Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crossclimate+ and load rating on a Beach

B

Barton'sBeach

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,

I've searched the various threads in the forum and can't seem to find a specific answer to my query, so apologies in advance if it's been covered elsewhere.

Basically I'm getting 4 new all season tyres on the Beach I bought back in July. The ones on there aren't great and the front passenger side is wearing badly, so think the tracking needs sorting as well.

I had Crossclimates on my old A6 and loved them, felt very planted. I want to get the same tyres on the Cali, but am a little unsure when it comes to load rating. A lot of the posts on here seem to suggest you should be looking at 103 minimum, however the door sticker seems to suggest 102. Pic attached.

I have the original 16 inch alloys on there, so from the pic I think 215/65 with a 102 load rating would be fine? This is the exact match of the Crossclimate.

I called a tyre place near me yesterday who advised me to steer away from these tyres due to wear, and instead go for the Crossclimate Agilis, which are the more van focused, harder wearing, higher load rating (106 I think) tyre (and my guess is probably also a harsher ride). The problem is going for the Agilis would push the price up by about £100, but main concern is noise. The db value for the Crossclimates is 69, but 73 for the Agilis, and I'd like a quieter tyre.

Anyone got any experience with either before I flip a coin?

Cheers

tyre rating.jpg

I went for a set of the Crossclimate+ (215/65/R16 102) on my Beach about 4 months ago. Replaced the OEM Hankooks of the same size but higher weight rating. As you say the door sticker matches the Crossclimates for load rating.
So far I have been very impressed with the Michelins, ride seems less 'crashy' and more comfortable. Low noise levels and feels secure. Cant report on wear yet as only done ~ 1000 miles.
The impression I got while researching is that the Agilis had deeper tread depth so would probably last longer before being worn down. Maybe why the quoted noise levels are higher? Also guessing that higher load rating = stiffer side walls = less compliant ride.

I wouldn’t worry about a couple of decibel extra in a California..:
You won’t notice it with wind noise coming off the screen, roofbars, awning or general Campervan squeaks and rattles that will drown out the additional extra db’s...

There is an SUV version available for the 17" wheel option. I can't see the difference between those and the + and I've had them side by side.
The Agilis is a completely different beast as you suspect. I'd avoid them as the ride is harsh enough and more road noise is never good.

Thanks all. @owen_h glad to hear someone else has them on no issues. Main concern really was them being close (or on) the load rating.

Also, any idea what 102/101T actually means (the 101T bit)?

Thanks all. @owen_h glad to hear someone else has them on no issues. Main concern really was them being close (or on) the load rating.

Also, any idea what 102/101T actually means (the 101T bit)?

Believe the 101T is when the tyres can be fitted as part of a twin tyre setup. (On each side, 4 tyres per axel).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 102 on your door pillar relates to ‘C’ rated tyres. Crossclimates are not ‘C’ rated to my knowledge. They need to be 103 or higher. I went round the houses on this with my Ocean. Went for Cooper Discoverer All Season (106 rated) which were great. Chance it if you like but good luck with your insurer if you claim.

The Cali is not a commercial so you don’t have to have C rated but XL is is a good SUV equivalent

The Cali is not a commercial so you don’t have to have C rated but XL is is a good SUV equivalent
The OP has 16s, and two of the three sizes of 16s on the door sticker specify C rating. Wouldn't he get in trouble with insurance etc. fitting tires that are not up to the manufacturer's spec?

They are just option, no harm in fitting C but not compulsory if it narrows your choose of favourite tyre.

If they are not C rated, they need to be 103 as a minimum. 102 non C rated are under spec.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Thanks all. The C rating was something I overlooked. Looking around the other forum threads there doesn't seem to be a consensus on it. @Elmo3 How do you know it's a 103 rating if not C rated?

Seems a fair few people have fitted the Crossclimate+ as well. @own_h any concerns with the insurance?

^^ I know this because that is what the plate states. Ignore people who have fitted incorrectly rated tyres!

This is a bit of a minefield - I have a 2019 Beach with low rolling resistance Continentals 215/60 R 17 C 109/107T whereas the post sticker refers to 215/60 R 17 C 104/102T - which is a bid difference - they are quite hard so a bit on the bouncy side and no grip at all when pulling off and spin in the wet or dry.

I was thinking of getting some Michelin Agilis CrossClimate+ which are 215/60 R 17 C 104/102T but was baffled by all these codes - not going anywhere soon so not needed yet. However, on all three key ratings consumption/grip/noise the Michelin are worse.

Has anyone made this swop?
Also any idea what the M&S is on the sticker - my brain hasn't computed.

This is a bit of a minefield - I have a 2019 Beach with low rolling resistance Continentals 215/60 R 17 C 109/107T whereas the post sticker refers to 215/60 R 17 C 104/102T - which is a bid difference - they are quite hard so a bit on the bouncy side and no grip at all when pulling off and spin in the wet or dry.

