Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dang, I missed another option! (Heated windscreen)

RetroRed5

RetroRed5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Even though I've already ordered my Cali, I still keeping having a play around with the online configurator (don't ask me why); anyway, I just spotted an option that for some reason I didn't spot the first 100 times using it and that is the heated front windscreen; I think I kind of assumed that it would be heated as standard (most cars I've owned over the past decade or so had a heated front screen); anyway, I'm going to go back to my dealer (again) tomorrow to ask them to add it but I just thought I'd ask around on here to see what folks generally think of this; for a car costing close to £80k (at list), I think it should be standard, what do you think?

Cheers.

Ah I see; is that why it's not standard on the Ocean do you think?

Yes probably, when its really cold the heater thaws the van out nicely.

Are you going to park it outside through winter and use it most frosty mornings? If not it’s a waste of money, as above, heater works a treat

Ours came with heated screen, doesn’t seem to work any quicker than the previous Cali we had which didn’t have one. However, we haven’t been through a winter with it yet!

A heated front window was one of the best things on my LR Defender , it also lets inside condensation disappear in minute...

I've never actually had a heated windscreen in a car, but have found that the defrosters generally work pretty well of late. What I have had lots of are broken windscreens. I just don't see the point of adding a more expensive consumable item when the usual 'blow hot air on it' seems to work not bad and will be cheaper to maintain in the long run. Unless you're on approach to the pub in severe icing conditions with heavy bird activity in the parking lot...

I would not have it. I camp all year round, the heater keeps ice off the outside, a decent external screen keeps condensation off the inside. When it does occur the heater is brilliant for clearing it.

I've never actually had a heated windscreen in a car, but have found that the defrosters generally work pretty well of late. What I have had lots of are broken windscreens. I just don't see the point of adding a more expensive consumable item when the usual 'blow hot air on it' seems to work not bad and will be cheaper to maintain in the long run. Unless you're on approach to the pub in severe icing conditions with heavy bird activity in the parking lot...
Yes I agree with that, ours was already optioned as it was a showroom model but the thought of a stone hitting it ..... :Nailbiting

If you're using the van as a daily commuter through winter I can see the benefit, but if not then yes the heater does it a good enough job. On the coldest mornings it takes 30 mins of heater action to start melting the ice, whereas the heated screen takes about 5 mins. I've got both but if ordering again wouldn't bother with the heated screen.

Thanks all; you just saved me £426, I owe you all a pint (or a glass) :thumb

Here's a good idea, I could always get out and use a screen scraper thingy to shift any stubborn ice ;)

Thanks all; you just saved me £426, I owe you all a pint (or a glass) :thumb

Here's a good idea, I could always get out and use a screen scraper thingy to shift any stubborn ice ;)
No need, just take the heater remote to bed ;)

If you took the double glazed glass too, I can talk you outta that one for another pint ;)

I took the "laminated glass package with privacy" option but my understanding is the double-glazing is standard on the Ocean (in the UK at least) and so you have no choice with that one but I'll buy you a pint for trying ;)
:cheers

Even though I've already ordered my Cali, I still keeping having a play around with the online configurator (don't ask me why); anyway, I just spotted an option that for some reason I didn't spot the first 100 times using it and that is the heated front windscreen; I think I kind of assumed that it would be heated as standard (most cars I've owned over the past decade or so had a heated front screen); anyway, I'm going to go back to my dealer (again) tomorrow to ask them to add it but I just thought I'd ask around on here to see what folks generally think of this; for a car costing close to £80k (at list), I think it should be standard, what do you think?

Cheers.

Depends how cold it gets where you live. I have the heated screen, it's excellent. Tried the heater but a) you have to have it on for ages, 20 mins plus and b) you have to remember the remote or set the timer. Get in switch on rear and front screen less than 5 mins I'm on my way. No numb hands and no risk of scratching the screen.

Worth it in my book.

I have it, think is standard on the Highline spec, used it once...but I rarely see early mornings!

I have it and use it, it's good to clear the screen quickly

I’ll go against the grain and admit I wished we had a heated windscreen. Over the damp winter months the screen would often start misting up when driving, and we have to blast the heating right up and on full power to clear it - but in turn makes it uncomfortable sitting behind a furnace..

I’ll go against the grain and admit I wished we had a heated windscreen. Over the damp winter months the screen would often start misting up when driving, and we have to blast the heating right up and on full power to clear it - but in turn makes it uncomfortable sitting behind a furnace..
If that was with AirCon On then something wrong with the AirCon or the Vehicle is damp inside. Never had that problem.

I always use the Diesel Parking Heater fired up 20 minutes before leaving as I prefer to have a warm vehicle with cleared windows from the off rather than a cold vehicle with clear windscreen and iced side windows.

Back