Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crossclimate+ and load rating on a Beach

The Agilis is a completely different beast as you suspect. I'd avoid them as the ride is harsh enough and more road noise is never good.

You are completely to wrong! Tha Agilis is brilliant. Correctly load rated, side wall protection and a longer wearing compound than car Cross Climates. They are not noisey or hard. I will not use anything else on our campervan. I want security, safety and 3 peaks rating .

I specified my T6 Beach with All Weather tyres. VW fitted Continental VancoFourSeason 2 215R16
Excellent, hard wearing tyre.
The original front tyres did nearly spent 28k miles on the front, then 5k on the rear before being changed with 3mm of tread left.
The original rears, did 28k on the rear and another 19.5k on the front. Tracking killed the FNS, and they were replaced at 47,500 miles.
Good grip, not noisy.

I have Cross Climate + fitted to my VW Caravelle. They don’t seem to wear out any quicker than any other tyres I have fitted. They seemed fine and I would buy them again. Never got to use them in the snow but they seem ok in the dry and wet. That said I have never approached the limit of the tyres.
Make sure you get the load rating for the vehicle. I have just brought a V Class and dealer fitted new tyres before I picked it up. I was checking the tyres and they were the wrong load rating. They were 98 instead of the 102. These have been changed by the dealer after a bit of discussion.

“....changed by the dealer after a bit of discussion.” Cracked me up!

You are completely to wrong! Tha Agilis is brilliant. Correctly load rated, side wall protection and a longer wearing compound than car Cross Climates. They are not noisey or hard. I will not use anything else on our campervan. I want security, safety and 3 peaks rating .
There are two of you on the forum that believe they are the best pick for all round use in the UK vs 30 or so singing the praises of cross climates. I guess neither of us has done side by side comparisons.
I've come from 'proper commercial tyres' to the cross climate SUV model, so can speak from that similar experience.

The other supporter of the Agilis is running the narrower model at high pressures the narrow tyre calls for, which kills the comfort over pot holes.

There are two of you on the forum that believe they are the best pick for all round use in the UK vs 30 or so singing the praises of cross climates. I guess neither of us has done side by side comparisons.
I've come from 'proper commercial tyres' to the cross climate SUV model, so can speak from that similar experience.

The other supporter of the Agilis is running the narrower model at high pressures the narrow tyre calls for, which kills the comfort over pot holes.
I've noticed how some have some sort of divine belief that they are correct in all things.

Sad as they tend to stop reasonable discussions on here.

Good afternoon,

Since about 2x years I have the Michelin CrossClimate+ installed. To ensure that I won't make a mistake, I ordered and arranged the change of tyres at my local VW Garage from where I bought the Ocean. Hoping doing so that only appropriate tyres will be installed. The disadvantage was that it was more expensive.

So far I had no problems with the tyres. Most of the time the front wheel spin can be avoided with the better grip, noise is no problem, more diesel usage seems not to be the case, and even after 35,000 km the wear of the tyres is ok and so far I did not get stuck somewhere in a field (touch wood).

Going forward I will replace them with Michelin CrossClimate SUV same size and specification, but from a garage closer to me, which will save me at least EUR 100.00.

Happy California,
Eberhard

So can you fit the standard CC to the rear and the commercial to the fronts...?

Or will the different compounds affect driving. A bit like you should never mix standard tyres and winter...?

I wouldn't expect any issue with the compounds but the different tyre structures will have different sidewall rigidity.
This may have handling issues especially as quite different pressures are also utilised.
I doubt if illegal but I'd personally have all 4 C rated or all 4 XL only rated.

I missed who was suggesting that?

Sorry.
I should clarify. I currently run CC XL and was considering moving over to the commercial CC to compare.
The rear tyres are still fine, so would only need to change the fronts...

Probably best to stick with the XL.
They’ve been fine so far. Not the best mileage, I should probably go easy with the fun pedal.

Sorry.
I should clarify. I currently run CC XL and was considering moving over to the commercial CC to compare.
The rear tyres are still fine, so would only need to change the fronts...

Probably best to stick with the XL.
They’ve been fine so far. Not the best mileage, I should probably go easy with the fun pedal.
Equally sorry, I read "so you can fit...." rather than "so can you fit....". Should have gone to specsavers!

Equally sorry, I read "so you can fit...." rather than "so can you fit....". Should have gone to specsavers!

Apologies, my bad grammar.

So I just re-read this thread and had a quick look elsewhere.
What’s the difference between CC+ and the SUV. Is it just a stiffer sidewall...?
I’m guessing tread pattern is exactly the same?

Good morning,

I was interested in the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain tyres (at the moment I use Micheline CrossClimate+). But it seems that the Urban Terrain was not available in the size I was looking for. So I contacted Michelin.

I got an email back that it is correct the Urban Terrain is not avialalbe in my size, but they would recommend the CrossClimate SUV. Here is part of the info I got:
However I want to inform you that we do have MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV tyre available in tyre size 235/55 R17 103H.
MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV have also like BFGOODRICH Urban Terrain T/A tyre 90% on-road and 10% off-road aptitude.

Looking at the pictures of the various forms of the CrossClimate+ the look all the same to me. But based on the email from Michelin it seems that there are difference.

Next year I willl need to replace the tyres and will go for the CrossClimate+ SUV.

Happy California,
Eberhard

What’s the difference between CC+ and the SUV. Is it just a stiffer sidewall...?
I've had the normal (perhaps original?) Cross Climate (without the +) alongside the SUV version, and there was no visible difference. With no visible difference, it won't change the mud performance, so we can perhaps safely assume it's a stiffness and load rating issue. Given the existence of the SUV model and the weight of our vans, I think we can exclude the no suffix version (if it still exists) and the + model, for our use.

Back