California 30 years options

Smo

Smo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hello,

Soon to be first time Cali owner here.

I have just ordered my first California Ocean and will be one of the lucky ones to be getting a 30 years edition. This was not my original intention until the dealer looked at the spec I had chosen and worked out that it would be more cost effective to get the 30Y. I was surprised to hear there was still allocation in the UK so I bit his hand off.

After transferring the options I had selected over from the regular ocean to the 30Y, most of which are standard on the 30Y I noticed that privacy glass and the heated rear windscreen had been missed off. When I questioned the dealer he said that the green privacy glass was standard and that the heated rear windscreen was NOT an option. I can live without a heated rear windscreen so the order was placed.

Even though I had placed the order I was not convinced privacy glass was standard and when comparing the wording found that is wasn't. I questioned the dealer and he agreed but then when I asked for it to be added he said it wasn't available just like the heated rear windscreen.

So my question is, is privacy glass really not available on the 30Y edition or is this a computer glitch (computer says no)? That said the dealer did say he phoned "someone" at VW to double check and they confirmed it wasn't an option. It seems strange as I would have thought most people would take this option.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to double check the available options would be gratefully received as I still have time to amend the order apparently.

Cheers.

Privacy glass can always be added aftermarket... We don't have it, don't miss it...

Oh, and having the heated rear screen deletes the double glazed window at the rear...

Maybe you are right. The dash (I assume is ‘not available and S is standard). Options have prices next to them

31C9768D-AA7C-4D84-840F-C60CF86D1F66.png

Hi all,

Thanks for you quick replies.

Volkywagen, thanks for sending through the spec list although that doesn't look right as the 4HS - rear heated window, I was told isn't available but it has an S next to it and like you I think it means it's standard. I see the QL0 has a dash so maybe it isn't available but I believe the standard glass to be QL3 and that has a dash too.

Good points. It may change as they told me 4-6 months build time from order at the moment. I can’t see this edition missing out on important and popular specs that the other models have, never say never. It is Vw after all.

I expect there may be a glitch on the system especially as when I ordered they had to hand write most of it on the order form because there was no option to select the 30Y on the computer.

Points taken on the double glazing vs heated rear screen, thanks.

I expect there may be a glitch on the system especially as when I ordered they had to hand write most of it on the order form because there was no option to select the 30Y on the computer.

Points taken on the double glazing vs heated rear screen, thanks.
Privacy is standard, its worded as green heat insulating glass which is the same thing.

Privacy is standard, its worded as green heat insulating glass which is the same thing.

Now I'm really confused as the below is from an email I received today from VWCV.

Thank you for your recent contact to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK.

I am delighted to hear of your recent order of the California 30 years edition. I have discussed your enquiry with our Product Support Team who have confirmed that privacy glass neither comes as standard or as an option for the California 30 years. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause to you.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and giving me the opportunity to respond to you; I wish you many happy years with your California.

Hmm, now I’m confused....

My sentence was cut and copied from an email from our dealer who confirmed it was :Nailbiting as I was also interested in one. No split colours available on the 30Y so I called it a day.

Think we must be going to the same dealer as that's exactly what they told me. I sent them part of the vehicle builder and pointed out that green glass was missing from the wording and they back tracked.

Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 18.14.26.png

TBH as long as it's got windows to stop people getting in and the dog getting out it will be fine and worse case I do a DIY tint and have an odd looking window where the wardrobe is, could be worse.

That should have been "privacy glass was missing from the wording".

I am delighted to hear of your recent order of the California 30 years edition. I have discussed your enquiry with our Product Support Team who have confirmed that privacy glass neither comes as standard or as an option for the California 30 years. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause to you.
This is nuts. While I'm not overly concerned about someone seeing me slurping my asparagus soup, picking wax from my ears or arguing with my wife over whose turn it is to clear up the dog's do do on the neighbour's pitch, a little daytime privacy in a campervan does seem a basic requirement.

The green insulating glass is slightly tinted and in my opinion plenty dark enough, the optional privacy glass is the blacked out windows look.

There is a video floating About on you tube of 001 at a recent show somewhere, you can clearly (get it) see that the windows are tinted.
You will be able to pick your ear wax out now without being spotted :confused:

Let's be clear, green insulating glass in not the same as privacy glass. Some here consider that privacy glass isn't dark enough and apply a further tint.

This is nuts. While I'm not overly concerned about someone seeing me slurping my asparagus soup, picking wax from my ears or arguing with my wife over whose turn it is to clear up the dog's do do on the neighbour's pitch, a little daytime privacy in a campervan does seem a basic requirement.

Indeed, if someone peers through the window and clocks me in the all together well then that's just there bad luck, but I'm also concerned with privacy when I'm away from the Cali as most of my stuff will be in there on show. Obviously I'll take valuables with me or hide them but that's not the point. It feels like a step back to me, one of the main reasons for buying a new car or van is so you can have it exactly the way you want it, especially when you're paying California money.

Perhaps VW want people to look in at the 30 Cali. - I would add a tint or if that much of an issue avoid the edition and build my ideal Ocean from the configurator.

A lot of special editions seem to have little choice in changing the build from the manufacturing ideal spec.

Last edited:
looks tinted in all VW advertising on their web page

img.jpg

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Are VW able to fit privacy glass to your 30th Anniversary or have they given you alternative solutions?

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Are VW able to fit privacy glass to your 30th Anniversary or have they given you alternative solutions?
Privacy glass is definitely not an option on the 30 years. The dealer sent me some photos of the glass that comes with the 30 years, it has a very slight green hue to it but in no way does it block out any light. Just to be sure I popped down to the dealer to take a look and onsite they had the one in the photos, one with the standard VW privacy glass (not that private in my opinion) and one with aftermarket limo tints over standard glass and the limo tinted one looked fine. The issues with the window over the wardrobe not matching if you have aftermarket tints which I had read about in other threads wasn't that bad as that area of the window is blacked out anyway. So aftermarket tinting it will be, although unlike some dealers my one doesn't offer this service so I may be looking for recommendations next spring.
Rear window.jpg Inside rear window.jpg

Back