Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking assistance in Beach

Don´t know if it´s been mentioned.
Be careful chaps with your gas cans/bottles in your non
vented Beach.

A mate of mine had a slow gas leak, when he locked the van a dodgy wire
ignited the gas.
Our other mates had to smash the back window to put the fire out.
We had gone off walking around the Vanfest.

Could have been a real disaster.
We were all boxed in, in the traders area 6 inches between vans.

I have bought the camping gaz one for safety there are reports of the cheaper ones going up in flames although probably being used by idiots...

I have this one: 32.5 x 22 x 12 cm

View attachment 29309

Have you tried boiling a kettle on this yet? I bought one & it took forever & ended up ditching it for the Campingaz version of the cheap ones although I was using it outdoors so maybe better inside with no wind...

No idea yet but it gets good reviews and somebody posted that they have used one with success for ages....

I have been (and still am) using one of those in my pod. Still going strong after 4.5 years. Fitted a plate to the bottom so that it can attached to the pod. Singe thumbscrew to remove to use outside or change the cartridge.
Only negative is that as the gas runs out you do lose pressure and boiling a kettle takes longer.

See above for at least one proven track record... :)

(Except when the gas runs low)

I have one of the cheap and cheerful ones which has given many years of good service. They work best (and very efficiently) when the gas canisters are full and there is no wind. Performance deteriorates rapidly in windy conditions/low gas.
I would point out that these devices are intended for outdoor use and/or in well ventilated areas. I expect that the instructions will warn against use in cars etc. I don't know to what extent these may be any less safe than, for example, the fixed burner in the SE/Ocean, or even a caravan, but I imagine the vented gas cupboard etc. that you (should) have with a fixed installation has a safety benefit

I don't know to what extent these may be any less safe than, for example, the fixed burner in the SE/Ocean, or even a caravan, but I imagine the vented gas cupboard etc. that you (should) have with a fixed installation has a safety benefit
Here in France it's now obligatory to have a floor vent if you install a kitchen unit with one of those bistro cookers, so there must be a safety concern...

Completely agree and trains of thought that I had too before I purchased. It won't suit everyone, it probably depends on how and where you holiday.

Warm summer months or European holidays it's perfectly suited. Likewise if you use an awning then it's going to work, as you can just unhitch it and put it in the awning. If its cold then you will probably not want to be out there.

I think my own conversion moment was at Camperjam, making a coffee under the tailgate on Jonny's van, it was raining and realising I was neither cold or wet. I love cooking outdoors too.

I intend to do a full video review of the pod, but only after some good use in real situations. I don't have an internal pod to review sadly unless Jonny comes up with one and fancies some field tests. ;)

Hi @MattBW , Did you ever do a video review of the Slidepod as it looks great! as it allows to keep space within the CAli. Thanks to
@Max-Felix for the link to this thread - Great hints and tips here!!!

Hi @MarkVw2017 I have filmed it, I just havent edited it together yet. So it will be here very soon, probably after the next video due any day.

@MarkVw2017 there is some brief footage of the pod in here as I use it for everything on our Beach. I dont use the sink much to behonest but the cooker is great as is the storage.

With a compressor fridge you are pretty much set.

@MarkVw2017 there is some brief footage of the pod in here as I use it for everything on our Beach. I dont use the sink much to behonest but the cooker is great as is the storage.

Thank you very much!!

Great video @MattBW, food looked lovely!!!. Looks fantastic that pod, cant wait to see your review on it as it wouow be nice to see the stoarage etc as well

We have one of these double burners and grill for tent camping:
bl_173483_a

We've attached a propane regulator and use 5 Kg patio gas cylinders:
cylinder_patio_5kg.jpg

We intend to try using this set up in our Beach once it arrives, but intend to cook outside or in the awning, not in the van.

A double burner extends cooking options. Pasta on one burner, sauce heating up on the other.

We had that stove too. We've just replaced it with a single burner with aerosols. We also have a Solo Stove for the evenings. We've only tested the latter at home and cooked one meal on it, but it's great. I think this will do us for now, with no need for the double stove. (We are a family of 2 adults, 2 kids age 5 & 7.)

Been a busy few weeks / months but wanted to share this with my fellow Beach adventurers!

Had a ferry booked for a 2 week Portugal trip & having already purchased the Vanessa bags due to storage space and ease of accessing our clothing my attention turned to having an all in one box camp kitchen.

I settled for a metal deeds box which I've been using to store junk in my wardrobe & dissapeared to the garage to see what bits n bobs I had & worked out what we needed for a very basic camp kitchen on the go!

Camp Kitchen 1.jpg

The box was already plastered in some home made stickers but I wasn't too worried about the look of the thing & the idea was to sit my cooker on the lid, I found a couple of fold down shelf bracket things and attached those to the side & used an old wooden chopping board for the shelf.

Camp Kitchen 2.jpg

Next I raided the normal camping box & grabbed what I thought would be the absolute minimum we would need for our trip along with the canister cooker, made a little wooden box thing so when removed everything else doesn't fall into its space.

Camp Kitchen 3.jpg

Camp Kitchen 5.jpg

I bought a very cheap hiking style cook set which looked as if it belonged in a doll's house but worked a treat.

Camp Kitchen 4.jpg

The box also contained the most useful purchase this year and we managed to cook various items in this & was especially useful for toast in the mornings!

The plan is once my metal man has sorted the boot drawer for our Beach I shall be constructing something a bit bigger for our adventures!

P.S. I carried 5 cans of gas in a smallish metal ammunition box bought from my local army surplus store & managed to find a Decatlon store not far from Alvor when we needed more.

Has any one used one of these (or equivalent) inside their beach? These work with the standard Coleman/ Primus gas canisters (Like jetboil).

(I've been using one of these tent camping outside & found it really convenient as it packs down really small- but the van's not arrived yet,!)

Jetboil / Alpkit looks good but I'd not want to be limited by their mini-pans, also aren't they a bit unstable?

vango-2017-technical-essentials-folding-gas-stove-windshield-_-piezo-hi.jpg

I have used one of those exact same models occasionally with an adapter to fit Campinggaz CP 250 cartridges (not in a Cali, just general Bushcrafty type stuff).

However, I *much* prefer the full monty cartridge stoves TBH (the post below was made early '17 with pics from 16 but we're still using the exact same set up summer 17 & 18).

Cooking assistance in Beach

Has anyone tried one of these Kampa Solo stoves *inside* the beach?

Looks stable and keeps the heat away from table.

ga1104-kampa-solo-single-burner-stove-1.1530152556.jpg

Last edited:
I'll refer the gentleman to the reply I gave above! ;) Cartridge cookers: clean, stable, safe, powerful, cheap.

The item you show looks distinctly unstable with anything other than a small pot on it.

Back