Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

For our trip to the south of France this Easter fuel and tolls will be in excess of a £1000 with fuel calculated at 2 euro a litre!
On top of that euro tunnel have no toll tags available due to high demand and when applying direct to Ulys my iban number was rejected because it was outside the euro zone.
Still going, will make the best of it.

Minus 10C coming tonight and for the next few days to that 40km long convoy stuck without fuel between Chernobyl and Kyiv. It can’t be much fun sleeping in a tank when it’s that cold… Even daytime temperatures are sub zero.
Brutal. Although a lot depends of course on your personal kit.

I was just re-reading an account of the 1939-40 Russo-Finnish 'Winter War' in which the ill-equipped Russians suffered as much from the cold as they did at the hands of the Finnish army. In March 1940 my father was on a ship across the North Sea, expecting to be fighting the Russians in Finland but instead ending up in Norway where the Germans had just invaded. Anyway, he said they'd been issued "winter fighting gear". When I asked him what that was he replied "thick socks". His unit was badly mauled by the German artillery and ski troops and he only managed to get out after a withdrawal through the snow on foot of about 80 miles in 36 hours.

Whatever we think of the morals of the politicians or even the generals, let's never forget the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) on both sides.

For our trip to the south of France this Easter fuel and tolls will be in excess of a £1000 with fuel calculated at 2 euro a litre!
On top of that euro tunnel have no toll tags available due to high demand and when applying direct to Ulys my iban number was rejected because it was outside the euro zone.
Still going, will make the best of it.
I got a tag through these and it was fairly painless. I’ve not used it yet though so i can’t say if it’s any good.

Brutal. Although a lot depends of course on your personal kit.

I was just re-reading an account of the 1939-40 Russo-Finnish 'Winter War' in which the ill-equipped Russians suffered as much from the cold as they did at the hands of the Finnish army. In March 1940 my father was on a ship across the North Sea, expecting to be fighting the Russians in Finland but instead ending up in Norway where the Germans had just invaded. Anyway, he said they'd been issued "winter fighting gear". When I asked him what that was he replied "thick socks". His unit was badly mauled by the German artillery and ski troops and he only managed to get out after a withdrawal through the snow on foot of about 80 miles in 36 hours.

Whatever we think of the morals of the politicians or even the generals, let's never forget the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) on both sides.

Napoleon too was defeated by a Russian winter.

I got a tag through these and it was fairly painless. I’ve not used it yet though so i can’t say if it’s any good.

I did have one of these for a planned pre covid trip. Tried to use it in France last week and it appears they cancelled my account t but didn’t bother telling me…

I did have one of these for a planned pre covid trip. Tried to use it in France last week and it appears they cancelled my account t but didn’t bother telling me…
Thanks for the heads up.
Will now check that my account is still active!

Mine’s still active. Are you sure that your tag’s battery hadn’t died?
I did think that but I phoned them up and they told me the account had been closed! They couldn’t reactivate it either.

I did think that but I phoned them up and they told me the account had been closed! They couldn’t reactivate it either.
Strange. Mine shows active online but perhaps I may find that mine’s closed when I hit the first Peage!!

I have had one for at least five years, works a treat. I use it on my other cars with no problem and if it dies you can ask for a replacement which I got on the post in days. Very good service, I have used it in Portugal Spain and France.
I have noticed, when battery was low some barriers did not open so I wrote them an email and as I said they just send me a new one.

Noticed on their website that they are not accepting new subscriptions for tags for France.

5FAEE18B-D3F4-4425-9069-5A40DB4E94CC.png

Did you activate it? Sorry if that sounds a bit condescending, but I forgot when my new ones arrived.

ignore. Just read thread :(

I've refused to listen to Shostakovich or Tchaikovsky for the duration. They Don't Like It Up Em Mr Mainwaring!
Please listen to Tchaikovsky. He didn't fit in to the barbaric social norms of 19th century Russia, which Putin has resuscitated from the dust bin of history, and as a result was "suicided." Listening to Tchaikovsky, Russia's most world renowned gay artist, is an act of protest against Putin.

I've refused to listen to Shostakovich or Tchaikovsky for the duration. They Don't Like It Up Em Mr Mainwaring!
Shostakovich's music was banned by the Bolsheviks as decadent. He broke under the pressure and, during the siege of Moscow, wrote the 7th Symphony to please the regime. It is such a shameful abortion of art and creativity that Bela Bartok dedicated an entire section of his masterpiece "Concerto for Orchestra" to ridiculing it publicly.

You don't truly know who Shostakovich is, a great artist who was crushed by his homeland, until you know his string quartets.

Edit: In the mid '80s I played in a ballet co-production of the National Ballet of Mexico and the Bolshoi Ballet in Mexico City. The Soviet musicians, like musicians everywhere, were wonderful, cultured and sophisticated. We became great friends. When we asked them what they needed, they said 20th century music scores. These incredibly talented artists were not allowed to play anything composed in the 20th century unless it was official music approved by the regime. These are the dark glory days that Putin is trying to drag his countrymen back into.

Last edited:
In mind Sweden today … 28sek a liter …. Or £2.18 a liter…. Some serious taxes they are raking in at the moment… almost enough to pay off all those corona stimulis packages to their mates.

I remember the outcry when petrol hit 50p a gallon. Diesel was cheaper than that then too.
When I started driving you could buy three gallons of petrol for ten shillings.*
In the 70's I was fined for exceeding the emergency 50 m.p.h. speed limit imposed during the fuel crisis.
Yesterday, I visited the one and only fuel station in our village and was pleasantly surprised to find that, far from taking advantage of their monopoly position, the price of their diesel was a (comparatively) reasonable £1.589. Run by the Co-op.

* Edit. And re-reading this I would say that the cost of Woodbines was more than a farthing for twenty.

So still cheaper in Spain we paid 1.64 euro per litre near Valencia a few days ago. A almost full tank used 74.5 litre, 140 miles in UK, ferry then 490 miles Spain. Tried to be fuel efficient but not that careful, 75 % of distance on motorways. Automatic.

When I started driving you could buy three gallons of petrol for ten shillings.*
In the 70's I was fined for exceeding the emergency 50 m.p.h. speed limit imposed during the fuel crisis.
Yesterday, I visited the one and only fuel station in our village and was pleasantly surprised to find that, far from taking advantage of their monopoly position, the price of their diesel was a (comparatively) reasonable £1.589. Run by the Co-op.

* Edit. And re-reading this I would say that the cost of Woodbines was more than a farthing for twenty.
You also got free drinking glasses or even a tiger tail for your fuel cap.

Back