Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash Cams

My 402 just plugs into my Apple mac.

Up pops I-Photo, a list of 70 plus files, and an option to select some or all for download. It could not be simpler. If I want it on my TV then apple TV does that for me as well.

My 402 just plugs into my Apple mac.

Up pops I-Photo, a list of 70 plus files, and an option to select some or all for download. It could not be simpler. If I want it on my TV then apple TV does that for me as well.

Thanks Granny, from a great Grandfather.
I am not into Apple products just Windows xp and the TV with a Humax recorder sitting beside it.
I can get the dash cam pics on the PC but only in still form, using a VLC File or Quick Time file.
I went to Halfords in Stamford to get advice,,much to busy (so they said )not at all helpful. so got my money back £129.00
Then went on to Halfords Peterborough, much more helpful >However the price had reverted back to £149.
Came back home and ordered it through Amazon £126.00
Ain't life fun when one has a Cali to drive!!!!!

The 402G comes with a CD that has bespoke software that uses all the features of the unit. There is a Windows version and a Mac version. If your computer doesn't have a CD player (like my Macbook) you will need to transfer your version of the software onto a USB stick from someone elses computer, or download it from the Nextbase website; and then install it on your computer.

From memory, to install it on the Mac you click on the .dmg file, then drag the program into your Applications folder.

On a PC you would run the Setup file and follow the instructions.

This is what the screen looks like with the Driving Recorder Player (on a Mac

Driving Recorder.jpg
As well as the movie, you can see there is lots of other information there like direction of travel, location on Google maps, direction of any impact, sound waveforms so you could see a bang etc. As the movie plays you can see your location moving on the Google map - pretty cool I think!

Even if you have installed the correct software, when you plug your cam or SD card into the computer, the computer sees it as media files and may think that you are uploading your holiday snaps and movies and want to view them on your default program; and you will only see the movie file.

When you plug in the dash cam you have to close the default program, and open the files with the Driving Recorder Player. If you have XP or similar, go to the Start menu, Programs and look for it in there (there might be a shortcut on the Desktop). If you have a Mac, from the Finder click Go > Applications > Driving Recorder Player (we'll call it DRP from now on).

Once DRP is running, go to File > Add Filelist and navigate to where your dash cam files are and select all of them. After that it should be straightforward. (?)

Hope this helps anyone who is stuck. :)

Yep I agree there.!!!!!!!!! However it makes life interesting My next question is:- how do I get a play back on the tv. I have tried the HDMI cable, and no joy My 2 P.C.s are both on windows XP Professional so I don't think it will play back on them probably too old a system. I wll try a reformat of the sd card.

When I get the replacement NextBase 402G from Amazon tomorrow I will tell you what capers that I have had with it for two days before I returned it to Halfords at Stamford
Dick
To be honest I havent tried the TV yet. I will give it a go later and see how to get it working with the HDMI cable, and let you know. I would imagine you just connect HDMI cable to TV and Cam, put TV onto HDMI setting, and hopefully would work. I'll let you know!

Just had a trip to Scotland in my car. I wanted to take the dash cam but was dismayed by the amount of wiring and windscreen space to add this to the after market sat nav. The solution was this Garmin Nuvicam which combines sat nav with a camera. It performs both tasks admirably and is light years ahead of the RNS510 in the Cali, so if you don't already have built in sat nav (or even if you do) this is well worth considering.

This looks really neat. I've already ditched my dash cam as it was too much hassle and had a poor quality image.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Mine is behind my rear view mirror, although this does mean the cable is rather irritating but the view is the best available.

Mine is behind my rear view mirror, although this does mean the cable is rather irritating but the view is the best available.
Have a look at Post No 3 Matt, if you have enough cable to reach.

I managed to push cable up between headlining & screen down A pillar & behind door rubber. It plugs into socket on end of kitchen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have one from Smart Witness http://www.smartwitness.co.uk/product/1000/svc100gps-lca The firm I worked for fitted these onto all of their vehicles. It resolved a few issues with insurance companies. A child ran into the road from behind a parked car, the driver braked and just nudged the child. No injury but camera showed he was doing 15mph not 30+mph that witnesses claimed.
Mine records onto a 32Gb SDHC card & can save up to 2-3 weeks of home to work recording, then over-writes the oldest data.
I met a driver coming up the down ramp near some road works. No one believed anyone could have got there - until I showed them the photos. If you have any questions about how useful they can be look at these http://www.smartwitness.co.uk/article/74/case-studies Case 1 shows a motor bike. Bike already on it's side & slides into car tries to say that it was the car driver's fault.

Mine links to Google Maps & records speed plus position on the map. It also has driving style data which can be interesting to view. About the size of the middle of a toilet roll & fits behind the mirror. You put the memory card into a card reader and view it on a laptop. Simon

I have one from Smart Witness http://www.smartwitness.co.uk/product/1000/svc100gps-lca The firm I worked for fitted these onto all of their vehicles. It resolved a few issues with insurance companies. A child ran into the road from behind a parked car, the driver braked and just nudged the child. No injury but camera showed he was doing 15mph not 30+mph that witnesses claimed.
Mine records onto a 32Gb SDHC card & can save up to 2-3 weeks of home to work recording, then over-writes the oldest data.
I met a driver coming up the down ramp near some road works. No one believed anyone could have got there - until I showed them the photos. If you have any questions about how useful they can be look at these http://www.smartwitness.co.uk/article/74/case-studies Case 1 shows a motor bike. Bike already on it's side & slides into car tries to say that it was the car driver's fault.

