Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

Did the O/P really fill their Cali with premium...:D:D:D

I have just paid £1.76 per litre for Shell V Power ouch , anyone know how much fuel is in France at the moment as we are travelling south next month and thinking the cost of fuel and tolls combined this could be a very expensive trip
Paying that for regular diesel in our town

Seems to vary a lot today, £1.649 at home for Esso yet £1.569 30miles north same fuel. Inverness Morrisons the cheapest seen at £1.527. Out local esso is consistently 3p plus more than the Esso near work.

I have just paid £1.76 per litre for Shell V Power ouch , anyone know how much fuel is in France at the moment as we are travelling south next month and thinking the cost of fuel and tolls combined this could be a very expensive trip
On a recent 2500km trip it was clear that doing the autoroute limit of 130km/h gives noticeably worse consumption than 110km/h on my standard Coast. Intermarche were competitive for gazole/diesel.

I know its not the same experience but it is now much cheaper to fly to the med than it is to go in the actual Cali, we have just booked a five star hotel in the Costa Blanca with private transfers for just over £1,200 for the two of us , if I had driven there it would of cost me MORE in tolls, ferries and fuel ( not to mention depreciation) plus I would still have campsite costs on top of that
Annik,

£1200 ?? Really? I do it twice a year in the Cali and reckon on around Max £380 each way. OK I sleep in Cali.. Slightly rough it.. But Cali there as transport at other end also.. And that is to costa Blanca.. AND its part of the holiday.... AND if the dog could drive I would further reduce time and costs... Cali is the way...

Annik,

£1200 ?? Really? I do it twice a year in the Cali and reckon on around Max £380 each way. OK I sleep in Cali.. Slightly rough it.. But Cali there as transport at other end also.. And that is to costa Blanca.. AND its part of the holiday.... AND if the dog could drive I would further reduce time and costs... Cali is the way...

I use Brittany Ferries as I live in the West so that does push it up slightly, however the cost is now so close to flying it makes camping a not very attractive option especially if on a budget. Just to add our hotel is half board so no food to buy ( camping holidays were always seen as value for money) I get that it’s a totally different experience and I love the Cali , I was literally just saying how the costs compare now compared to say five years ago. Also campsite prices in both Spain and France I would say have doubled in the past five years too

Last edited:
If Diesel prices are going up, Aviation Fuel will soon follow.
During the recovery phase from the pandemic overseas package holidays are priced low to attract customers etc: and get their confidence back. Once numbers have improved and the pandemic fear overcome then prices will start rising. Likewise with Campsite prices, supply and demand will affect these greatly over the coming years.

I use Brittany Ferries as I live in the West so that does push it up slightly, however the cost is now so close to flying it makes camping a not very attractive option especially if on a budget. Just to add our hotel is half board so no food to buy ( camping holidays were always seen as value for money) I get that it’s a totally different experience and I love the Cali , I was literally just saying how the costs compare now compared to say five years ago. Also campsite prices in both Spain and France I would say have doubled in the past five years too
Lets face it, owning and using a VW California is not really about saving money. Just the difference in price between a Cali and a regular car alone pays for a lot of holidays. I quickly came to this realization as I'm stuck between buying a Cali or buying an estate car for almost 1/3 of the cost (both new), and if I look at purely money, the California makes no sense whatsoever.

I thought diesel was subsidised in France?

Filled up yesterday. First time ever I have hit the £99 max card pre payment limit at the pump!

I have just been given 600 ‘B’ Class P&O shares so can get a 50% reduction on the Dover to Calais route. That should go some way to compensate for higher fuel prices.

I also have a small number of pre paid tunnel tickets to be used before 30 June this year. I think they cost £25 each.

So, planning a drive to southern Spain for Easter and the Loire region of France for summer half term. I think that with an 80 litre tank it is just about possible to get from Folkestone to the Spanish border without refuelling by setting the cruise control to 100kph.

I just contacted my right foot and after ample deliberation we agreed about a smaller slope of the above mentioned bodypart... Will keep to 100 km/u for the time being!

I just contacted my right foot and after ample deliberation we agreed about a smaller slope of the above mentioned bodypart... Will keep to 100 km/u for the time being!

That’s the ticket.

If we all keep to 100kph on the motorway and turn down our thermostats by 1 degree- Putin is stuffed.

That hurt…!!!

6A4CF8CC-F4B9-404B-B5E6-4E89CB2A74A6.jpeg

That’s the ticket.

If we all keep to 100kph on the motorway and turn down our thermostats by 1 degree- Putin is stuffed.
I've refused to listen to Shostakovich or Tchaikovsky for the duration. They Don't Like It Up Em Mr Mainwaring!
I’m not eating caviar for breakfast anymore!

Back