I was thinking of getting some Michelin Agilis CrossClimate+ which are 215/60 R 17 C 104/102T but was baffled by all these codes - not going anywhere soon so not needed yet. However, on all three key ratings consumption/grip/noise the Michelin are worse.

Has anyone made this swop?
Also any idea what the M&S is on the sticker - my brain hasn't computed.

Tyre markings:

M&S marking:

@racali - I believe the M&S refers to mud and snow, so basically will pass as a winter tyre if you go off to the Alps in February for example.

Agree though that the load and letter ratings are confusing. @Elmo3 do you have a pic of the plate? Not sure what I'm looking for. Don't get why that would differ to the sticker?

@racali - I believe the M&S refers to mud and snow, so basically will pass as a winter tyre if you go off to the Alps in February for example.

Agree though that the load and letter ratings are confusing. @Elmo3 do you have a pic of the plate? Not sure what I'm looking for. Don't get why that would differ to the sticker?

M+S just means it will perform better than non M+S tyres, so can be a bit misleading as there is no standard test that an M&S tyre has to meet in order display the marking;

For Alps its better to have the Snowflake (3PMSF) marking as these are specifically tested for snow use below 0 degrees C, and so will have a softer rubber compound etc.

Table of regulations by country as below:

If you look at your Chassis Plate it will give the weight ratings of the Beach plus Front and Rear Axles.

Take the axle with the highest weight number, normally the front (1) half of this will give the minimum load rating of a tyre that can be fitted. Note minimum not recommended as no safety margin. It is illegal to go lower but anything higher is fully legal.

Load ratings with their kgs spec. are - 101=825 : 102=850 : 103+875. Go up in 25kgs increments with each number.

SUV tyre versions have stronger sidewalls and better tread clearance of grit and mud than standard tyres. Better for Cali's that go into fields or tracks.

I’m just reading the information stated in your photograph of the plate on your vehicle.

Hi All,

I've searched the various threads in the forum and can't seem to find a specific answer to my query, so apologies in advance if it's been covered elsewhere.

Basically I'm getting 4 new all season tyres on the Beach I bought back in July. The ones on there aren't great and the front passenger side is wearing badly, so think the tracking needs sorting as well.

I had Crossclimates on my old A6 and loved them, felt very planted. I want to get the same tyres on the Cali, but am a little unsure when it comes to load rating. A lot of the posts on here seem to suggest you should be looking at 103 minimum, however the door sticker seems to suggest 102. Pic attached.

I have the original 16 inch alloys on there, so from the pic I think 215/65 with a 102 load rating would be fine? This is the exact match of the Crossclimate.

I called a tyre place near me yesterday who advised me to steer away from these tyres due to wear, and instead go for the Crossclimate Agilis, which are the more van focused, harder wearing, higher load rating (106 I think) tyre (and my guess is probably also a harsher ride). The problem is going for the Agilis would push the price up by about £100, but main concern is noise. The db value for the Crossclimates is 69, but 73 for the Agilis, and I'd like a quieter tyre.

Anyone got any experience with either before I flip a coin?

Cheers

View attachment 68060
Cross climate all the way. Db scale is logarithmic so the difference between 69 and 73 will be noticable. Don't go for cross climate SUV version just the XL 103. The SUV has thicker side walls so less compliant/comfy. Once fitted be sure to measure tyre wear across the whole tyre regulary (along with tyre pressures) and rotate tyre positions accordingly once tread lowest tread depth is at 4.5 mm.
Had Hunter 4 wheel alignment carried out after my original tyres wear pattern was very uneven on the front inside edges. Now my 4 motion Ocean runs cross climate tyres XL 103. They wear down evenly with slight exception of left hand rear inside edge. I rotate at tyres at 4.5 mm measured depth at lowest point and will replace all 4 tyres at the same time and typically after19,000 miles covered

Last edited:
Db measurement is made externally to the vehicle and in a controlled manner.
This won’t reflect the same in real world driving situations.

Therefore, Db levels IMO aren’t worth worrying about as there are to many influencing factors once fitted to the car, to make a significant difference...

Last edited:

Therefore, Db levels IMO aren’t worth worrying about as there are to many influencing factors once fitted to the car, to make a significant difference...
Your are entitled to your opinions but not to the facts. Dd difference of 69 verses 73

You are of course entitled to your opinions but not to the facts. A 4 Db reduction is equivalent to more than 50% reduction to noise tyres generate outside the car. Stand at the side of a busy road to see just how much noise tyres make! I accept perception inside the car will not be a 50% reduction in overall noise levels. But a 4 Db difference will not be insignificant and worthy of consideration. Let's not forget environmental noise pollution too. Just saying.

Back