Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated front Screen Option - worth having?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
How much is the option. I'm sorry I don't get it. Its a bit the electric side door. Pointless. Open the door manually and use the heater

J

jillyfish

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
How much is the option. I'm sorry I don't get it. Its a bit the electric side door. Pointless. Open the door manually and use the heater
just under £500 i think. Yes, I think the heater idea is sensible. nice to get such a varied lot of replies. there does come a point when one has to say 'enough' due to expense, although the other half thinks as we are spending so much on Cali anyway, we should include it.....

andyinluton

andyinluton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I think the heated screens are laminated glass which also have better acoustic and heat insulating properties.
All California windscreens are laminated Irrespective of heated or not.

Adamvanman

Adamvanman

VIP Member
I have never seen the heating elements unless I look very closely, I think the people who say it's destracting but have some bionic eyesight

El Greco

El Greco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have front and rear windows heated. I wouldn't do without them. It's the side windows that are the problem, waiting for them to clear.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have front and rear windows heated. I wouldn't do without them. It's the side windows that are the problem, waiting for them to clear.
Hmmm, possibly easier to just put the diesel heater on and clear all the windows and warm the cab too.
Volkswagen offering this option on a California is what’s called squeezing the Lemon...

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Both our current vehicles have heated windscreens. Our previous Beach also had one. In my view they are a very useful feature.

On most very cold mornings I will activate the parking heater about fifteen minutes before we are due to leave the house. Obviously that warms the interior and helps to clear the windows. However if there has been a particularly hard frost, frozen rain or snow then the windscreen may still be frozen. On those occasions and also when there is condensation on the inside, a few minutes of the heated windscreen will sort matters out.

Yes, they aren't essential but I much prefer a heated windscreen to all that scratching about with a debit card or scraper. Mind you I've never done that. I've always preferred to chuck a bucket of warm water over it!

For complete and utter luxury go for the parking heater, heated windscreen and bum warmers. :thumb

Last edited:
jimmywease

jimmywease

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Personally I enjoyed having the heated windscreen, for fast demisting and defrosting HOWEVER visibility has been affected by a recent windscreen replacement. Autoglass have replaced the cracked original screen with a non-original screen and the heating elements are much much more visible.

I have raised this issue with Autoglass and await their inspection. I'm sure they'll fully agree that the new screen is an unacceptable replacement and have it changed for an original screen free-of-charge, as the customer is always right, yes?

Eber123

Eber123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good afternoon,

If I would configure a California I would add this option.

Cleaning the front screen of the van is a pain, because to reach everything is difficult. If there is ice and snow on the screen, even with an extension on the scraper, it is not easy to get everything off (well, I must admit I am not the tallest with 1,75).

Regards,
Eberhard

J

jillyfish

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I LOVE this forum. mind changed back again! Others sharing their experiences and views are just so helpful and useful. best thanks Jill

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
£500 for something that could be possibly slightly useful occasionally.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
£500 for something that could be possibly slightly useful occasionally.
Get Amarillo, some maths and stats to work out.
How many times a year is HFS used averaged over a 3 year ownership...???
Going by some of the answers here, the cost per clear could be as high as £50 a defrost...:D

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Actually, going by Motorcyclists
Used ours once in two years. I wouldn’t spec it myself, but ours was a showroom van already specked.

Although, the one time I did use it, it worked great!
Actually Motacyclist current wins the highest defrost cost at £500 per melt...;)

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have heated windscreen and its up there in my top three options that I would choose again, these threads make me laugh as the haters just appear to be jealous as they have not got the option, thats all it is so I think at the end of the day you will have to make your own mind up .
It's the same when there is a LED headlight thread on here, all the haters will pick away to find the smallest things wrong because secretly they wish they had them.

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Actually, going by Motorcyclists

Actually Motacyclist current wins the highest defrost cost at £500 per melt...;)
That’s a complete bargain compared to what the cost to sleep in it per night works out at! ;)

westfalia

westfalia

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have it on another vehicle and it probably gets used about 5 times a year,
if you are not gonna be driving off early each morning then you won't need
it.
See what your brothers think :D

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Get Amarillo, some maths and stats to work out.
How many times a year is HFS used averaged over a 3 year ownership...???
Going by some of the answers here, the cost per clear could be as high as £50 a defrost...:D
An interesting and important exercise. Everyone should do a cost benefit analysis of every option and aspect of the California before buying. Will I actually use this? If so how often? Therefore is it worth it?

How many times does "never cooked in" or less often "never slept in" appear in the for sale section?

As for the heated windscreen, I use it quite a lot during the colder months and not only for frosty conditions. A bunch of dripping wet kids can often cause misting up.

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
An interesting and important exercise. Everyone should do a cost benefit analysis of every option and aspect of the California before buying. Will I actually use this? If so how often? Therefore is it worth it?

How many times does "never cooked in" or less often "never slept in" appear in the for sale section?

As for the heated windscreen, I use it quite a lot during the colder months and not only for frosty conditions. A bunch of dripping wet kids can often cause misting up.
I’m with you Borris, taking that to an extreme, what about styling, no functionality what so ever, although many people happy to spend many thousands on wheels, spoilers,, B pillar black outs, extra tinted glass, wraps, polishes, splitters, hula girls, mascots and more.
It’s an option for a reason !

Last edited:
blondebier

blondebier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hula girls? I missed that option.

Tell us more...

Our Partners