Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer Issues

We did report 1 dealership to the Trading Standards, but after such a harrowing experience from numerous dealers trying to spend money we have gone elsewhere, voted with our feet as they say.

We did report 1 dealership to the Trading Standards
Wow, that must have been a bad experience - not surprised you went completely away from VW. Such a shame this sort of thing happens and really no need for it.

And although I said we should complain, it's really a case of why should we have to - really annoys me when dealers are so bad - all they will probably say is that the next customer is around the corner :(

Would be nice to put pressure on VW as a group though ;) For the Cali being sold through useless VW Van centres - I was looking to buy at VW Guildford (I've heard many bad things about them before but like to make my own judgement), you know, they never, never came back to me, even when I went in a few times - the guy never got back to me. If someone wants my hard earned cash, they have to work for it not the other way around!!!

And yes I'm more than happy to name and shame - if they did their job properly I wouldn't have ;)

I was looking to buy at VW Guildford (I've heard many bad things about them before but like to make my own judgement), you know, they never, never came back to me, even when I went in a few times - the guy never got back to me
Similar experience for me on my first Cali purchase with Liverpool VW and Wrexham VW, no calls back. They didn't call back when I enquired after VW panel vans for work either, so we bought from an eager and helpful Ford salesman.

(Wrexham no longer have the Cali franchise but this was because the showroom ceiling was too low for the elevating roof :confused:)

On my second Cali purchase Liverpool again failed to return my call even though we had just bought a (company) Sportvan off them.

North Wales VW did call me back but mixed experience with them when they said they had advertised the pre-reg van at the wrong price and stuck another £2k on it :headbang

I contacted 15 dealers last week to register my future interest in a T6.

I have had 2 replies.

The same problems exist with all mainstream car and van suppliers. They all work the same way.

At the beginning of the relationship, a "sales executive" sits in the showroom. His job is to to make friends with the customer, or punter. He doesn't need to know anything about the vehicle he is selling and frequently knows less than the punter, who has researched his prospective purchase thoroughly. He goes through his rehearsed routine with the punter and then offers him a deal. The punter then asks for a better deal and the sales executive, giving the impression he is on the punters side, goes to see his boss, the "ogre" sitting in the corner office, and eventually comes back with a slightly better offer and eventually a deal is reached. Subsequently, punter is talked into having paintwork protection, gap insurance, and alloy wheel insurance in effect wiping out all the discount he has achieved in his previous sparring.

Next, the handover. This is where, in the case of a vehicle like the Cali, the sales executive trots out a load of misinformation and the punter drives off in his extremely expensive and shiny vehicle to start his new adventures.

Shortly after this, the punter finds some problems, and discovers his cosy relationship with his friend the sales executive has ended and he is in the hands of the receptionist. Punter describes his problems to said employee who types them into the computer, completely misunderstanding them and missing important details.

The details are printed out and given to the "technician" Wayne on the garage shop floor, who half reads them, finds a completely alternative meaning and proceeds to fix a non existent fault, leaves a few oily footprints, screws and handmarks around and scribbles something on the fault report which is then half read by the receptionist and types her/his interpretation into the computer. Vehicle is then washed and vacuumed but oily marks are missed.

Punter then comes in to collect the vehicle and receptionist smiles and hands over the keys. On being asked what the problem was, he/she squints into the screen for a few minutes and eventually states that a software update and ECU reset was carried out. Quite what this has to do with the original problem evades the punter, but believing that dealership knows what they are doing happily drives off. Unfortunately, shortly after finds that the original problem is still there and vehicle is looking distinctly second hand with oily marks, missing fasteners and screws lying on the floor.

