Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashcam Parking Mode

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

I fitted a Thinkware 770 dashcam recently. When you turn off the camera goes into parking mode and records either when detecting motion or by continuous time lapse.

You can set a voltage level and the camera shuts down when it reaches this level to stop it flattening the battery.

I have this set at 12.1v but within 5 minutes the camera shuts down after reaching this level.

I am not very competent with electrics so have I set the level too high or is my battery in poor condition?

Advice appreciated.

TIA

Steve

Is it connected to the leisure or starter battery?

I guess you are... But are you sure it's shutting down completely or is it just snoozing awaiting a bump?

We had a similar issue with a Blackvue camera. This comes with a 'power magic pro' gadget to control when it kills the power to the camera to protect the engine battery. Like yours you set the voltage that you want it to cut out. Ours was set to 12.5v on the recommendation of the fitter, and we never had the parking mode kick in as it was always dipping lower that that. I've now got it on 12v and it's ok. Right now, I can see that our engine battery is sitting at 12.6v and the leisure at 12.8v and the solar system thinks they're both full. I was expecting them to go higher than that. Should I be worried?

I think there’s a voltage drop on the 12v connectors. Some are worse than others, dependant on how far away from the batteries they are. The adaptor I’m using has a voltage display, and an alarm goes off if it goes below 12v. The alarm goes off regularly, and that’s on a brand new van with brand new batteries; and the camping controller unit is showing 12.6 - 12.8v.

I would need to look at mine again but I recall switching off any lights I could. Mainly so the unit would be less obvious but also to save power. It’s in options.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the replies.

I wired it into the fuse box in the centre of the dash so thought all of those fuses would run from the engine battery?

Further info - it definitely shuts down as it announces it and I have all the lights off.

May try setting to 12v as suggested.

Thanks

Steve

Back