Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking assistance in Beach

Thanks MF, really useful. I was after something which will essentially be inside a Beach. I note you mention inside and out. I will visit Decathlon but before I do, would you think in your opinion they are OK for primarily indoor use?

It's just all the usual health and safety stuff re' carbon monoxide. Although I have never seen the difference between these and built in (ie SE/Ocean kitchens) hobs - surely they are all the same and as long as you have adequate ventilation when using a cooker then that's that.

Again though IME cooking inside a van is not great in so many ways - mess, fumes, splattering, steam, smells, hassle, room to swing a cat etc... :confused: We only ever boiled a kettle inside but I'm a fair weather fairy TBH and camping for us is an activity best done in July/August in warm regions of Europe. :happy

How will you fit a 13kg Propane cylinder into a sealed gas locker in your factory conversion T6 (when it comes)? (not sure if you are waiting a Beach or a SE/Ocean/full-fat etc)

And why would you need to carry that much quantity of gas around in a tiny campervan?

The OP wants a neat simple solution to cook in/out of his Beach - lugging around a great big 13kg gas bottle is hardly practical?

The 20 odd gas carts we carried are super easy to store in the storage areas or in our case in the kitchen pod or in boxes under the rear seat and dare I say it (WG) I would indeed feel a lot safer travelling like this than with a huge (and IME more prone to leaks) single gas cylinder with all it's inherent weight, bulk, retention, safety issues etc. And that must be installed in a sealed gas chamber with drop out to floor.
:Iamsorry But I must Disagree that carrying 20 Gas Cartridges is safer than a refillable gas Cylinder that is designed and built to withstand significant forces from all directions and carried in a specially designed gas holder. There are Regulations regarding carrying LPG in a Campervan, and the Beach is classed as a Campervan.
I carry 1 Disposable cartridge, not 20, and I've had cartridges that leaked in the past even New bought from well known stockists.
You might feel safer carrying 20 gas cartridges in a vehicle with your family, I wouldn't. I would much prefer a robust, safety tested, gas Cylinder in a purpose built compartment. :thumb

So some people comment on carrying a 907 in a purpose built gas container, unplugging it to travel etc: Etc:and even unplugging when away from the van and here you are loading up a vehicle with 20 odd gas cartridges tucked here and there in all those little spaces not designed to
Oh get real and don't be so daft WG, what a silly post. :rolleyes:
Actually I share WG's concerns. Certainly not a silly post. Far from it.

Before I explain, lets just be clear about what we are dealing with here. My apologies to anyone that already knows this but for those that don't it is worth knowing that LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) is heavier than air and will, if it escapes, form gas which will gather at the lowest point where it will either dissipate or possibly create an almost instantaneous intense violent fire if it comes in contact with a suitable ignition source. If involved in fire the contents of just one of these thin walled LPG cartridges will create a fireball bigger than your Cali. So whilst being an excellent fuel for various camping related applications it does deserve considerable respect.

My concerns are:

1. Why Is it necessary to take 20 canisters of gas in a Cali?

2. Whilst I am sure that most people are careful how they store these thin walled cylinders, it's not impossible that unsympathetic storage in a moving vibrating motor vehicle could over time result in mechanical damage leading to a leak.
I remember in the past accidentally dropping a similar cylinder from waist height causing a dent and a pin prick leak! Whilst most people should be able to smell the stenching agent in the leaking gas, there are some whose sense of smell isn't as good as it used to be. So it is just possible for dangerous situations to develop without the occupants knowledge.

3. Leaving aside the occupants, in a serious road traffic collision the contents of your Cali along with any dislodged fixtures and fittings will move violently. Add to this any deformation of the vehicle's structure caused by the impact and you can see that storing these thin walled gas cylinders needs very careful consideration indeed. In order to minimise the risk, if I used these cylinders I wouldn't store any in the rear boot area or anywhere close to the sides of the vehicle. The last thing you need in the seconds after a serious crash is leaking LPG in an environment where there will be multiple potential ignition sources.

