Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel

C

C&HinNorwich

VIP Member
Quick question...,

Should the control panel turn off even when static? It goes off whilst driving in ours but stays ON when parked up - it's very bright in the pitch black.

We had to hire a couple of calis whilst ours had work done and in both vehicles the panel turned off when parked up.

Thanks for any answers

Hiedi

It stays on in our 2010 facelift. Very bright also. We sometimes hang something in front of it but this week, we have been dead to the world the instant our heads hit the pillows!!

Yes my 2011 is very bright in the dark & also hang a tea towel over it. This seems to be another of the calis niggles.

Andy said:
Yes my 2011 is very bright in the dark & also hang a tea towel over it. This seems to be another of the calis niggles.

Our 2009 goes out after a few seconds... Wonder if there's a difference in the settings?

M

Great result,

Took it to van centre, they told us unit was faulty as they should turn off, they replaced it and now turns off :bananadance

Don't often get a result from our van centre but this was a welcome exception

:thumb

Hi,

The back light on the control panel on our 2011 Cali will not turn off. It dimms after a few minutes but still seems really bright so much so that we are thinking of making a screen to go over it.

When VW replaced the control panel does yours go off even when the roof is up or the fridge / heating is on? Which VW dealer fixed it?

I'm hoping I can get our van centre to replace it if so but they don't seem to know much about the California

Thanks in advance

Michael & Heidi

mic_b said:
When VW replaced the control panel does yours go off even when the roof is up or the fridge / heating is on? Which VW dealer fixed it?

Yes it does, down side to is we have to push the button each time we want to see the time or status but it does make a big difference when trying to sleep downstairs now

Rather than starting a new very similar thread I thought I'd add my problem to this one.
Just been away for a weekend locally and noticed over the course of 3 days that some lines have appeared on the control panel display. Looks a bit like the dead pixels you can get on TVs except that its complete rows. Started off with just one line but has grown to 3 or 4 the last time I looked yesterday, all near the bottom of the display where the date and time are.
Does anybody know if anything can be done to restore the display or is it on its way out?
I'm a year out of warranty but like one of the above posters I will probably ask my dealer if VW would
consider contributing to the cost of replacing the unit in whole or part.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

C&HinNorwich said:
mic_b said:

Yes it does, down side to is we have to push the button each time we want to see the time or status but it does make a big difference when trying to sleep downstairs now

Great thanks i'll see if I can get my local van centre to do the same. Which garage did that for you?

Cheers

Michael

Hi freely, have the same problem - no replies to yours yet?

No it seems not.
It has slightly repaired itself in so much as currently i have just 2 lines of the display missing both still at the bottom section of the display. At its worst there were 4 lines missing.
I'm guessing that eventually the display will pack up completely :cry:

Just wondered if there was an easy fix, isn't there a hidden reset option that involves pressing more than 1 button simultaneously?

Where is your display having the problem is it near the bottom as well?

Oddly my display black lines are in the middle.... and yes it is getting worse

As of last weekend the lines have spread all the way up the display panel and is barely readable now. Looks like a call to my dealer is in order and a year out of warranty too :cry:

Freeley said:
Rather than starting a new very similar thread I thought I'd add my problem to this one.
Just been away for a weekend locally and noticed over the course of 3 days that some lines have appeared on the control panel display. Looks a bit like the dead pixels you can get on TVs except that its complete rows. Started off with just one line but has grown to 3 or 4 the last time I looked yesterday, all near the bottom of the display where the date and time are.

Hi, I have a 2009 cali with the same problem. I thought it might be due to dampness in the control panel as I'd been camping in a bit of a storm. The dead lines came back after a few days. This has reoccured 2-3 times over the last few months (between 1 and 3 dead lines each time), but has been fine for a while now. I'm trying to ignore it and hope it goes away!

This used to happen on older Saabs. For a while it was a full replacement, but then an enterprising individual worked out how to fix them and started doing a 'swap' service for much less money. You can now buy kits to do it yourself (still on Saabs here)
http://diyspareparts.net/saab.html

If you are stuck and get a scary price from the dealer, it may be worth doing a bit of saab research. I think they concluded it was a 'ribbon' cable problem.

That's interesting wonder if its a similar fix for the cali?
Has anybody who's removed their panel noticed if there's a ribbon cable?

Hopefully my link proves helpful but I'm now worried that electronics and automotive engineering may have moved on since my 1993 Saab! I think parts of it were steam powered.............

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a guy who had repaired his, don't remember where it was though, facebook or german possibly.
Trouble with that type of circuit & ribbon cable is that the connections are VERY close together & VERY narrow which means soldering new ribbon in is a major pain & chances of a short are high. Tis well beyond my eyesight unfortunately.
Good luck with the repair if you go that way.

Ah i was kind of hoping the ribbon would just plug in!
I rang my van centre earlier and they identified the cable on their system, they are going to let me know if it's a possible fix or not.
They confirmed that when they get any faulty control panels they are replaced as a whole part.

Freeley said:
Ah i was kind of hoping the ribbon would just plug in!
I rang my van centre earlier and they identified the cable on their system, they are going to let me know if it's a possible fix or not.
They confirmed that when they get any faulty control panels they are replaced as a whole part.

Maybe they are plugin then & I'm getting confused in my old age !

Hmmm.... 2009 Cali and my display has just started playing up :-( I am hoping that once back from France and the 36degree temperatures it'll return to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barryjm said:
Hmmm.... 2009 Cali and my display has just started playing up :-( I am hoping that once back from France and the 36degree temperatures it'll return to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Don't count on it. Mine started playing up during our recent heatwave but hasn't improved at all since the rain returned.
It hasn't got any worse though so think I'll leave it for now.

Another dodgy control panel. What a surprise. Touchy subject with me at the moment but all will be well again on Tuesday when it's fixed. Pity my bank account won't be feeling so well! Fingers crossed for you! Mines a 2009 too but issue was with the rotary knob.

Are you having the unit replaced? And are Vw contributing to the cost?

Back