Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Northern Spain And Portugal Campsite Recommendations

ive had 6 absolutely fabulous weeks in Portugal - what a lovely country! I have so many tales to tell and had planned all my sites in fear of what it was like in scotland last year! So far, I got 3 sites wrong but found others no bother.
Sadly I left the Serra Da Estrela this afternoon and was about to be stopped for all the wrong reasons on a very quiet mountain road. By luck, as I was attempting to reverse out of the situation, a car appeared round the corner and the van who’d driven across the road to block my way drove off! Long story short....i could see the van stopped on the road below me, so pulled in and waited.....i finally had to take my chance as there was no other traffic....a very slow road down....at every corner I was on the lookout for the van!
sad and I’m told it happens....otherwise a lovely trip where I’ve felt safe.
3 weeks to go ending up in Picos and San Sebastián before the dolphin-watching cruise back from Bilbao! Too many tales to tell...I was even on TV....!
I’ll maybe post my fav sites when I get back.
It would be so lovely to meet a forum member or two enroute.....the Dutch are out in force, as are the Germans....everyone’s been so lovely.
im missing not having my dog, but I meet countless dogs enroute...today I met 2 Estrela Mountain Dogs....beautiful...the first is Max (an Alsatian!)....he took me on my 11k walk!

View attachment 93507

View attachment 93508
Sounds fantastic (except for the slightly cryptic … attempted robbery? …of course)
Would you mind sharing a couple (or all!) of the best sites you’ve stayed at and places you’ve visited? I’m planning a Portugal trip next year… thanks

Last edited:
Sounds fantastic (except for the slightly cryptic … attempted robbery? …of course)
Would you mind sharing a couple (or all!) of the best sites you’ve stayed at and places you’ve visited? I’m planning a Portugal trip next year… thanks
I think I’ll try and come up with some way to summarise my route when I get home and will post that. At the mo, I’m sending pics and tales to friends who asked to ‘follow‘ me....I can’t keep up....every day has been an adventure! They’re probably getting more than they bargained for!

can anyone recommend a map I could create to show my route....I’ve done a my google map but think there are prettier ones for posting...?

I think I’ll try and come up with some way to summarise my route when I get home and will post that. At the mo, I’m sending pics and tales to friends who asked to ‘follow‘ me....I can’t keep up....every day has been an adventure! They’re probably getting more than they bargained for!

can anyone recommend a map I could create to show my route....I’ve done a my google map but think there are prettier ones for posting...?
It’s fantastic that you’re having such a good time. I must say that reports of road block attempts by other vehicles really puts me off. I
know there are risks everywhere, but that sounds pretty extreme and quite scary!

It’s fantastic that you’re having such a good time. I must say that reports of road block attempts by other vehicles really puts me off. I
know there are risks everywhere, but that sounds pretty extreme and quite scary!
Just to say, I cried on the way to the ferry in Portsmouth....reports of fake policemen in Spain, arriving in rush hour, driving on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car....and roundabouts all giving me the heebie jeebies....!
So, I didn’t notice rush hour so didn’t need to sit it out til 10am at Bilbao port. I raced through Spain to Brabanca where I stopped for fuel on the spanish side (I’d been taking notes of all advice on the forum!)....was caught unawares with being served fuel (I like that!) but when I went in to pay, I found I’d landed in the most odd place....guns, hams , cheeses...and through a curtain was a mini market! Then they did something weird with my card and gave me change...I just drove off asap!
Driving along on the edge of roads has been interesting at times....if I’d been a passenger, I’d have shut my eyes when driving around the steep precipices with no edge to the road....but as a driver, that wouldn’t have been sensible!
ive tried to park outside cafes or places with lots of activity and so far so good....although that’s not always possible when one’s on a walking type holiday!
Roundabouts are fine....mainly cos there’s hardly another car on the road!

Sadly I was (the only) witness to a car theft which was a tad scary cos I was alone....they even turned back to check me out...I’d taken photos of their registration number.! I didn’t wear my pink hat for several days, in case the thieves recognised me! The police eventually turned up but weren’t that concerned....shrugged their shoulders! It turned out to be a car park on the top of the cliff down to a nudist beach...luckily the car owners had not left all their clothes in the car!

Well, I’m learning what to look out for and I carry one credit a card and my passport with me at all times. I lock my doors. And I will now keep my handbag in the front with me....anyone wants to, they can pinch that....passport and other card is hidden away!

It has been adventure full of tales....all the others are funny, amazing, cuddly.... ever so memorable in the very best way! It’s been fab, and I’ll be back! I feel safe here...it’s the third safest country in the world apparently....one of the reasons I’m here as my first foray over the channel in my van!

