Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclists: Scourge of the streets?

TD it really isn't worth it. This country is going for might is right approach. Its water of a duck's back for me because you will not change ingrained attitudes.

On the face of it, I would have to say that I've been less abused on the bike. I don't believe this is reflective of the way I ride but more to do with my size / physique. :Nailbiting

The most vulnerable I've felt is being on the IOW ferry, in lycra, with some semi-inebriated women.:stop

Its easy to label folks but numpties do many things, including riding bikes, driving cars, throwing litter etc etc doesn't mean all do :)
Most are numpties on a road bike, I believe most do drive cars but once in licra road use goes out of the window! (My experience in Suffolk)

Will be watching tomorrow. Cycling standards are pretty dire at the moment. Fed up seeing them jump red lights, I'm just waiting for one to get wiped out. And I'm the other cyclist they've gone past waiting at said red light!
Traffic lights are called traffic lights be ause they are for traffic. On a bike I am not traffic so sod those lights,. I'm not wasting kinetic energy waiting at lights with a load of cars and Van's. No way

Traffic lights are called traffic lights be ause they are for traffic. On a bike I am not traffic so sod those lights,. I'm not wasting kinetic energy waiting at lights with a load of cars and Van's. No way
You must be the IDIOT in this video then.

Just having a chuckle as I'm watching the worst UK car drivers on youtube.

I know..I broke my own rule..stay away from cycling threads (cos they soon become anti-cycling) and Brexit threads.
Anyway, I'm off to Canada in a week to do some proper off-road riding!

Enjoy the Rockies. I'm up to Wales the beginning of August (Staying at Tal-y-bont) for some MTBing / camping. Probably do The Gap.

You must be the IDIOT in this video then.
Have you ever undertaken a casual survey of cyclists and motorists compliance with traffic light signals? I have. Not only are motorists more likely than cyclists to ignore red traffic signals, they also pose a substantially greater risk to other road users.

In the casual surveys I have undertaken, between 50% and 75% of motorists who have the opportunity to disregard red traffic signals do so. The figure is closer to 10% for cyclists. A key difference is that cyclists tend to do it more blatantly. So while 1, 2 or even 3 motorists might pass a recently changed traffic signal, the 2nd, 3rd or 4th stopping, 1 in 10 cyclists might filter past other traffic before disregarding the red traffic signal.

So why such a focus by some on cyclists disregarding this basic rule of the highway?

My conclusion is envy. Those who shout loudest about the occasional errant cyclists are the most envious that they cannot do the same and filter past stationary traffic to disregard the traffic signal.

Why is this even being discussed? Nothing, except emergency vehicles should be passing red traffic lights.

Why is this even being discussed? Nothing, except emergency vehicles should be passing red traffic lights.
Pedestrians are not bound by red traffic lights, significant at temporary light signals where there is no footway.

I always stop at red lights, because I need a rest. ;)

Actually, I have jumped the lights once on my bike. The" incoming" car (from the right) was extremely irate but very apologetic when the reason became apparent.

The car in front of me had jumped the lights and hit a cat just past the facing lights. They didn't stop. So I went from braking to accelerating. The incoming driver wouldn't have seen this and I needed to control the ground in front of the cat to prevent the cat from being run over (again).

The woman passenger in the "incoming" car was very apologetic when she realised. The cat was alive but it didnt look good. We managed to find the cat owner. The woman passenger kept apologising. I told her not to worry about it.

Just arrived in Brioude waiting to see the Scourge of the Streets this coming Sunday (and I don’t mean White Whales). I am excited to see t Geraint, the Welsh Wizard, fly past en route to victory.

Just arrived in Brioude waiting to see the Scourge of the Streets this coming Sunday (and I don’t mean White Whales). I am excited to see t Geraint, the Welsh Wizard, fly past en route to victory.
Past those pesky red lights

It's not cyclists....
It's not drivers....
It's people.
I wouldn't mind betting the worst drivers make the worst cyclists and the more considerate you are in a car the more considerate you are on a bike....or steering that supermarket trolley.
It's our own behaviour, tolerance and risk levels that come to the fore.

and when I'm running on shared paths they are always trying to knock me down, being ridden erratically or riders shouting abuse at me because I'm holding them up.

I enjoy riding my bicycle but it has two things on it that seem demonised by the majority, lights and a bell. I'm sick to death of cyclists swerving round me with no warning, no manners and no care for anyone else on their stretch of tarmac but them.

I'm not tarring all with the same brush but sadly in my micro-world of common spaces their are a large majority who show scant respect to anyone else.
Bikes needs their own infrastructure, they not as fast as cars, but too fast for pavements, I’ve had plenty of arseholes step in front of me when I’ve been on dedicated bike paths so it goes both ways.

Stick to your lane.

Bikes needs their own infrastructure, they not as fast as cars, but too fast for pavements, I’ve had plenty of arseholes step in front of me when I’ve been on dedicated bike paths so it goes both ways.

Stick to your lane.

I think that I am in a particularly bad part of the world Rod,

Currently I am in Ferry Meadows, Peterborough, which is a cyclists dream and everyone gets on very well together. I was with my Sister walking my dogs a couple of days ago and we heard a bell behind us. It was so unusual both of us commented together drawing a great big smile from the cyclist. It seems to be the norm here, cyclists even thank me when I bring my dogs under control as they approach and they even slow down when they see small children ahead.

So unlike where I live where a state of war seems to exist between pedestrian and cycling traffic. I agree stick to lane and sadly what we experience is not even stick to the law, open grass spaces with kids and dogs running everywhere and clearly marked "No cycling" are used as mountain bike speedways: The duallsed "Walker/Cycle" lanes along Worthing seafront are ignored ... I got a mouthful of abuse the other month from two cyclists riding abreast, one in foot lane, other in cycle lane and the poor man in the foot lane had to drop back from his friend because I blocked his path and had the cheek of suggesting that if I had some audible warning of his approach, such as a humble bell, I would have got out of his way.

Yep it's very common. Awareness is shocking. Cycled back and forth to work all last week. Mobile phone use is unbelievable. We are not talking calls here. Seems to be the national pastime. Saw a spoof video sometime ago about new job opportunities for assistance walkers for people addicted to their mobiles.

CYCLISTS: SCOURGE OF THE STREETS?

Reading this thread and from personal experience it seems that yes, all too often they are. Indeed, it would appear that some cyclists seem to develop an anarchistic streak which can sometimes get emboldened when they move around in groups. Unfortunately, there is far too much online video evidence available to support this statement. As has already been said, these individuals would probably display a similar attitude when driving.

However, I have no doubt that the vast majority of cyclists do obey the rules and do ride in a safe and considerate manner. Sadly, their image is being tainted by these "scourge" cyclists.

The only trouble with rules are that they have to be enforced. Regrettably, the individuals that think the law doesn't apply to them know very well that there is next to zero chance of them being stopped and punished.

Last edited: