Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cover removal to check roof front drain holes and for corrosion.

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
If you want to remove the black plastic covers that go over the front drain holes where the roof lifts to check for blockage or corrosion here are some images that may help.

Use a blade or thin screwdriver under the rear of the cover. You are trying to lift the round part of the molding out of the recess around the screw head so lever it vertically the front end slides around the rubber block and again lifts off vertically.

20160124_110959_zpsy0xe1hft.jpg

20160124_111022_zps8n8gafyy.jpg

The drain hole is at the bottom of the rubber block. Also showing corrosion bubbles.

20160124_111303_zpsoayatr8u.jpg

If you pour water down the drain holes, on mine it goes onto the top of the front inner wheel arch cover on which ever side and then runs out at the front.

20160124_111537_zpsuuevrysv.jpg

The frontones drain thru a rubber tube down
The rearones just end up between the boothdoor and the body , water just poors down from the back , just open the boothdoor and check if light comes thru with the pop-top up .....

Did you reed it ?
To me not vague ,
Hold like this...
Squeeze hand ...
Pull towarts you....
Or am i seeing diffrent words?

Anyway , maybe now it has it's own tread and title maybe some newbees discover this , finding lots of dirt under that cap.
Seems not many of the newcomers reed that sticky post by me , they want direct answers and no search.

I had water gathering in both channels. VW said they could find nothing wrong with it. Today I followed HC's and Snowy's guidelines, removed covers easily and unblocked holes. Immediate success - no more pools! Many thanks guys for the advice.

Hi, thanks so much for this, I had the inside of the screen misting up while van parked on my drive. Just checked, two pools, cleared with pipe cleaner and hot water. Problem solved.

If you want to remove the black plastic covers that go over the front drain holes where the roof lifts to check for blockage or corrosion here are some images that may help.

Use a blade or thin screwdriver under the rear of the cover. You are trying to lift the round part of the molding out of the recess around the screw head so lever it vertically the front end slides around the rubber block and again lifts off vertically.

20160124_110959_zpsy0xe1hft.jpg

20160124_111022_zps8n8gafyy.jpg

The drain hole is at the bottom of the rubber block. Also showing corrosion bubbles.

20160124_111303_zpsoayatr8u.jpg

If you pour water down the drain holes, on mine it goes onto the top of the front inner wheel arch cover on which ever side and then runs out at the front.

20160124_111537_zpsuuevrysv.jpg
Thank you for this Snowy55 & HC. Just checked mine and both seem to be clear of silt.
I live on a hill and the van always ends up facing up the hill, which probably helps. Does water only get into here when the roof is up, or do you think it would find ways in during wet drives on motorways?
Everytime I look at bits of the Cali like this, I get more impressed, and scared, by the amount of subtle engineering in it that needs to be checked from time to time. Simon

Simon , i do not think any water gets under the roof panel while it is closed , only purhaps condensation and water there due to the open roof.
These dains are mainly for draining water running from the canvas while roof up.
As you say , there are many things to look afther , most don't take long and as for this it is easy done when on a site while roofs up having a glass wine ....:thumb

Hi, thanks so much for this, I had the inside of the screen misting up while van parked on my drive. Just checked, two pools, cleared with pipe cleaner and hot water. Problem solved.
hi Gregc

when you say 'pipe cleaner' could you specify the product?

many thanks!!

It's a short length of wire covered in cloth fibres that smokers used to put up the stem of their pipe to stop it blocking up. Like a bottle brush, but much smaller.
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/kids/kids-craft-supplies/pipe-cleaners

I would think a proper ironmongers or craft shop would probably have them. Just be careful it doesn't get stuck in there and make things worse.
Possibly a length of thin plastic tube like earth sleeving might be suitable. The pipe you are trying to clean is too narrow for the sleeving to turn back on itself and there is enough rigidity and length there to reach and go through blockages. Wickes & Tool Station sell it. but in long lengths.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2619804572...=1006567&device=c&campaignid=861364981&crdt=0 This one is just 5 metres.

Thank you - great ideas!!

Just cleared our drain holes and used the end of a plastic cable tie for anyone struggling to get hold of pipe cleaners.
On a particularly stormy night we have been woken by water gurgling as it drains away.

Seems I’m one of the few T4 owners active on here.
Same issue on T4’s only worse as there’s no pipe fitted & a 20mm hole, front wings fill up with leaves and crap leading to rotten front wings & inner wings, front wings are bolted on, not so simple as the wing wheel arch is Sika’d to the inner wing
Fortunately my wings are OK I’m going to install drain tubes, I can see there’s gonna be burnt paint soon as I need to fix this before next winter