Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Croatia

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Sooooo, yeah. Here we are in Croatia Istria to be precise.

Made our way here via Germany and Austria. Planned to do the Gross Glockner but the cloud base ruled that out.

Lovely site and great pitch by the sea.
Cheers.

FED7B186-916D-4913-81D4-D4CF48D0B773.jpeg

77521793-DF5C-416A-9507-53780CF014C3.jpeg

3764547E-DD2F-43A8-9849-9F54451F66F4.jpeg

Thanks for posting these. Croatia is on my 'to drive' list! Looking forward to more updates on your trip here. :)

So were here

1B5907F0-4C8F-4BE8-B17C-B0AFD5C4AAC4.png

Heading over to Cres island later this week. All very nice so far. This site is fab. Facilities are magnificent. !

We stayed at that campsite last year for a week. it's a lovely place isn't it? We've got a pitch booked there for next Thursday on. Not often we go back to a site, but that one was nice

Much nicer on the East than the West coast. Just watch out for the flipping sea urchins, brushed my foot against one last year, blimey did it hurt!

So were here

Ah we plan to head for Kovacine.

Blimey Chris, what are the chances. V windy here so the west side is pole.

We spend 4 weeks in Croatia last summer … we are most likely to go again for five in two weeks ;-)

So good to hear!
On Crest we stayed here:
https://camp-kovacine.com

And I would love to stay here:
http://www.kampslamni.com.hr
(was fully booked back then)

So we crossed to Cres. Lovely ferry trip and the drive up and over to Cres town is spectacular. Oh how our day came crashing down to earth when we arrived at Kovacine. A genuinely grotesquely huge zoo of a place.

Alarm set for early o’clock to GTF out of here!

So we crossed to Cres. Lovely ferry trip and the drive up and over to Cres town is spectacular. Oh how our day came crashing down to earth when we arrived at Kovacine. A genuinely grotesquely huge zoo of a place.

Sorry to hear! Hope your next place is better - way better!

We stayed at a similar campsite on the very southern tip of Mali Losinj last year. Quite a horrible monstrous place and made me vow to never stay in a place with more than a few hundred pitches again. The facilities were absolutely fine, but with so many people there were queues for everything, including the loos. it really wasn't much fun. Quite a contrast to the laid back vibe of Camping Marina.

As you say though, the islands are truly lovely. Watch out for the queues to get back on the ferry though. We set of really early, but still ended up waiting for two hours in the baking sun.

I'm looking forward to getting back down there next week.

Nice to know - we are most likely to head back to Croatia and area for 5 weeks in 14 days ;-)

SITREP

Caught the early ferry back to the main land. Heading for Medulin peninsula and a few “small” campsites.

Croatia is lovely but it doesn’t seem to cater for anything other than families.

On that note- don’t German/Italian kids go to school? WTF? That’s what we strive to avoid in June!!

Parts of germany started the summer holidays last week.
Not many kids in cornwall right now, weather is good and
the prices aren´t peaking. :thumb

Hi Sidepod,
Sorry that Kovacine was so grim for you. It is indeed a big site, but when we stayed in early April we virtually had the beach front pitch to ourselves, and the site was incredibly quiet- sorry! We’re starting to find the same in Norway now - glorious sites but heaving with people and lots of children already. I think school holidays must have started for some countries already. Hope you find somewhere better to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parts of germany started the summer holidays last week.
German states stagger their summer holidays. This is to keep the Autobahns less congested, but means that you will find German families on summer holiday over an 11 week period.

For example:
Saarland's schools' holidays are between 22 June 2018 and 6 August 2018.
Bavaria's schools' holidays are between 27 July 2018 and 10 September 2018.

Thus the dates to avoid at all costs are 28 July to 5 August, nine days of autobahn hell when no German children are at school.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

So we checked out a few campsites around the Medulin peninsular. Same story. Big nasty places with ferocious pricing. We got an estimate from one but to be honest I stopped paying attention when it went North of Euro 50.

A quick look at a couple of small sites proved less than fruitful. “Like the set from Deliverance” was probably the most accurate description.

After a short debate based around stay here or go home and spend our second week in Cornwall, we opted to drive back to SV Marina. Deffo the best site by a long way in this part of Croatia.

Sadly we’ve written the place off. The type of site we like simply doesn’t exist here.

Hey ho.

Cheers.

82380C51-07A8-4B7F-BC10-1FFB6203D849.jpeg

We were in Croatia for two weeks last May, travelling from Dubrovnik North to Slovenia via the Islands. At that time of year most of the campsites we stayed on were virtually empty, which meant that there was no need to book, a great choice of pitches (many with a sea view) and no pressure on what were for the most part excellent facilities.
I intended to post details and photos when I got home but never got round to it - something I will try to rectify soon!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk