Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated Rear Screen OPTION?

C

Calibang

VIP Member
Hi All

Not sure if this has been covered before (I had a quick search on the forum) but the issue regarding the Heated rear screen being a no cost option?

The dealer has told me even though you specifiy the rear wash/wipe, the heated screen is a nil cost option - but if you dont ask for it, then you wont get it. To be honest I dont understand as I said my Triumph 1500 of 43 years back had a heated rear screen (wasn't very good mind).

The dealer, after much research told me its because the Ocean comes standard with double glazed rear screen, whereas if you specify the heated rear screen this is only single glazed.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is the heated screen required given its double glazed.

Any help would be much appreciated. The options list is driving me potty (Im trying to buy a "ex demo" which appears to be a way of offering discount on effectively pre registered vehicles.

Thanks in advance

Hi All

Not sure if this has been covered before (I had a quick search on the forum) but the issue regarding the Heated rear screen being a no cost option?

The dealer has told me even though you specifiy the rear wash/wipe, the heated screen is a nil cost option - but if you dont ask for it, then you wont get it. To be honest I dont understand as I said my Triumph 1500 of 43 years back had a heated rear screen (wasn't very good mind).

The dealer, after much research told me its because the Ocean comes standard with double glazed rear screen, whereas if you specify the heated rear screen this is only single glazed.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is the heated screen required given its double glazed.

Any help would be much appreciated. The options list is driving me potty (Im trying to buy a "ex demo" which appears to be a way of offering discount on effectively pre registered vehicles.

Thanks in advance

Yeah it's been covered before but happy to go through it again. The brochure / configurator is confusing because it describes the option as heated rear screen with wash wipe implying that without the option you don't get the wash wipe. That is not the case. Double glazing with wash wipe is standard and if you specify the heated option it is single glazed. Because it's double glazed as standard it doesn't need the heating element and it's much quieter (including reducing noise from the wiper). Hope this helps.

Welcome on your first post , think @Joker 1299 answerd your Q .
Very confusing ordering a Cali ain't.
No need for a heated rear screen anyway .

My configurator print off says: 4HS rear heated window with wash wipe etc it also says QL0 Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed privacy glass in the passenger compartment, I assume that includes the rear window or does 4HS override it?

My configurator print off says: 4HS rear heated window with wash wipe etc it also says QL0 Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed privacy glass in the passenger compartment, I assume that includes the rear window or does 4HS override it?

Heated rear window is always single glazed as far as I know. You will get double glazed rear side windows but not the rear screen. The door window is not double glazed and not the windows opposite. So it's not so much the passenger compartment as the boot which I guess is the sleeping area if you sleep downstairs

Welcome on your first post , think @Joker 1299 answerd your Q .
Very confusing ordering a Cali ain't.
No need for a heated rear screen anyway .

I think things get lost in translation into English but that's no excuse for a vehicle of these price levels!

Thanks, it ain't simple, how long would it take someone at VW UK to clarify it all?

A good dealer can help. We found Guy at Preston excellent, there wasn't anything he didn't know.

• Informative
Reactions: BRC
Heated rear window = single glazed only
Need the double glazed rear window for noise reduction when in la la land downstairs
Dave and lisa

Hi All

Thanks in advance
The dealer is correct. Ocean standard fitment is a double glazed rear window without heater elements but with a rear wiper. Don't know if the heated option is just an unintentional "left-over" in the configurator as I've no idea why in the UK at least you'd want to forego the double glazing. That being said every demo Beach I've seen has regular single glazing so maybe it's linked to that...I don't know.

The dealer is correct. Ocean standard fitment is a double glazed rear window without heater elements but with a rear wiper. Don't know if the heated option is just an unintentional "left-over" in the configurator as I've no idea why in the UK at least you'd want to forego the double glazing. That being said every demo Beach I've seen has regular single glazing so maybe it's linked to that...I don't know.
Wait until the Rear Double glazed unit losses it's seal, and they can.
Obviously if you don't use the vehicle outside the summer season then not required at all. I do and don't always remember to switch the Parking Heater on beforehand.
As far as sound proofing, I really don't see the point unless ALL windows Are double glazed and the canvas bellows sound insulated as well.

