Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dangerous dog breeds?

Slovenia

Slovenia

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We have a nice adopted eleven years old American Staffordshire Terrier and would like to do a trip to the UK. I read that this breed and many others are not allowed to enter. Is this correct? Many countries have a ban for some breeds (France, Croatia, Germany,..), but we always take him with us and never have any problems. We always meet some locals with such dogs and they say it is nothing to care about. How is in Britain regarding it?

Staffordshire terriers I believe are not classed as dangerous on the dangerous dogs act, I know many people who have them. I don't know about an american one however, they may be different?

The regular Staffie are the in the top 5 most popular breeds here in the UK so you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless he has parentage from any of the banned breeds. Pit bulls are banned and are the dogs they are sometimes mistaken for:

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

Just did some searches and this thread has good info too, it seems sometimes pit bulls can be registered as American Staffordshire so worth checking out for sure! It sounds as if he may be a pit bull in some eyes. It seems you may be right to query this.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/american-staffordshire-terrier-re-banned-breed-in-uk.347593/

"Spoke to defra earlier who said amstaffs aren't a recognised breed over here and fall under the pitbull type breed category.
Chances are he would be seized at border control and not to take the risk bringing him over.
And most the documents he has and awards he has won aren't going to be recognised over here in the UK. "

Last edited:
Our english bull terrier is frequently called a dangerous pitbull. :D
What idiot banned english bull terriers in some EU contries no idea :))
Considering the most dangerous breed trained to attack humans is a german shepherd.
https://petolog.com/articles/banned-dogs/

Last edited:
The Amstaff differs from the Staffordshire and even more from the Bull. The difference between the Amstaff and the Pit Bull (http://dogs.petbreeds.com/compare/8-191/American-Staffordshire-Terrier-vs-American-Pit-Bull-Terrier) however is problematic, the Amstaff not being a recognized breed in Britain.

But the list of banned breeds includes an "American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier (http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/England.cfm), so I'm afraid you have a problem. See also: http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/american-staffordshire-terrier-re-banned-breed-in-uk.347593/

Whatever I read, it states that it is forbidden to own such dog. Nothing about tourist visitors.

I wouldn't recommend bringing such a dog on holiday, I think it has every possibility of going horribly wrong for you. Personally I am in the camp that says there is no such thing as a bad dog - just bad owners; but that won't help you when your fur covered family member has been impounded.

If you really want to come over and bring the dog, I would suggest checking with the port authorities and the police, perhaps the RSPCA can also advise.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Or have a great holiday with your dog in other pet friendly country. :cool:

A lot of campsites in Spain have a poster in reception that has photos of dogs that aren't allowed entry to the site.

Will be funny when England bans Staff and English Bull terrier. Ireland already did. :D

It is like with falling airplanes. The safest transport that attracts an insane amount of attention on accidents.

Not a single Staff or English in that stats list. http://dogs.petbreeds.com/stories/4046/dog-breeds-attack

And this so true :))
2015-09-09-1441826812-4655468-journalistpitbull-thumb.jpg

I wouldn't recommend bringing such a dog on holiday, I think it has every possibility of going horribly wrong for you. Personally I am in the camp that says there is no such thing as a bad dog - just bad owners; but that won't help you when your fur covered family member has been impounded.

If you really want to come over and bring the dog, I would suggest checking with the port authorities and the police, perhaps the RSPCA can also advise.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Contact Defra, Pet Passport

In the UK, it’s against the law to own certain types of dog. These are the:

• Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Braziliero
It’s also against the law to:

• sell a banned dog
  • abandon a banned dog
  • give away a banned dog
  • breed from a banned dog
Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name.

ExampleIf your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be a banned type.

If you have a banned dog
If you have a banned dog, the police or local council dog warden can take it away and keep it, even if:

• it isn’t acting dangerously
  • there hasn’t been a complaint
The police may need permission from a court to do this.

If your dog is in:

• a public place, the police don’t need a warrant
  • a private place, the police must get a warrant
  • a private place and the police have a warrant for something else (like a drugs search), they can seize your dog
A police or council dog expert will judge what type of dog you have and whether it is (or could be) a danger to the public. Your dog will then either be:

• released
  • kept in kennels while the police (or council) apply to a court
You’re not allowed to visit your dog while you wait for the court decision.

The key wording is Pit Bull Terrier. How is your dog named in your passport? If the description contain's the words " Pit Bull" you are taking a chance. Your decision.

So, I have just come from the UK and by my surprise saw a lot of dogs that looked very similar to ours. It seems that the Staffordshire Bullterriers (SB to make it shorter) are bred to be larger as people cannot have the American Staffordshire Terrier (AST). This is not a case in Europe where all SB seem to be in the correct size. I spoke to a lady that had large AST looking dog and she told me that it is a SB and Boxer mix. My question was how does she know that and she said that a Vet told her. So, it seems that the vet can say our dog is an SB or whatever else looking similar. Maybe an Engish Bullterier - Malinois mix :).
We adopted him at his 9 years of age and have no pedigree. I am sure he is AST as they are very common here and there are many waiting for adoption. This is our third AST, two were adopted.
Anyway, we will go and have our one month travel vacation somewhere else where there are not so many problems. Thanks for your help.

I can understand your frustration, of course, but because there have been so many incidents involving Staffies butting children, killing children, killing other dogs, well terrible really what people will do to be powerful through their dogs. Better to have a glorious trouble free holiday than one where your dog could be impounded. I travel with 6 dogs and I know how very very important they are.

I met a chap with one in Glastonbury at the weekend, it was registered and in public had to wear a muzzle. The dog was very friendly and calm. It is a shame that the law is how it is he looks a beautiful job.

Many european countries have even more banned breeds, but the UK seems to base it on certain physical features rather than pedigree.

I met a chap with one in Glastonbury at the weekend, it was registered and in public had to wear a muzzle. The dog was very friendly and calm. It is a shame that the law is how it is he looks a beautiful job.

Many european countries have even more banned breeds, but the UK seems to base it on certain physical features rather than pedigree.
Perhaps the penalty across the Channel is applied differently if a dog of any kind kills a child. The law here to persecute an owner whose dog kills a child INSIDE THE HOUSE does not apply. This was highlighted, oh about 18 months ago. Hard to believe, eh?