Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown to delivery

S

Splitrich

VIP Member
I've been following this forum for months. Thank you to everyone for their hints and tips.

Sold our splitscreen today

Sorry to see it go, but then received a surprise. Our dealer who we ordered our new California SE through in October, sent an email which had the news that our provisional build date of mid March had move to the 3rd week of January.

Cannot wait, loads of holidays and weekends planned.

Look forward to meeting up with fellow owners on our travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418322520.052025.jpg

Hi, nice split screen and good news about the cali. Better see if my date has moved, ordered end of Oct, hoping to pick up 1st March :upsidedown

A lovely split, bet you found that hard.
The Cali will more than compensate though, especially now that it is due early. :thumb

Alan

Hi
Lovely looking split you had there Spitritch, must have broke your heart to see it go
Had you had it long , did you restore it ?
Still, you've got the state of the arts to look forward to now :D

What colour and spec did you order ?

Alan

Nice splitscreen!

When in October did you order? I ordered at the very end of October and was told estimated delivery to be beginning of March. I am wondering now whether mine will also be delivered early?

I presume everybody waiting will hang on till 1st March for the '15 reg?

My dealer says that they have to register the van within 28 days of delivery to the dealer in order to benefit from the pre-November price protection. So I may have to decide either to get the Cali with 64 plate or with a 15 plate and a slightly higher price. :sad

Thanks. It was hard letting it go, but have a '63 15 splitscreen in the garage to restore and needed to let one toy go to make way for the new one [WINKING FACE]

I ordered it the first weekend in October, although have no idea when the dealer out the order through.

I've order

180 DSG SE in Blackberry
18" Toluca alloys
Crete anthracite cloth
Bluetooth premium
Safety pack
Xenon headlights
Multi function steering wheel
Kenwood DAB multi media system
Removable towbar
Mudflaps
Black side awning
Charcoal canister
Comfort mattress
Privacy glass
Chrome side mirror covers
Stainless steel side rails
Rear roof spoiler
Front window wind deflectors

Still thinking about 30mm lowering but dealer says I'll regret it

Really hoping now it will be ready for its first weekend away at the Volksworld show at the end of March [WHITE SMILING FACE]️

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oh, i've not been informed about that scenario. So if it gets delivered at the beginning of Feb should still be ok for a 15 plate.

My dealer said the same, therefore anything that arrives in February should be ok for March registration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be sold in the Spring

camper2.jpg

Being replaced by a 2014 SE which arrives next week

Had her since 1995.. Happy and sad times!

Hi Splitrich, and welcome to the forum! :hello

I ordered my Cali on September 22nd and was given a build week of 3, estimated arrival in the UK was early February ready for registration on the 1st of March. However, she was actually built in November and arrived at the dealership last Friday! It seems that everything is running significantly ahead of schedule so I wonder if some others will have an early delivery too? I actually wish that I had waited until the end of October before ordering now.

Still, exciting times ahead everyone!

Maud :D

I wouldn't be surprised if that splitty was worth more than a new Cali?!

Nice sounding spec; you'll love it!

No news on mine and its also a week 3 build. I will have to wait for March 2015 because I have a I5 number plate to go on the vehicle.

Hi Splitrich. You really won't regret the 30mil lowering. IMHO it transforms the handling and I think if you read some of the post about lowering you'll see the same opinion from many members of the forum.

These quick deliveries do really make you wonder what's going on. At the end of the summer people were complaining about the very long lead times being quoted and now things seem to have speeded up considerably. I know there's a some kind of seasonal variation but the forum seems to have gone from slightly aggrieved and pessimistic about lead times to euphoric in a couple of months. Maybe as a newbie I've just not been hanging around here long enough to have seen this effect or maybe the factory has somehow got it's act in gear?

I wonder if said dealer who said you will regret lowering the bus actually drive them and i dont mean in and out of the workshop if you have it lowered you certanly wont regret it :thumb

Whilst looking forward to getting it sooner, given all the build/quality issues this forum I am surprised at the sudden additional production. Sudden increase in capacity is either due to new people joining or a lack of orders. The later I doubt given comments on here of all the new orders, therefore if it's due to more people being involved, how is quality being improved or at least staying the same. After all this is a largely hand built conversion

Guess I will find out on our travels

Thank you for the tip on lowering. I've been following the thread so may get them fitted before delivery at the dealers - can always turn it back to standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd consider adjustable suspension to lower it on road but raise it off road but no way I'd just lower mine - clearance is already limited when taking it off road or up bumpy tracks (especially at the rear).

I drive ours at a brisk pace but not enough to trouble the suspension - the relatively soft ride is ideally suited to a camper.

IMO.

chrisw said:
My dealer says that they have to register the van within 28 days of delivery to the dealer in order to benefit from the pre-November price protection. So I may have to decide either to get the Cali with 64 plate or with a 15 plate and a slightly higher price. :sad

This sounds like bull poo to me. Has he got a target to achieve. AFAIK once you have ordered it the price is fixed.
Last year we ordered ours early November for March delivery, built week 3 2014 and no problems with March 1st delivery to us. Price was fixed at order point, despite an increase in the interim.
Delivery/build situation sounds very much like last year.

My dealer said exactly the same to me (possibly the same dealer!). I agree that it sounds like authentic frontier gibberish...but then as it looks like mine should be here in Jan, I'm not waiting until March to register it (and I certainly wouldn't pay extra just to have a 15 plate...it would make so little difference at sale time, if I was to ever sell!)

I suspect the improved delivery times are a season thing - I experienced the same thing at the end of 2011. Ordered in early Oct, told delivery early March, and therefore purchased a '12 plate in advance, only to be advised on 7 Jan the van was at the dealers. Due to the '12 plate I had bought, I them had to wait until March to take delivery. But as a fair-weather camper, it didn't really bother me.

Steve

... and the price I paid was the price I signed up to in October. The van sat at the dealers for almost 2 months before I took delivery. That was 3 years ago so things might have changed, but I can't believe that's the case.

Ambler said:
chrisw said:

This sounds like bull poo to me. Has he got a target to achieve. AFAIK once you have ordered it the price is fixed.
Last year we ordered ours early November for March delivery, built week 3 2014 and no problems with March 1st delivery to us. Price was fixed at order point, despite an increase in the interim.
Delivery/build situation sounds very much like last year.

At the point of commitment to purchase you sign a document that commits you, as well as the dealer, which is a contact. That contact includes the spec and the price to be paid for the vehicle you have ordered. The dealer then pays VW UK for the order at that date. I don't think the dealer can't up the price because you delay taking delivery of the van once it has been delivered to the dealer's premises. That smacks of profiteering and the courts would have field day with that, as would the press!
Alan

My Dealer ordered my California end of May 2014 BUT knew I wanted delivery 1st December.
I left the ordering date to the Dealership, my only condition was that I would not be picking up until the agreed date. Price was fixed from the date of ordering NOT the date of Delivery.

I ordered in Oct 13 and picked up the van in Feb 14, price was fixed when the order was placed.