Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving with low coolant?

Trollhunter

Trollhunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, my coolant level has suddenly dropped dramatically below the minimum and the dash light is on. I am guessing there must be a leak somewhere. Just wondering if it should be ok to drive it for 5-10mins to get it to the service centre for a check? I don't think the drive is even far enough for the engine to warm up to half way. There is still coolant in the reservoir so shouldn't that mean the rest of the system still has coolant in it?
Cheers

Check your engine oil level. As you have the 5 cylinder, you might have an internal leak from coolant in the engine.
If the oil level is way above maximum, it is worth checking if the oil cooler isn't leaking!
Don't want to scare you.

Check your engine oil level. As you have the 5 cylinder, you might have an internal leak from coolant in the engine.
If the oil level is way above maximum, it is worth checking if the oil cooler isn't leaking!
Don't want to scare you.
Thanks, engine oil is in the center between max/min on the dipstick and oil color looks totally normal, so hopefully not leaking coolant into the oil!

Just put some watta in?

Back