Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Customs allowances

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So normally we would stop at some point in France and get some vin.
Load the van till the arches kiss the tyres then remove a bottle. Done.
This time as we grabbed the trolley at the cave, a thought occurred. How much are we allowed post Breg-zit? Turns out , 20L/person. Approx 4 cases each. Not too bad.

Anyway fast fwd to Portsmouth docks.
Permanently angry customs hi-viz guy opens the van to check for immigrants (they were running about unchecked in the check in queue in Caen trying motorhome doors), obvs he found none but did ask how many boxes of wine we had. I replied, “our allowance”. He didn’t know what that was, so I told him. Next question “how often do you do this?” Does that matter I asked?

He just gave me an angry look and waved me off.

Brilliant.

I replied, “our allowance”. He didn’t know what that was, so I told him. Next question “how often do you do this?” Does that matter I asked?

He just gave me an angry look and waved me off.

Brilliant.

Brave man there.

There are two people I will always be polite to. Customs & the tax man.

Any one who has the power to demand a full cavity search just because he doesn't like the look of your face or your answer demands a certain amount of respect.

The tax mans search requirements are almost as invasive & the result is always painful.

Wine 18 ltrs according to my info source.

Came through Caen ferry route Sunday 19th and no sign of any 'illegals'. Gendarmes present outside gate.
Didn't see any on way in on Sunday 12th. First time that none seen for some years. Guess that the summer Calais inflatable route is more efficient.

Took ages booking in at Caen as ALL documents checked there leading to a quick Passport only checkout at Portsmouth.
Passport and check inside Cali was done by a very Professional and friendly guy at Portsmouth on this trip.
Like @andyinluton I/we always treat Officials with courtesy and respect.

The current allowance is 4 litres spirits or 9 litres fortified or sparkling wine plus 18 litres wine and 42 litres beer, per person. Another win for Brexit, as it was unlimited for personal use until this year ..........

The current allowance is 4 litres spirits or 9 litres fortified or sparkling wine plus 18 litres wine and 42 litres beer, per person. Another win for Brexit, as it was unlimited for personal use until this year ..........
Didn't realise it was Duty Free before Brexit, or was it?

It was not duty free before Brexit, you paid whatever you paid in the supermarket, included in that price was any tax. Difference now is youpay what u pay in the supermarket you can then get a refund at the port for any tax you have paid for whatever goods you bought. You claim the refund through your operator at the port, tunnel were very good with info on how

It was not duty free before Brexit, you paid whatever you paid in the supermarket, included in that price was any tax. Difference now is youpay what u pay in the supermarket you can then get a refund at the port for any tax you have paid for whatever goods you bought. You claim the refund through your operator at the port, tunnel were very good with info on how
So in fact the allowance of drink is cheaper and I presume if you buy more than your allowance of drink you get a refund of EU taxes and pay the U.K. equivalent taxes on the excess quantities?

Until the start of this year we could import any quantity of alcohol into the UK as long as it was for our own personal use, and as long as the appropriate level of local tax had been paid in the EU country in which it was purchased. France levies a tax on wine of only €0.03 per bottle, the UK £2.97 a litre. France taxes spirits at half the rate of the UK, Spain at just over a quarter. As I said, Brexit wins again .............

Until the start of this year we could import any quantity of alcohol into the UK as long as it was for our own personal use, and as long as the appropriate level of local tax had been paid in the EU country in which it was purchased. France levies a tax on wine of only €0.03 per bottle, the UK £2.97 a litre. France taxes spirits at half the rate of the UK, Spain at just over a quarter. As I said, Brexit wins again .............
The Brexit dividend.

You win some you lose some. C’est la vie.

Must admit I don’t drink that much and certainly not aware of the alcohol duty for each European country.

Is it worth it anyway? How much is a decent bottle of french plonk in tesco? Not much of a drinker either really but wine neither seems that expensive in the uk nor that cheap over here.

i do it in reverse, i’m in in my hometown with the van, i’ll get a case of the local ale. Not for cost reasons, it’s nice to have at home and they make good presents! But i wouldn’t bother loading the van to the gunwales

Is it worth it anyway? How much is a decent bottle of french plonk in tesco? Not much of a drinker either really but wine neither seems that expensive in the uk nor that cheap over here.

i do it in reverse, i’m in in my hometown with the van, i’ll get a case of the local ale. Not for cost reasons, it’s nice to have at home and they make good presents! But i wouldn’t bother loading the van to the gunwales
I would say the price of wine is probably twice as expensive in the uk compared with Spain. We (when travel was normal) would buy a dozen or so bottles in Aldi’s in Santander. Beer is different and is much more expensive in the UK for a “Strong” lager. It’s quite normal to see 6% + in a supermarket in France and Spain whereas the norm is 3% in the uk. My Son-in-law who is not a drinker would get a couple of cans of the strongest lager we could find. One year we found lager at 12%..That finished him...

yeah looks right you're right, just googled tesco's price for Cune crianza*, 15 quid compared to 7eur here.

*I know nowt about wine, that's the only bottle we had in the house.

It’s not really a cost thing, simply a case (pun intended) of what we like.

yeah looks right you're right, just googled tesco's price for Cune crianza*, 15 quid compared to 7eur here.

*I know nowt about wine, that's the only bottle we had in the house.
You must be posh. The Crianza we brought back this year was €2.20 a bottle, the cheap stuff was €0.65 but bring your own jerrycan to put it in. After the first bottle of an evening they all taste pretty similar to me.

Considering decanting mine into fresh water tank

Had to explain to student daughter that she could have 12 bottles of French fizz OR a bottle of Baileys. Price of fizz in Brittany supermarket 1.59 euros a bottle. Also got her allowance of Heineken big bottles worked out at 39p!!!!!! Each. Guess we are all mugs for paying the prices here. Bye bye booze cruises!

You must be posh. The Crianza we brought back this year was €2.20 a bottle, the cheap stuff was €0.65 but bring your own jerrycan to put it in. After the first bottle of an evening they all taste pretty similar to me.
definitely not if my dad is anything to go by. He came over with partner a few years back and the owner of the b&b left them a bottle of reserva, probably a 40 quid bottle in UK.
I asked what it was like, and they said it was lovely, they made Kalimotxos with it , ie red wine and coke…

Had to explain to student daughter that she could have 12 bottles of French fizz OR a bottle of Baileys. Price of fizz in Brittany supermarket 1.59 euros a bottle. Also got her allowance of Heineken big bottles worked out at 39p!!!!!! Each. Guess we are all mugs for paying the prices here. Bye bye booze cruises!
Hello booze cruises?

ecf60ff7ce91c45599b19df93bd5fed8.jpg

Definitely can’t do this anymore surprisingly this all went into a Touareg and realised I could fit more in (well, it was rude not to). Regarding price, this was about €45 a bottle in a restaurant and £10 incl. tunnel/fuel etc to get home. So well worth it.

We can moan about Brexwhatnot all we like but it’s good old HMRC who stopped this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back