controls. ;)

Any update on fixing the water levels sender? Mines not working either. Display level drops to empty when switch disconnected so must be the transmitter.

Any update on fixing the water levels sender? Mines not working either. Display level drops to empty when switch disconnected so must be the transmitter.
No hack for the water level sender I'm afraid. I've read that the T3 ones can be spilt open and repaired, this isn't so with the T4 from investigation. A bit frustrating really as it's just a simple circuit where the resistance is increased, or decreased by a floating magnet operating a reed switch. I guess over time the resistors pack up or the switches start to stick. The part can still be bought from VW I think. If not busshop.de sell them. Gulp.

Back