Cover seats now or later?

• Thread starter Paul G - 2022 Ocean
  • Start date
Paul G - 2022 Ocean

Paul G - 2022 Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I know it’s probably a personal choice but what is the general consensus for covering your Cali Ocean seats? Do you find its best to do it as near to new as possible to protect the original seats, or wait until the original seats are worn out or stained and then recover them to look new and get your moneys worth from the original purchase cost?
I’m not really thinking of resale value at this point as we intend to keep this van for 10-15 years.
For the more experienced Cali owners, what is the lifespan of the original seats?
I’m torn on the idea. My Mrs wants them, but only in grey so a bit plain in my view (I like a bit of contrast), but I’m also thinking that we paid for the Lifeshine protection which included seat treatment so let’s get some life out of that expense first.
We have small daschunds that travel in the van often and currently use throws on back seat and cheap Aldi top covers for front seats.

Ps I know there’s loads of threads about seat covers that I could search but this is more about do it now or later.

I know it’s probably a personal choice but what is the general consensus for covering your Cali Ocean seats? Do you find its best to do it as near to new as possible to protect the original seats, or wait until the original seats are worn out or stained and then recover them to look new and get your moneys worth from the original purchase cost?
I’m not really thinking of resale value at this point as we intend to keep this van for 10-15 years.
For the more experienced Cali owners, what is the lifespan of the original seats?
I’m torn on the idea. My Mrs wants them, but only in grey so a bit plain in my view (I like a bit of contrast), but I’m also thinking that we paid for the Lifeshine protection which included seat treatment so let’s get some life out of that expense first.
We have small daschunds that travel in the van often and currently use throws on back seat and cheap Aldi top covers for front seats.

Ps I know there’s loads of threads about seat covers that I could search but this is more about do it now or later.

Like you said it is a personal choice.
If you plan to sell it afther a short period. I would put them on as new as possible. Other whise I would put them on when the seats are worn and no longer look ok.

It's a camper. You don't want to have to worry constantly about getting the seats stained or dirty when you're using it as it was intended. Seat covers can be thrown in the wash whenever needed and can be replaced when damaged. My answer is to put them on immediately.

Treated the seats on my now 6.5 year old Cali with interior protector and no marks or stains.
No dogs or kids.

My thought was if the seats get worn/grubby I'd either get it retrimmed or fit covers to freshen it up when selling or if it needed it it doing prior to that.

If you cover them from new the next owner will thank you for putting up with naff seat covers so they can enjoy factory fresh seats when they rip them off.

Stain guard the seats from new and enjoy them.

Get the brandrup covers & you would be hard pressed to know if the covers are on or not, exactly the same colour, pattern & fabric.
If you want them though best to buy while the van is still fairly new as the patterns change & go out of stock.

The Palladium circuit pattern seats are surprisingly resilient to water stains. I managed to give both seats a good soaking when I lowered the poptop after the positive leak test. The seats were dry and stain free the next morning. I've got a can of 3M fabric protector which I will be definitely using on the back the driver seat (LHD). I have a couple of marks there which I assume is from cooking on the hob. During my most recent trip I was covering the seat with a towel when I cook.

seat2.jpgseats.jpg

Some people buy new sofas and leave the plastic wrap on for a long time. Some want to enjoy what they’ve paid for and live in it.

I’m in the latter camp.

It’s your money, you’ve bought the seats, why keep them in perfect condition for the next owners in 10 years.

Once you’ve trashed them it’s really not that expensive to get them recovered

We have 2 cockapoo's, some would say not trained very well. Every chair cushion bed etc is as much theirs as ours. So it was definitely seat covers for us. As said by somebody above, we have the covers that match the originals, so looks like we don't have them on. It's not too bad in the dry weather but wet muddy walks it gets bad. They might be a pain to remove, clean and reinstall. We tend to let them dry and brush/wipe them down.

I find the seats stain so easily (my young son was upset and his tears stained the back of the seat!) So I cover.

Covers all the way: it means I can get in if I am wet/muddy/sandy etc (which seems to be a lot of the time…!) and not worry about getting the seats wet and dirty too. The van is there to be used for outdoors life, slept in, eaten in, cooked in, with kids, dog etc and so covers are a must for me. We have the dark grey Inka covers on our Cali now, which I think are pretty good. We had the VW waterproof ones on our previous Cali and they were equally good, although a lighter grey.

