Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant Leak- dripping at back of engine

Y

YorkshireCali

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Evening All,

Started the van today - coolant warning light came on - topped up the coolant level and then drove the van - everything working fine.

Got home and checked the level - it had reduced again. I then noticed a wet patch under the van - passenger side towards the back of the engine.

I've taken a couple of photos as best I can where there are obvious signs of wetness. One looking into the rear of the engine from the wheel arch - passenger side, and one looking into the engine from above the coolant tank (a rubber bung near the bulk head seemed wet). Obviously it could be dripping from elsewhere and making things wet.

Any thoughts what it could be? I'll need to get it booked in tomorrow.

IMG_2479.jpeg

IMG_2481.jpeg

Would help if I added it's a 2016, 150 DSG.

Looks like moisture from aircon .Drips out of that rubber bung.

It's definitely a coolant leak - I've had to top it up twice today as it dropped from max to min and the coolant warning light came on.

Perhaps the rubber bung is a red herring then as I just noticed it was wet. There is a fairly continual drip (like a drip every 30 seconds) somewhere near the rear of the engine, passenger side.

I'll call the garage in the morning and get it booked in... hoping it's nothing major.

Possibly an EGR leak,
EGR is on the near side of the engine at the rear.

just to close this thread, it ended up being a leaking water pump - despite this being changed 12 months ago along with the cambelt!

just to close this thread, it ended up being a leaking water pump - despite this being changed 12 months ago along with the cambelt!
Thanks for closing this out ,

The water pump is on the opposite side of the engine block to the EGR. (Drivers side U.K. - off side ) your first post suggested the wet patch was on the near / passenger side.

glad you got it sorted

Thanks for closing this out ,

The water pump is on the opposite side of the engine block to the EGR. (Drivers side U.K. - off side ) your first post suggested the wet patch was on the near / passenger side.

glad you got it sorted
Hi Perfectos,

It turns out the coolant was pooling in the rubber sump cover and leaking everywhere, the bottom of the engine needed a steam clean afterwards. Took the garage quite some time to identify the source.

Regards
Robin

Hi Perfectos,

It turns out the coolant was pooling in the rubber sump cover and leaking everywhere, the bottom of the engine needed a steam clean afterwards. Took the garage quite some time to identify the source.

Regards
Robin
Doesn’t the plastic under tray attach to the sub frame ?

for the bottom of the engine (sump) to be sitting in coolant the whole undertray would need to be submerged? In which case the coolant would pour out the back / front when the vehicle moved ?

if the leak was that severe surely it would be immediately apparent ?

Unfortunately I can only go by what the van centre told me - they said it was a tiny leak in the water pump and only obvious under pressure test - I assume it may have been leaking for a while, but given I had owned it for a whole 24 hours before the coolant light came on - I honestly can't say.. fortunately that issue is now sorted, but I now have a problem with a DLR build holder that I suspect has melted - beginning to think the seller knew more than he let on...

Glad to hear it’s sorted now

DRL bulb holder: