Cost / experiences of body work repair on T4 Westy

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I've the chance to buy a nice genuine 1998 Longnose Westy pop top as a bit of a project. Body condition is very poor despite the nice history. Miles are high. MOT solid.

I reckon it needs 4 new arches cutting up (the top and bottom bit on the front leading to the cill), the rear screen popping out to treat some bubbling, quite a bit of repair to the cills (not sure if cutting out or general prep). The painted bumpers are full of scuffs and one area that has been quite compressed and fractured the paint into lines. Windscreen surround appears ok, inc on top of the rubber wind deflector.

There is a list of other jobs but I have a bit of a handle about what they might cost. It's the bodywork that's unknown. If I'm to go for it I want to do it right and for the long term, and would love to hear your thoughts experiences of this type of work. I've seen that the replacement arches etc are quite good value (£50 a pop ish) but I've read worries that they are poor quality and may not endure.

With all the paint work in different areas it must be looking at a full paint after the metal work.

It's a 2.5tdi 102hp so must be worth doing. Metallic elegance green.

It would benefit from a new canvas so any experiences / estimates there would be good.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Just for ref here’s a few pics of a sil repair I had done. Absolutely top job.

Can’t recall how much. £250 springs to mind.
I guess for the work you’re looking at I’d guess £3-4K all in with paint?

Canvas is around 350 Euro. Easy self fit.
735FAD0E-4FF8-430E-8E79-11ED60112113.jpeg 91273271-8B0F-4833-AA0D-80649191D213.jpeg 4486161E-3F32-4957-A40F-FD4B743E91E2.jpeg

Thanks @sidepod , just the type of info I was looking for. Your estimate is about where I was thinking, which is reassuring. I may be tapping you up for your bodywork man if I buy it!

Oh I might be in the market for some genuine alloys too....or even 16" steels and trims from a 151hp if anyone spots any.

Gen Westy steels and trims I can do. Alloys, keeping I’m afraid.

My man is near Bicester. A T4 god with a good paint guy.

Exciting project. I knew you’d be back :pinkbanana

Mines just having a spruce up (bodywork is in excellent condition, but the paintwork was shabby after a poorly done touch up previously), so can only give you a rough idea of painting costs alone (and bear in mind these are Belgium prices which i find can vary a lot from what you might find over in blighty), but I'm looking around 2k (euros) for basically a full respray (not including the roof, which polishes up fine). I'd had quotes varying from that to almost double that... I suspect Sidepod's estimate would be about right then given the metalwork you need done too...
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing lots of projct pics (you know that's what we're all wanting to see!)
:D

Can you reserve me the steelies for a few days @sidepod (in case anyone else reading this jumps in)? I'm seeing it in the flesh on Monday but have seen close up videos of the bodywork woes.

They’re going nowhere. Been sat in the barn since the earth cooled!

Can you reserve me the steelies for a few days @sidepod (in case anyone else reading this jumps in)? I'm seeing it in the flesh on Monday but have seen close up videos of the bodywork woes.
Thing with 4’s, it’s rarly fatal, just cosmetic. Could be a bargain.

Another new name :D 2into1andbackagain?

#grasswasntgreener

Come to Daddy...
2018-05-07 20.08.43.jpg
Irony of the T6 numberplate!! 102hp, recorded as a 1998 but has the later sink / dash etc so I think it's a 1999, but lost in translation when it came to the UK. Its a Deepcar one c2001 with 1 UK owner.

Lovely. Shame about the scruffy old T6 parked next to it ;)

Did you press the go button then?

Any chance you could post/pm the details of the guy in Bicester? It's not too far for me and I need some bodywork doing on my Westy as well.

Lovely. Shame about the scruffy old T6 parked next to it ;)

Did you press the go button then?

I did. Couldn't resist! Amazing condition inside despite it being used properly for 20 years. Mechanics seem solid. Just had exhaust and MOT. We need to talk wheels and mechanics / body shop.

I did. Couldn't resist! Amazing condition inside despite it being used properly for 20 years. Mechanics seem solid. Just had exhaust and MOT. We need to talk wheels and mechanics / body shop.
Excellent. Good work.
Wheels and trims here when you want them. Payment in beer. Location Oxfordshire.

What’s the plan then? Rental business?

What’s the plan then?
Err, there isn't one yet!
Probably to just try and enjoy the restoration process (zen not shouty when hitting problems) THEN see how the mood takes me.
Just couldn't pass up the chance of a 2 owner (? A year in Germany then one UK owner all this time) Westy. Owning something that you can fix with spanners also appeals ;)

Doesn't look bad at all from here :thumb
The close ups would make you cringe unfortunately ;) All the usual places though so although I don't know where to start, it looks like we've found a man who does.

@sidepod, it doesn't look like I can pm you so can you drop me an email or txt to peter@xxxxxxx or 07734 xxxxxx (I'll edit these out once we've started a plan for your beer). Cheers

Last edited:
I've the chance to buy a nice genuine 1998 Longnose Westy pop top as a bit of a project. Body condition is very poor despite the nice history. Miles are high. MOT solid.

I reckon it needs 4 new arches cutting up (the top and bottom bit on the front leading to the cill), the rear screen popping out to treat some bubbling, quite a bit of repair to the cills (not sure if cutting out or general prep). The painted bumpers are full of scuffs and one area that has been quite compressed and fractured the paint into lines. Windscreen surround appears ok, inc on top of the rubber wind deflector.

There is a list of other jobs but I have a bit of a handle about what they might cost. It's the bodywork that's unknown. If I'm to go for it I want to do it right and for the long term, and would love to hear your thoughts experiences of this type of work. I've seen that the replacement arches etc are quite good value (£50 a pop ish) but I've read worries that they are poor quality and may not endure.

With all the paint work in different areas it must be looking at a full paint after the metal work.

It's a 2.5tdi 102hp so must be worth doing. Metallic elegance green.

It would benefit from a new canvas so any experiences / estimates there would be good.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Hi, I have just joined the forum and, rather worryingly, have seen this van, which just yesterday I agreed to buy!

If you bought it just a few weeks ago to restore, then why is it for sale again so soon? I know the bodywork is poor but, as you say, internally it is superb.

Can you shed any light please? Hope I haven’t dropped a major clanger!!

Many thanks.

Worry not. It’s all good. 2into1 will explain when he gets here.

Back