As some have said: with the Brandrup covers it's impossible to see that there are covers on the seats. If you put them on correctly you won't notice them in use either. Put 'm on right away. You can wash 'm. You never know when you might actully wanna sell it even though you have plans to keep it for a long time. And getting stains from washable covers is a lot easie rthen getting stains from seats that don't come out.

Just confirming what everyone has said above really. I bought a new Cali Ocean quite recently and wanted to protect my investment as much as possible. As per my profile pic you can see i've a big Golden Retriever that likes to get muddy and wet. I bought the Brandrup covers for around 600 yoyos i think? I almost collapsed at the cost at first but they provide amazing cover, look completely natural, are easy to fit. I still cover these with blankets for Biggles for obvious reasons....but even if you don't have a dog i think it'll be worth it. One thing i haven't heard anyone mention is that muck/sand will creep down between the back seats into the draw, if you have one. Hence nice blankets offer further protection and a snug solution to your camper. Happy Travels! :)

We don't have seat covers. There's a blanket on the back seat. The front seats get dirty, but every now & then we clean them with Autoglym interior shampoo & they clean up a treat. No dogs or kids, but we are not particularly careful with the seats.

We bought Brandrupp covers when we got the van 11 years ago. They’ve had red wine spilled on them plus burnt toast, butter , all sorts. We wash the covers about every 6 months or more. The design is clever so that the covers look just like the original seats. You don’t know they are on there. And the seats under neath are perfect ready for the one day in the far, far distance future when we sell.
My advice is to get the covers before your first trip out

Having owned two VW California's over the past 5 years, both with grey cloth seats, for me, covers are essential. Yes, they do keep the original seats in top condition.... For the next owner some may say ! , but being light grey they do pick up dirt, marks and stains really easily and will look a mess even after a few camping trips. Water stains can be the worse too .... a personal choice as others say, but one we always choose. Inka-Corp do some nice covers for all VW Cali's which are waterproof too and keep of all marks and dirt. They cost from around £195 for the full set and are easy to fit.

Six weeks ago I swapped my T5 California with Nappa leather seats for a T6.1 Beach with Art velours microfleece. With three kids,, eight and under I am sorely missing the wipe clean leather. I like the look bit I seem to be constantly wiping down the Microfleece. Next week I will be fitting the covers for the rear bench prior to the school holidays. I don't think they will get through the holidays stain free. I am sure it will be worth it when the first big spillage happens. I bought a set of GTi check covers second hand on the forum and also the 5th seat seconds recently put on sale in the forum shop. I also have a set of VW overcovers waiting for me at the dealers, which were part of the happy camper deal in April. Those will go on as well when it is raining and visits to muddy fields.

We don't have seat covers. There's a blanket on the back seat. The front seats get dirty, but every now & then we clean them with Autoglym interior shampoo & they clean up a treat. No dogs or kids, but we are not particularly careful with the seats.
Likewise, we don’t have seat covers, just throws sometimes. The upholstery fabric itself is really tough and hard wearing. It’s true the seats water stain easily and inevitably there are marks from accidental spillages, but a good session with Autoglym brings them back almost to new. Just done that again for only the third time since new, this summer. Admittedly our van has never had to contend with dogs or children, but we’ve spent more than 900 nights in it over nearly ten years and 98,000 miles, and it still looks great. Only minor maintenance things over the years (two wheel sensors and a broken hinge on the sliding table this year) but for a 10 year old vehicle it has had remarkably few problems. So glad we bought it!

In short the answer to you question is Yes get the covers. And on that not I am off to shop to get mine.

Get a waterproof throw and go and enjoy your van. I’d probably worry about getting stains on my expensive seat covers as well.
Ha ha yes that’s probably what I’d worry about and end up with throws over the covers that are covering the seats! I know covers can be washed but from what I see in the reviews the better covers can take hours to fit so I can see it being a pain to remove and refit them to wash them.

If you cover them from new the next owner will thank you for putting up with naff seat covers so they can enjoy factory fresh seats when they rip them off.

Stain guard the seats from new and enjoy them.
That’s what we’ve done tbh. I’m not sure I want to lay out money on expensive covers for the next owner to benefit and enjoy the fresh factory seats. If the seats are a problem when we eventually come to sell it then I can always get some fresh covers then.

Back