If I used these cylinders I would only take the minimum number that I actually needed. I certainly wouldn't entertain taking twenty. Personally I would store them individually in bubble wrap so that there is no free movement, under the centre of the rear seat.

We carry a Campingaz 907 cylinder in our Beach which is packed tightly into a really usefull box as far forward as it's possible for it to be, centrally behind the rear bench seat. At least these 907 cylinders are very strong and robustly built so should withstand a bit more punishment. You certainly wouldn't want to carry anything this heavy and unrestrained in your boot. It would be like a missile in an accident.

A further thought. When tackling an incident involving a campervan the emergency services would expect to find LPG cylinders present. However as a Cali Beach might appear to be more akin to a minibus they will not necessarily be expecting it to be carrying highly flammable gas. I would suggest that to protect them from the possible consequences we should all display a suitable warning badge.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm liking the simplicity of this:-

One of these I presume

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping...gclid=CKTXv97W6dECFUqT7QodN90OMA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm still looking at cooking options for outside. Have an Ocean but want to cook outside when possible. Seems a more disposable option to the Cadac safari 2 but I have not tried one yet.

Mike
Just returned my JetBoil Sumo and internal bowls as it was damaged on arrival despite costing the thick end of £150 discounted. Going for the £14.99 Option! Jetboil is hi tech and will work in extreme weather up a high mountain, but on reflection my Beach won't be going there!

The fridge is another issue - we had a small portable Waeco 12v model that worked great for four.
The beauty of a 3 way fridge is that before leaving home it can be pre-cooled at 240v, on the move it can be plugged into a suitable 12v socket, and you can leave it in a tent all day, and it just slurps through 10g gas per hour.

We also have an electric cooling box which I suspect we will take.

For cooking I have not ruled out changing the regulator to CampingGaz and taking two 907s because of the ease of refilling in Europe, but I baulk at the price.

The beauty of a 3 way fridge is that before leaving home it can be pre-cooled at 240v, on the move it can be plugged into a suitable 12v socket, and you can leave it in a tent all day, and it just slurps through 10g gas per hour.

For cooking I have not ruled out changing the regulator to CampingGaz and taking two 907s because of the ease of refilling in Europe, but I baulk at the price.
We collected our ex demo SE at beginning of October 2015. The dealer had fitted a full 907 in June, three months before. He used it several times during the demo period. Whilst not being heavy uses we have used it regularly on picnics, numerous short breaks and a couple of longish UK tours and it still hasn't run out. We also carry a spare.

Remember what you are buying. The initial cost is for the longterm hire of a pressure tested, safely constructed container. You can get empty ones on eBay or elsewhere that have been purchased for reasonable prices. Refills are much cheaper, especially on the Continent. That's why VW chose them for the SE/Ocean. A 904 bottle is just a half height 907 and ideal as a spare to carry.
Each time you purchase a refill you are getting a container that has been pressure tested as they just swop a full for an empty. All refillable containers have to be pressure tested before filling. Even fitted tanks should be pressure tested on a regular basis.

We collected our ex demo SE at beginning of October 2015. The dealer had fitted a full 907 in June, three months before. He used it several times during the demo period. Whilst not being heavy uses we have used it regularly on picnics, numerous short breaks and a couple of longish UK tours and it still hasn't run out. We also carry a spare.
We will be heavy users. We plan to eat out no more than once or twice a week, usually at lunchtimes when eating out is generally cheaper. Teas, coffees and toast under the grill in the morning; hot drinks with a picnic lunch; and rice/pasta with a sauce and salad in the evenings, followed by coffee.