Obviously if you don't use the vehicle outside the summer season then not required at all. I do and don't always remember to switch the Parking Heater on beforehand.
As far as sound proofing, I really don't see the point unless ALL windows Are double glazed and the canvas bellows sound insulated as well.

The wiper on my T5.1 Caravelle (single glazed) used to make one hell of a noise dragging its ass across the screen. It would sometimes make me jump if left on intermittent. My T6 (double glazed) wiper glides across in silence. Double glazing worth it for that alone!

Fair point, I was limiting my thoughts to the scope of the warranty period and not thinking about long term ownership issues. Most uncharacteristic of me (says the man whose favourite motor was a 98 S-plate Polo 1.9D with manual windows - What Luddites Car of the Year 3 years running). My double glazing at home did about 10 years before losing vacuum. Are VW units particularly bad?

The wiper on my T5.1 Caravelle (single glazed) used to make one hell of a noise dragging its ass across the screen. It would sometimes make me jump if left on intermittent. My T6 (double glazed) wiper glides across in silence. Double glazing worth it for that alone!
Rain X, and can be used on all the windows.
You'll be wanting Double Glazed windscreens next.

Double glazing is great in keeping the heat in. This will nor help on a freezing winter morning with the rear and front windows covered in ice or snow. Try defrosting that with your parking heater and with the frozen surfaces on the other side of the heat. I specified heated front and rear windows. I can defrost these in a matter of a few minutes. Just my experience.

Fair point, I was limiting my thoughts to the scope of the warranty period and not thinking about long term ownership issues. Most uncharacteristic of me (says the man whose favourite motor was a 98 S-plate Polo 1.9D with manual windows - What Luddites Car of the Year 3 years running). My double glazing at home did about 10 years before losing vacuum. Are VW units particularly bad?
So far I have changed the rear behind the sliding door and now I need the tailgate unit. All double glazed units will fail, they are manufactured to fail at some point, in your home windows or in a camper van windows the make up of them is exactly the same.

We chose the heated rear window option - Cali is our main vehicle so we chose many options that had been on our previous car. We haven't used her over the winter yet so can't comment on insulation.

We chose the heated rear window option - Cali is our main vehicle so we chose many options that had been on our previous car. We haven't used her over the winter yet so can't comment on insulation.
You won't have a problem. Personally I think Double Glazing in a car is more a gimmick than a truly effective heat/noise insulator as it is in the housing market. You only have to examine the minuscule air gap to see why.

You won't have a problem. Personally I think Double Glazing in a car is more a gimmick than a truly effective heat/noise insulator as it is in the housing market. You only have to examine the minuscule air gap to see why.
Well said, and so very true
Before I replace the unit that's failed in the tailgate I could do with finding out if the wiring is their for a heated rear screen, if so and it's a simple job to connect with a new switch in the dash panel then that would be my choice. I guess all the caravelles from the start of the T5 series came fitted with heated rear screens? does anyone know?

Well said, and so very true
Before I replace the unit that's failed in the tailgate I could do with finding out if the wiring is their for a heated rear screen, if so and it's a simple job to connect with a new switch in the dash panel then that would be my choice. I guess all the caravelles from the start of the T5 series came fitted with heated rear screens? does anyone know?
A Dealership might be able to help using the VIN number.

We went for heated rear screen option on our T6, the less double glazing the better! If you are unlucky enough to have a smashed window, your local Autoglass man won't hold double glazing in stock but they will have single glazed.

I have owned both and can say it makes zero difference on heat insulation or noise.

We went for heated rear screen option on our T6, the less double glazing the better! If you are unlucky enough to have a smashed window, your local Autoglass man won't hold double glazing in stock but they will have single glazed.

I have owned both and can say it makes zero difference on heat insulation or noise.
I went for single glazed/heated version after being very clearly being given a load of old b*****ks by the dealer. When I posed the question about the differences, I was informed that the standard fit without heater, no mention of double glazing, was so that people could have an unobstructed view out of the vehicle without the heater element lines. I needed to see out when driving so went with the heated version.

Back