And so starts three years of frustration and :headbang:headbang:headbang

This has to be one of the posts of the year :D

Many thanks every one. I love my cali but just sad that i have owned it a week now and still not had any gas or heat! I had no idea about the "Tie Down straps and clips for Roof, Table Strap and First Aid Kit" either. i really think the dealer has no idea sadly. i have written to vW customer complaints, and will mention the other missing items too. Looking forward to some fun adventures together...maybe some champagne whenever i get all the bits missing together!!
thank you all:)

Many thanks every one. I love my cali but just sad that i have owned it a week now and still not had any gas or heat! I had no idea about the "Tie Down straps and clips for Roof, Table Strap and First Aid Kit" either. i really think the dealer has no idea sadly. i have written to vW customer complaints, and will mention the other missing items too. Looking forward to some fun adventures together...maybe some champagne whenever i get all the bits missing together!!
thank you all:)

I can help with the champagne :D

Why have you had no gas or heat?

Champagne always good!
The heater was broken which I only discovered after driving a few hours and then the camping gaz connection to regulator was missing too. I think they left out quite a few things. VW Customer Service are going to dislike me a lot!
:rage!!

oh what a bummer!

However those gas regulators are hardly rocket science, it should only take them 24 hours to source one ....

Now, important issues ... does the fridge work? Champagne needs neither a heater nor gas ;)

I hope it's soon sorted, then very quickly the bad start will be a distant memory and the wide perm-smile will be a fixture.

Snip:

Personally I think that the VW car centres should sell the Cali and not commercial centres - I always thought it strange that the commercial centres sold them (I can understand from the point of view that is a Transporter base oh and as far as I'm concerned the Caravelle is still a transporter base ;) ), but I'm sure the technicians could easily be trained to service the transporter - I'm sure they are many common components across the entire VW range - this is how it works now to maximise profit and save costs.

Perhaps we could put some consumer power together to 'bulk' complain to VW and make things change for the better - it's ridiculous to be treated in any other way than as a valued customer when spending (well any amount really) around £60K for a top spec Cali Ocean.

It's terrible that not only did the dealer not supply everything you should get, but then to turn around and say the remote is not supplied!! Name and shame - I think we should all name and shame, hopefully their sales will drop and maybe they will make amends accordingly ;)

And that is the real problem. We are being dealt with by the Commercial Vehicle division whose majority clients want a working reliable van with a quick turn round for any services or repairs, so as not to loose money. They are not worried about greasy finger marks on an already dirty interior.

We are the odd balls in this situation and VWUK needs to look at this and sell the Cali through the retail car division of their dealerships.

I have said this to one of those retched satisfaction call backs recently. I very much doubt anything will come of it.

I agree with Jen, we need to start pulling together on this issue, as we did with the roof problems, to get VWUK it change its ideas.

Alan

Awaiting to hear from VW and Listers. Does the auxillary heater only work below a certain ambient temperature? I have been assured it is working but when I put it on it never works. There is no noise and no heat generation when the auxillary heater is on. The dealer says it only works below a certain temperature and ambient temperature has not dropped below 15C. I hope this is true about the heater........The gas attachement arrived so I need to try it out now:)
thank you all and willing to pull together on VW customer care too:)

There are two heaters in the California, a Webasto one that heats the engine coolant that only works below 5 deg C; and the Eberspacher one that heats the vehicle interior.

The former works automatically and cannot be controlled by the user, while the latter can be controlled from the control panel above the windscreen and also turn on remotely with the fob you should have had included.

If it's the latter you are talking about then it doesn't matter what the temperature is outside, you should be able to turn it on and enjoy a Turkish bath!

You can check what heaters are installed in your vehicle by looking at the stickers in the door shut area on the drivers side.

Stuff the temperature up to max, switch on and it should run even in the middle of the sahara.

Thank you, i will check that. It is the heater from the control panel above windscreen that is not working. It has been back three times now, i keep telling them its not working. it didnt work when they were in the van with me either but they said that it was too hot for it to work. i do not have a fob as the original dealer told me it is a factory option and does not come as standard.... vw customer service are hopefully investigating this for me.
So i need to bring the van back to the delaer again and not leave until the heater actually switches on... I am doubting myself now.. I rented a cali Se last year as a try before you buy and i remember the heater sounded loud when you switched it on and there was no doubting that it was on. So i assumed that this one i just bought would be the same. It is on on the control panel and the button is orange but there is no noise or no heat. ... so I need to go back to the dealer with it again...... very frustrating after spending so much money on my camper :-(

Stuff the temperature up to max, switch on and it should run even in the middle of the sahara.
it is on level 10! I have even not driven the van for 24 hours so that it would be cold and tried it in the middle of the night and nothing!
Think I need another dealer! (third time lucky)

Nights are getting below 15 degrees now.