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: PJW
Remember what you are buying. The initial cost is for the longterm hire of a pressure tested, safely constructed container. You can get empty ones on eBay or elsewhere that have been purchased for reasonable prices. Refills are much cheaper, especially on the Continent. That's why VW chose them for the SE/Ocean. A 904 bottle is just a half height 907 and ideal as a spare to carry.
Each time you purchase a refill you are getting a container that has been pressure tested as they just swop a full for an empty. All refillable containers have to be pressure tested before filling. Even fitted tanks should be pressure tested on a regular basis.
The initial outlay is not my worry - it's the cost of refills.
13Kg of propane refill is £32 (£2.50/Kg) RRP
2.75Kg of CampingGaz refill is £40 (£14.50/Kg) RRP

Both refills can be bought for about half the RRP.

The initial outlay is not my worry - it's the cost of refills.
13Kg of propane refill is £32 (£2.50/Kg) RRP
2.75Kg of CampingGaz refill is £40 (£14.50/Kg) RRP

Both refills can be bought for about half the RRP.
Not sure where you're getting your refill prices from but my local camping shop charges less than 50% of the CampingGaz prices you are quoting and on the Continent even less.
As you are planning on spending a significant amount of time on the Continent I would look at what is available there and not in the UK.
http://www.campingaz.com/UK/t-retailerlocator.aspx

Calor gas and Super Gas are not available on Mainland Europe

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/guidetosummercamping/onyourholiday/gas/

I carry a 6kg Propane and have a 907 both with quick release connectors which are attached to my Cadac. When out for a few days I take both as neither take up much room. I never have to worry about getting hold of a refill or running out either here or abroad.

I just bit the bullet and went for this :) but the Cadac and bistro will still get some use I'm sure
5b4d693215336466770718bc08bf9480.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had this fitted yet? I'm looking at building my own as I don't want to use the full width but would really like to see one in the flesh as they do look great bits of kit!

IMG_0661.JPG

I made this for my bay as like others have said I don't want to cook in the van but to be able to slide the door open and sit on the step watching the world go by as I wait for the kettle to boil was one of my favourite things!

Back to the Cali & I'm thinking similar to the slidepod but only half the width of the boot opening but then utilise the depth more as we never move the rear seat back further than what its at which drops straight into bed mode this then leaves the other half of the boot open & easy to access other stuff we carry!

I have two stoves for inside the van but to be honest I've only ever used one.

A camping gaz bistro which uses those aerosol style cans. Although I have to say amazon is a rip off right now, I paid £6.50 for mine in Tesco during a sale at the end of the season. This is the only stove I've ever used inside the van to boil the kettle its surprisingly good and fast to heat up so I've never tried anything else. I used it on the table but iwth the roof up (down I suspect it may be a bit close).

I also have a alcohol based dual burner similar to a Dometic Origo but far cheaper, that runs from alcohol gel. Its odorless and cheaper to put fuel in. Is it as hot? I've not used it in anger but I expect not. IN theory the alcohol is better too because if it leaks it will just evaporate over time. Again not had to find out.

+1 for this.

Whilst not being a beach owner I always cary one of these around in case my gas runs out, or in case I get the opportunity to set up outside. Take up no space, being thin and flat, stable when used inside or out. Brilliant little things and like Matt got mine quite cheap (Go-outdoors).... in fact they were £7.50 a couple of months ago so bought another two for when we have a big BBQ at home.

As the weather is getting better I am getting more excited for using my new solution :D

The slidepod is in and looking good (in my humble opinion). I think it may even be a bit lighter than the multiflex board was or at least no heavier. It takes two small Cadac HP canisters but I have found some bigger capacity ones but cheaper that fit :D

Looks like the type are quite easy to find and small too. Need to find out if they are removable once fitted or if they have to stay in place until used.

I am trying to decide if I will still take the cadac safari chef with me with a little adapter I can use the same canisters which saves carrying extra ones.

2017 Iphone 249.JPG

Have you had this fitted yet? I'm looking at building my own as I don't want to use the full width but would really like to see one in the flesh as they do look great bits of kit!

