Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash cams illegal in Portugal

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Just returned from a few months in Portugal with the California. We have a Transcend Drive Pro 200 dash Camara which constantly records, which is excellent. It is on the front screen, low down in the centre. It is clearly visible from the outside. We had no problem whist driving in Portugal, but a friend of ours who had a similar camera, was stopped by the police and fined for using it. When we looked into this and sought legal advice, we discovered that it is indeed illegal in Portugal to film people or other peoples' property. You may wish to take heed of this warning if you are travelling in this otherwise beautiful country.

I will, as I frequently use my Go Pro while out there on my car or scooter to film the route and countryside....

Thank you.

I knew that the Swiss and Austrian privacy laws made it difficult but not Portugal.

I will, as I frequently use my Go Pro while out there on my car or scooter to film the route and countryside....
Yes, me too. My favourite pastime in Portugal is riding my Yamaha trail bike on the thousands of miles of off-road tracks. I also use a Helmet mounted GoPro. Not so risky as a dashcam as it is so easily switched off and there is no way to play back, so you can say it was not recording. The cops do tend to lurk on busy roundabouts to nab unsuspecting victims, as it's easier to hit their targets for fines.

Just returned from a few months in Portugal with the California. We have a Transcend Drive Pro 200 dash Camara which constantly records, which is excellent. It is on the front screen, low down in the centre. It is clearly visible from the outside. We had no problem whist driving in Portugal, but a friend of ours who had a similar camera, was stopped by the police and fined for using it. When we looked into this and sought legal advice, we discovered that it is indeed illegal in Portugal to film people or other peoples' property. You may wish to take heed of this warning if you are travelling in this otherwise beautiful country.
Wonder what happens if your insurance premium includes a discount for having one on? I know RAC take it into account (if you buy one of theirs) but I can't see the Portuguese police caring about that. Probably have to ring the insurance.....what a faf. Good info though :thumb

Wonder what happens if your insurance premium includes a discount for having one on? I know RAC take it into account (if you buy one of theirs) but I can't see the Portuguese police caring about that. Probably have to ring the insurance.....what a faf. Good info though :thumb
Insurance Companies will be fully aware of Countries that don't permit Dashcam use.

Wonder how they treat cars with built in cameras (Speed limit sign recognition) that doubles as an accident recorder as in our Citroen.

France has laws on posting recordings on the Media Sites, comes under Privacy Laws.

More guidance here

There was a case reported (in UK) the other day where someone was convicted of criminal damage after keying a parked Tesla... the car recorded the offender in the act and provided evidence that was used in court!

Whether we like it or not we're all being watched, pretty much everywhere now in public places.

There was a case reported (in UK) the other day where someone was convicted of criminal damage after keying a parked Tesla... the car recorded the offender in the act and provided evidence that was used in court!

Whether we like it or not we're all being watched, pretty much everywhere now in public places.
And tracked via our phones, various Apps, and bank cards etc, etc.

True, but a Tesla only records once motion has been detected by the cars radar. It's a great feature especially if it results in a conviction...rather than coming back to a damaged vehicle left with a hefty repair bill; Would be great if all manufacturers could fit on new cars as standard.

//
Sentry Mode is a feature that allows you to monitor suspicious activities around your Tesla when it’s parked and locked in specified locations. When suspicious motion is detected, your car will react depending on the severity of the threat.

If a significant threat is detected, the cameras on your car will begin recording, and the alarm system will activate. You will receive an alert from your Tesla app notifying you that an incident has occurred.
//

I wonder if the new Mercedes trucks that have mirrors replaced by cameras have recording facilities, not to mention the Direct Vision Standard required for trucks in London.
Over a decade ago when I ran an HGV operation the Insurance Company provided Dashcams which had to be on at all times.
I had a recording of an HGV rear ending a JCB, on the opposite carriageway, which resulted in a fatality. I supplied the recording to the Police who after verifying that it wasn't a hand held device used the footage in Court. HGV Driver got 4 years imprisonment.

It would be reasonable to assume that all HGV's have Video recording. They do (or did) have to have a notice that CCTV recording facility is fitted