Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Northern Spain And Portugal Campsite Recommendations

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Taking a 3 week trip to Via Bilbao ,across to Potes (Picos Mountains ) , then heading across to Portugal down to central Portugal Via coast (we think )but open to ideas , then back across middle Spain and back to Bilbao in May/June this year .
If anyone has any tips on good quality scenic campsites and/or places must visit in both Northern Spain or Portugal so that i can put a brief plan together before we depart it would be appreciated .
I have some knowledge of the region but would be grateful to others that have already been here.
Thanks .

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Taking a 3 week trip to Via Bilbao ,across to Potes (Picos Mountains ) , then heading across to Portugal down to central Portugal Via coast (we think )but open to ideas , then back across middle Spain and back to Bilbao in May/June this year .
If anyone has any tips on good quality scenic campsites and/or places must visit in both Northern Spain or Portugal so that i can put a brief plan together before we depart it would be appreciated .
I have some knowledge of the region but would be grateful to others that have already been here.
Thanks .
Couple of nice sites in northern Spain:
campinglashortensias.com - Playa da la Franca
campinglapaz.com - Playa de Vidiago
campinglaviorna.com - Potes
camping-ribadesella.com - Ribadesella
We went at Easter - very quiet. Returned the following year in August - nightmare. Very busy along the whole coast - sites full!

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Couple of nice sites in northern Spain:
campinglashortensias.com - Playa da la Franca
campinglapaz.com - Playa de Vidiago
campinglaviorna.com - Potes
camping-ribadesella.com - Ribadesella
We went at Easter - very quiet. Returned the following year in August - nightmare. Very busy along the whole coast - sites full!
Thats great thank you . I have camped at Camping laviorna (Potes) so was pleased to see you recommended that site as that is the sort of site we like , so im guessing your other recommendations will be really helpful , thank you .
Im going to start from Potes (La Viorna ) and move west then south into Portugal ( I think) and the only site i am going to book is La viorna as i am thinking no need to book in May /June (early part) . Hopefully this will be ok as i hate pre planning all my trip .
Appreciate your recommendations and if you think of any others or places of interest at any time please advise as its always good to get ideas from others that have already been and done it .

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thats great thank you . I have camped at Camping laviorna (Potes) so was pleased to see you recommended that site as that is the sort of site we like , so im guessing your other recommendations will be really helpful , thank you .
Im going to start from Potes (La Viorna ) and move west then south into Portugal ( I think) and the only site i am going to book is La viorna as i am thinking no need to book in May /June (early part) . Hopefully this will be ok as i hate pre planning all my trip .
Appreciate your recommendations and if you think of any others or places of interest at any time please advise as its always good to get ideas from others that have already been and done it .
We’re exactly the same and that’s why we love the Cali. Go where we want, when we want for as long as we want. Strangely the weather was as nice at Easter as in the summer, but May / June should hit the sweet spot. Good luck and enjoy.

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We must be very similar. !!.....Click on my profile and look at date i joined VWCCC .......then click on yours ......1 day different back in 2013 .......

Ozzy Pete

Ozzy Pete

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Have you tried ACSI.Camping Card. We have been with them for a number of years and the campsites for France and Spain are incredible also Portugal and many other countries. The prices are mainly for off season but the app and books you get give you masses of information and reviews on each site. The prices range from 12 Euros for the cheapest up to a maximum of 22 Euros for the most expensive. It costs around €18 to join but you can save that by visiting just 2 campsites.

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Have you tried ACSI.Camping Card. We have been with them for a number of years and the campsites for France and Spain are incredible also Portugal and many other countries. The prices are mainly for off season but the app and books you get give you masses of information and reviews on each site. The prices range from 12 Euros for the cheapest up to a maximum of 22 Euros for the most expensive. It costs around €18 to join but you can save that by visiting just 2 campsites.

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Cheers Pete . Yes I have the ACSI books and they really help but it would be great to hear if anyone has any recommendations from sites they have actually stayed on if possible plus places they consider a must visit along the way .
Agree with you though the ACSI books and app are really good and I’ve used them a lot to research campsites before arriving .
Thanks Again

Ozzy Pete

Ozzy Pete

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Cheers Pete . Yes I have the ACSI books and they really help but it would be great to hear if anyone has any recommendations from sites they have actually stayed on if possible plus places they consider a must visit along the way .
Agree with you though the ACSI books and app are really good and I’ve used them a lot to research campsites before arriving .
Thanks Again
The only thing is everyone has a different idea of what a good campsite should be.. Some want quiet and out of the way and others want a holiday camp with a waterpark. We normally go home via Santander and stop at an Aire at Cabarceno which is 11 miles away. It has one of the best wildlife reserves I’ve ever seen certainly in Europe. To go in is about €30 but if you want to just view the Animals you can get within feet of the Elephants. For an Aire it’s basic but it’s always fairly full but the icing on the cake is the wildlife park and the lake.

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The only thing is everyone has a different idea of what a good campsite should be.. Some want quiet and out of the way and others want a holiday camp with a waterpark. We normally go home via Santander and stop at an Aire at Cabarceno which is 11 miles away. It has one of the best wildlife reserves I’ve ever seen certainly in Europe. To go in is about €30 but if you want to just view the Animals you can get within feet of the Elephants. For an Aire it’s basic but it’s always fairly full but the icing on the cake is the wildlife park and the lake.
Thanks for the suggestion of the wildlife reserve . That is definitely something I might consider for the last day as well .
Agree on campsite choice …. For me it’s a mix of scenic , (either coast or mountain views )quiet , not on top of my neighbour sites , mixed in with occasional site within walking distance of a nice village or town . Definitely not a water park or kids based site .
Thanks Again

bob_summers

bob_summers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
We're just down the coast at San Sebastian, we're up and down that stretch of coast throughout Easter and summer (Pyrenees in August when the coastal sites are rammed) - La Paz is a good call mentioned above. Oyambre is good if you can find space amongst the Germans in the top field, it's right on the beach, and further along towards San Vicente there’s plenty of farmers charging 5€ a night to stay in a field overlooking the ocean. Trad campsites are expensive in peak season and basic for what they charge but its all about those views. Expect to pay 30€/night plus hookup in August!

VW California Club