I’m now just worried about the Picos... in Spain.....

Picos abandonned.....I have COVID! Instead I’m in a hotel being pampered, but stuck in my room with great terrace overlooking hills which are beckoning....it’s made me stop and rest, albeit not the ideal way to finish my trip! Picos next time!

We are still in northern Portugal - brilliant trip. The real Portugal is so different to the Algarve. Fantastic people, food, drink and some great campsites. It really has been a journey of discovery unlike any other holiday. Many people live really simple lives and certain things are so cheap. We’ve loved the experience. I’ll do a summary of our trip and campsites on our return - currently on a €12 per night (inc. ehu) site with a bar, restaurant and pool!

We are still in northern Portugal - brilliant trip. The real Portugal is so different to the Algarve. Fantastic people, food, drink and some great campsites. It really has been a journey of discovery unlike any other holiday. Many people live really simple lives and certain things are so cheap. We’ve loved the experience. I’ll do a summary of our trip and campsites on our return - currently on a €12 per night (inc. ehu) site with a bar, restaurant and pool!
Great to hear! I would love to receive some campsite recommendations as intending to head Portsmouth-Santander next year

Diesel in Spain

We’ve just arrived over the Pyrenees into Pamplona and now need to refuel. There seems to be two options for diesel, one for old cars and one for new.

Does anyone know what the difference is and which one my T6.1 Cali will prefer to drink please?

The cheapest (relatively). The dearer one is not even sold in many fuel stations as it's something like 2.30eur a litre.

Remember, til the end of June the Spanish govt is refunding 0.20eur per litre. So if you see 100eur at the pump you'll pay 80 at the cash desk.

The cheapest (relatively). The dearer one is not even sold in many fuel stations as it's something like 2.30eur a litre.

Remember, til the end of June the Spanish govt is refunding 0.20eur per litre. So if you see 100eur at the pump you'll pay 80 at the cash desk.
Thanks Bob. That’s great to hear. 2.30€! That’s approximately Uk pricing.

I used to “treat” my van to a tank of the posh stuff every few fill ups (with no evidence that it makes any difference at all!) but not at that price!

A couple of cracking sites the last week. In Portugal:
https://www.parquecampismocovas.com/
And in Spain:
Nice also to bump into

Just on the last leg now in Brittany and it’s been a blast! Apart from white van man taking most of my near side door mirror off in Picos de Europas, it’s been fantastic.

Recommend: overnight ferry to Santander, Potes and Picos (cable car ride at Fuente Dé is spectacular), San Sebastián for pintxos and Rioja, Aix en Provence just because it’s gorgeous, Lyon and especially Les Halles (for food obvs), Tours also great and now in Morbihan southern Brittany…also lovely.

Just a big bill to fix the mirror now as considered a part and not covered by insurance ☹️

So much fun until. it wasn't. Our three day drive through France took 18 days, Spain was lovely for a couple of days, Pamplona, Rioja, then a family bereavement demanded a through the night drive back to the UK. Vinnie Vango handled the journey seamlessly. Hopefully back there in September to continue the trek.

So much fun until. it wasn't. Our three day drive through France took 18 days, Spain was lovely for a couple of days, Pamplona, Rioja, then a family bereavement demanded a through the night drive back to the UK. Vinnie Vango handled the journey seamlessly. Hopefully back there in September to continue the trek.
Hope your return in the autumn gives better memories.

So sorry that events took such a turn but glad Vinnie got you all back safe…next time around for you hopefully

Another fantastic trip . Picos (Potes) was superb as i could get the mountain bike out and tackle some extreme off road climbs and descents . Didn't get to drive the Douro valley due to poor weather that was expected on the week i allocated for that area so moved myself to inland spain where i found some great parts of spain and great weather . Then across to Haro for more mountain bike trails etc plus great wine . A great 3 weeks and despite not taking paddle board (lack of space ) , i didn't actually miss it on this particular trip . The real beauty of the Cali and not pre booking sites came into its own on this trip . Look at weather , decide on a town / area , check out sites (ACSI) and off we go .Highly recommend Brittany Ferries crossing to Bilbao (or Santander) . Takes all the stress out of the journey and when ypou look at real costings driving all the way down through France at the moment and add on the calais ferry their really isn't much difference . I have been a long term France lover for trips in the Cali , but , i think Spain has got me hooked now and ill go back soon to explore the Douro Valley and Portugal .Hope you had a great trip too @Azteccamper .

Just packed the van ready for the ferry to Santander tomorrow night. Off to do some walking in the Picos, really pleased with the pull out drawer from the Club shop 16EA9270-0702-4003-AAA4-7D89460D01EA.jpeg