View attachment 19516

I made this for my bay as like others have said I don't want to cook in the van but to be able to slide the door open and sit on the step watching the world go by as I wait for the kettle to boil was one of my favourite things!

Back to the Cali & I'm thinking similar to the slidepod but only half the width of the boot opening but then utilise the depth more as we never move the rear seat back further than what its at which drops straight into bed mode this then leaves the other half of the boot open & easy to access other stuff we carry!

That is a great solution and I must admit I think you are right, something half width could be good too. That said if you look at the pic I posted above the right side is all storage which is pretty roomy. I am looking forward to using it in anger and I will let you know how I get on with it storage wise.

As the weather is getting better I am getting more excited for using my new solution :D

The slidepod is in and looking good (in my humble opinion). I think it may even be a bit lighter than the multiflex board was or at least no heavier. It takes two small Cadac HP canisters but I have found some bigger capacity ones but cheaper that fit :D

Looks like the type are quite easy to find and small too. Need to find out if they are removable once fitted or if they have to stay in place until used.

I am trying to decide if I will still take the cadac safari chef with me with a little adapter I can use the same canisters which saves carrying extra ones.

View attachment 19518

I hadn't realised the slidepod replaces the flexboard, I'd imagine that would free up a bit of space both height & width! Let us know how you get on?

They do the option of using the multiflex or getting a pod that replaces it which I was told allows a slightly larger pod.

@MattBW is correct we do the ultra slidepod model which fits in conjunction with the multiflex board and the multi slidepod model (which is the one Matt has) this replaces the multiflex board completely thus saving weight and allows for a larger pod with more storage. At first we found that most (3 seater) Cali Beach owners chose the ultra model as it is slightly cheaper than the multi model however last summer we started offering a trade in value against the multiflex board when purchasing the Multi slidepod which actually made it cheaper to buy the Multislidepod. After that the Multi Slidepod became far more popular with (3 seater) beach owners than the ultra slidepod :thumb. I do have a demo multipod available at the moment again for try before you buy for just £30 per night and if you go on to order one we will wave the rental fee (max 7 nights)

@MattBW is correct we do the ultra slidepod model which fits in conjunction with the multiflex board and the multi slidepod model (which is the one Matt has) this replaces the multiflex board completely thus saving weight and allows for a larger pod with more storage. At first we found that most (3 seater) Cali Beach owners chose the ultra model as it is slightly cheaper than the multi model however last summer we started offering a trade in value against the multiflex board when purchasing the Multi slidepod which actually made it cheaper to buy the Multislidepod. After that the Multi Slidepod became far more popular with (3 seater) beach owners than the ultra slidepod :thumb. I do have a demo multipod available at the moment again for try before you buy for just £30 per night and if you go on to order one we will wave the rental fee (max 7 nights)
Hi @SlidePods
What's the height difference between the two pods in the pulled out cooking positions please ?

Slightly lower than the multiflex top

Thanks Matt
Asking as my wife is fairly short and trying to decide which would suit her better , I would prefer the multi but it might be to high for her.
We have spoken on the phone and you have sent me a purchase order on a multi but need to make sure it's the right one for her first .
If you know the finished height of the multi we have a better idea but we don't have are cali beach yet or know anyone who has one to measure this .
Don't know the next time we will be at are local dealer as it's not local .

Cheers

Ill measure mine later when I get home and let you know

I guess it will also depend on the suspension you have, mine is standard.

If you're ever near Warwickshire I am happy to show you my setup. I don't work for slidepods, just a customer of theirs. :)

Ill measure mine later when I get home and let you know

I guess it will also depend on the suspension you have, mine is standard.

If you're ever near Warwickshire I am happy to show you my setup. I don't work for slidepods, just a customer of theirs. :)
That's great thanks for your help ,
I don't plan on changing the riding height on my beach either ,unless slide pod is to high for her !
I think the slide pod is a great idea , what do you think of yours as you already have one ?

Back