Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashcam wiring and cable routing on a 6.1

Abx

Abx

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
So my Cali will not be here until the new year but the spending has started, could not resist a Christmas 10% off, and they agreed warranty will not start until I fit so even better!

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a dashcam on a 6.1, on my 5.1 it was run cable across roof lining, down A-Pillar, glove box out and feed cable to fuse box, but on the 6.1 the glove box appears to be moulded in so what are my options to get across the dash to the fuse box, under dash panels off?

Also, I need a perm live and a switched live from ignition, anyone know what fuses they are?

Thanks

Following, what became a slightly heated discussion with a VW dealer mechanic on the subject of sidebars and dash cams voiding the VW warranty if fitted by non VW people. I decided to go the Nextbase dash cam route using the supplied plug in connector.
I know this is not the neatest route usually but I did find a compromise.
I used the sticky pad bracket supplied with the NextBase (as the rubber sucker ones always fall off eventually) and ran the cable under the roof console, under the driver side roof lining, down the driver pillar, under the dash and over the pedals and under and around the plastic gear lever console and carpet, up through the glove box and connected the plug into the permanently on 12v cig socket.
The lead on the Nextbases are just long enough to do this in the Cali.

Parking mode is on and records video movement and shock while stationary. I kept an eye on battery usage and so far haven't had an issue. This is partly helped by the fact that there is a rechargeable battery in the NextBase that is topped up when connected to the supply.
OK.. its not the most elegant but it isn't bad. I am now looking at fitting a stand alone, cheaper rear facing camera in the same way.

I used the NextBase GW622 which isn't the cheapest but does have a fast polarised lens and very very good resolution (invaluable when you need the evidence) . It will support a cabled rear camera as well if required. S far been very happy with this setup.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_7522.jpeg
    IMG_7522.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7520.jpg
    IMG_7520.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7519.jpeg
    IMG_7519.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7521.jpeg
    IMG_7521.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Abx
Thanks for that and the pictures, even though I want to take straight to the fuse box this give me 80% of the route which is 80% more than I had yesterday!

Camera arrived yesterday and looks a great bit of kit, now the BV's don't need a power magic pro it makes life just that little bit easier

Thanks again
Arron