Mine links to Google Maps & records speed plus position on the map. It also has driving style data which can be interesting to view. About the size of the middle of a toilet roll & fits behind the mirror. You put the memory card into a card reader and view it on a laptop. Simon
We have these fitted in our trucks at work. That was one of our trucks the bike went under in Scotland. Camera saved driver all sorts of grief !

This is a screen shot of what you get,
Smart Witness.jpg
Main picture is the view from windscreen pillar to pillar, screen below has speed, time & the coloured lines next to it show how you are driving. Screen bottom right is the Google Map of where you are. Handy to find certain points when you are looking for them in a whole journey. Simon

I have fitted these (front and rear)cameras http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/Blackvue_DR600GW_Wifi.php The front one is hidden behind the rear view mirror and the cables led underneath the cab headlining. For the power cable it then goes down behind the A pillar trim on the drivers side down to behind the headlight switch where it picks up its power. Also got the ‘smart power’ box so that the camera turns on automatically with the ignition and will continue recording for 6 hours after I park (will also shut down if it detects the battery voltage has dropped to much). Bit of extra effort to have it fit and forget but I knew that if I had one that needed to be plugged in each trip I would forget on the one day its needed.

It’s there really just as extra insurance / witness for the sort of scenarios listed in the last post and also any malicious damage / parking knocks.

We have these fitted in our trucks at work. That was one of our trucks the bike went under in Scotland. Camera saved driver all sorts of grief !

Thank you for the update Andy. A very impressive piece of film. I imagine the driver of your truck was pleased he had the camera. Most of our staff were nervous about them at first, but pleased to have it afterwards. I wonder if he would have been believed by the Police without the camera. Simon

Last edited:
Just noticed that Halfords have now knocked £45 off the price of the Nuvicam.

PS: It's worth joining British Cycling to get the 10% off everything at Halfords, even if there is already another offer on. This would make another £25 off this purchase, enough to cover the subscription.

Thank you for the update Andy. A very impressive piece of film. I imagine the driver of your truck was pleased he had the camera. Most of our staff were nervous about them at first, but pleased to have it afterwards. I wonder if he would have been believed by the Police without the camera. Simon
We were unsure about them at first. Most have acepted them. As stated on web site police arrested driver at sceen, but let him off having seen footage. Biker was killed.

Here is my version with gopro session and a iphone:
f9e09d62fedad70150b846378db219d9.jpg

I had a nasty incident in my T5 with a Toyota double-cab pickup recently (who randomly decided he didn't like being overtaken) and whilst talking to the Police about it they asked if I had any dash cam footage. Annoyingly the copper seemed more interested in my driving & quite indifferent to the homicidal **** running around, possibly on false plates ...

I liked @motacyclist screen shot of the software, and my T5 car tax cheque arrived whilst I was reading about it, so today a Nextbase 512 arrived - looks to be very similar to the 402 but has a polarising filter to help take some glare off.

Mine is mounted behind & slightly below mirror to the left with the top part of the sucker just overlapping the dotted section of screen. I've bought a hardwiring cable to go with it (c. £12) so will be re-reading this thread & searching for a T6 fusebox diagram tomorrow. Very pleased it's not that visible from the outside front or sides & just the 2" of cable above the mirror will be visible.

I now see that fusebox & wiring diagrams are like the Holy Grail ...

Fortunately for me the hardwiring kit from Nextbase thoughtfully includes a magical step-down box from standard 12V to USB-friendly 5V, so all I think I need to do now is pop the panel & find a fairly low rated fuse to piggy back off.

Hi All,
A very informative thread. I did not realise that they were illegal in certain countries until reading this.. Thank you.
I have two dash cams working in my car at the moment. Just recently fitted the rear.
Both are transcend pro 200' which I have bought from HalFrauds when on offer usually around the £65 mark. They really do show a detailed picture when played back through PC.
Whilst using car with rear camera fitted I have noticed that any dipstick tailgating me noticing the rear camera soon drops back to a more safer distance. That alone is worth the cost of a camera. So maybe if you don't want to record, a cheapo with the wires showing is a good deterant.

Anyone interested in a dashcam for Christmas, just had an email from ebay today and the excellent Nextbase 512G is on offer at a fantastic price, £114,95 delivered, further discounts apply if you buy extras. That is a lot cheaper than anywhere else, just treated myself :bananadance2
Don't hang about if you are interested, limited quantity remaining. I have no personal interests in the seller btw. Cracking deal :thumb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nextbase-...-/291560901927?_trkparms=5373:0|5374:Featured

Looks a good buy, its £179 in Halfords :thumb

(Actually Halfords will do a price match, but state they exclude auction sites, so I guess that includes Ebay, although a buy-it-now is not an auction so it might be worth a try. Another 10% off too if you are in British Cycling.)