Take a note pf the temperature, pop out, set the heater to 7, switch on and it should work. You will hear a ticking, a noise like a mini jet engine starting up, a stream of cold air from the vents by the rear of the drivers seat, then a blast of hot air.

If nothing happens then go back to the dealer and tell him the only hot air that you are getting is that being spouted by someone who probably couldn't tell tell a Lada from a Bentley

Copy everything to VWCS including a link to this forum topic.

We must have cross - messaged ..

It is disgusting. How on Earth have they ever managed to sell anything in the UK with this bunch.

What temperature is the heater set for. The range is 1 to 7. Put it on 7 . If it set on 1 or 2 it may not fire up with the present daytime temperatures as it is thermostatically controlled.

What temperature is the heater set for. The range is 1 to 7. Put it on 7 . If it set on 1 or 2 it may not fire up with the present daytime temperatures as it is thermostatically controlled.
mine goes from 1-10. its on 10. I will try it later again before ringing dealer in the morning!

it is on level 10! I have even not driven the van for 24 hours so that it would be cold and tried it in the middle of the night and nothing!
Think I need another dealer! (third time lucky)
Odd, mine only has 7 levels, 1 to 6 then MAX; just been out and checked ... maybe they changed them.

It could be something simple like a fuse ... or maybe the battery voltage is not high enough, it should be around 12.7 volts if in good order when no load is being drawn.

It's a pity you weren't closer, I would have checked it out. You really need someone who knows about Calis rather that a dealer who is just guessing.

ahh thank you. i will check battery too. i think i might try carrs exeter as someone else had a good experience there. thanks so much for advice:)

The heater won't start if there is less than 17 litres in the fuel tank, also have you tried resetting the control panel ?

The heater won't start if there is less than 17 litres in the fuel tank, also have you tried resetting the control panel ?
yes, full tank, have had control panel reset too. i rang dealer and its going back in again.....it does not tick,or have any air exchange hot or cold. VW customer services have got back to me and will check to see if a remote should have been included. The lady I spoke to said that factory options have changed and maybe dealer is right about this.....hmmm. I have said that I am not impressed I have have now been to dealers 4 times in less than 2 weeks and the original fault the van was sold with is still present..... will let you know the latest when I know more. I was hoping to go camping this weekend, but I would like everything to be working!

And that is the real problem. We are being dealt with by the Commercial Vehicle division whose majority clients want a working reliable van with a quick turn round for any services or repairs, so as not to loose money. They are not worried about greasy finger marks on an already dirty interior.

We are the odd balls in this situation and VWUK needs to look at this and sell the Cali through the retail car division of their dealerships.

I have said this to one of those retched satisfaction call backs recently. I very much doubt anything will come of it.

I agree with Jen, we need to start pulling together on this issue, as we did with the roof problems, to get VWUK it change its ideas.

Alan
Don't assume all commercial VW owners drive around in dirty vans !! Some of the best looking vans are commercial & we don't stand for poor service ! £42K sportlines are not just dirty old vans, not too mention some of the specced up high line vans/ kombis you see at the dealerships.

yes, full tank, have had control panel reset too. i rang dealer and its going back in again.....it does not tick,or have any air exchange hot or cold. VW customer services have got back to me and will check to see if a remote should have been included. The lady I spoke to said that factory options have changed and maybe dealer is right about this.....hmmm. I have said that I am not impressed I have have now been to dealers 4 times in less than 2 weeks and the original fault the van was sold with is still present..... will let you know the latest when I know more. I was hoping to go camping this weekend, but I would like everything to be working!
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/media/56429/california_brochure.pdf
If links works show that California SE 2015 comes "
Parking heater – programmable with remote control.