Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cover seats now or later?

• Thread starter Paul G - 2022 Ocean
  • Start date
I know it’s probably a personal choice but what is the general consensus for covering your Cali Ocean seats? Do you find its best to do it as near to new as possible to protect the original seats, or wait until the original seats are worn out or stained and then recover them to look new and get your moneys worth from the original purchase cost?
I’m not really thinking of resale value at this point as we intend to keep this van for 10-15 years.
For the more experienced Cali owners, what is the lifespan of the original seats?
I’m torn on the idea. My Mrs wants them, but only in grey so a bit plain in my view (I like a bit of contrast), but I’m also thinking that we paid for the Lifeshine protection which included seat treatment so let’s get some life out of that expense first.
We have small daschunds that travel in the van often and currently use throws on back seat and cheap Aldi top covers for front seats.

Ps I know there’s loads of threads about seat covers that I could search but this is more about do it now or later.
we covered as soon as we got

I know it’s probably a personal choice but what is the general consensus for covering your Cali Ocean seats? Do you find its best to do it as near to new as possible to protect the original seats, or wait until the original seats are worn out or stained and then recover them to look new and get your moneys worth from the original purchase cost?
I’m not really thinking of resale value at this point as we intend to keep this van for 10-15 years.
For the more experienced Cali owners, what is the lifespan of the original seats?
I’m torn on the idea. My Mrs wants them, but only in grey so a bit plain in my view (I like a bit of contrast), but I’m also thinking that we paid for the Lifeshine protection which included seat treatment so let’s get some life out of that expense first.
We have small daschunds that travel in the van often and currently use throws on back seat and cheap Aldi top covers for front seats.

Ps I know there’s loads of threads about seat covers that I could search but this is more about do it now or later.
All covers look plasticky and fake to me. Why spend all that money on luxury to cover it in a cheap nylon sheet. Yuk. Let the van age. Clean it now and then and loose £500 on sale in 10 years. Less than the horrid covers cost. The seats clean up well with special cleaner spray anyway So why bother

Went with the Art Velour, 12 months in and wearing fine, not treated, although may look into this. However no kids or dogs, which may influence decision to cover.

If and when original covers wear out would then look to replace. As others have pointed out why cover for others to benefit later. However the great thing about van life is each to their own, decide what works best for you and your situation.

We had the same dilemma when new, the cost of the decent covers put me off and I really wanted leather seats anyway, so decided to give it a couple of years and then get them recovered in leather.

They do water stain easily, and we now have a throw cover on the back seat to protect it from the worst, but still planning on getting them recovered in a couple of years once the original financial sting has worn off!

Nothing on ours - to be fair they are a bit of a state but one visit by the car valet guy and they will look showroom new.

Back