Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help needed with remote control for heater please

S

SallyW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have a 2013 SE with an Erberspacher auxiliary heater. We bought the van a year or so ago used. When we bought the van dealer said the remote control for the auxiliary heater was missing. At the time I thought who on earth needs a remote control for a heater -why not just press the button on the control panel?

Our first six months of using the Cali were often in freezing temperatures. We came to experience how very good the heater is. We also now realise that a remote control for the heater is almost an essential for winter camping and would like to acquire one in time for this winter.

I went back to the dealer to order one and they looked at the specs for our van and when it came to the heater remote it says it is not an available option and so probably never had one originally. They seemed unwilling to try and get one for me because of this.
My question is if I were to buy one online eg this one

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/o...t-eberspcher-auxiliary-heating-remote-control

will it work out of the box or does it need to be programmed. What is the process of programming and if it doesn't give it as an option on the spec for our van can it then be programmed at all?

Many thanks

Hi I have a 2012 se when I bought it second hand it came with the heater remote strange that a newer model does not have one.

We have a 2013 SE with an Erberspacher auxiliary heater. We bought the van a year or so ago used. When we bought the van dealer said the remote control for the auxiliary heater was missing. At the time I thought who on earth needs a remote control for a heater -why not just press the button on the control panel?

Our first six months of using the Cali were often in freezing temperatures. We came to experience how very good the heater is. We also now realise that a remote control for the heater is almost an essential for winter camping and would like to acquire one in time for this winter.

I went back to the dealer to order one and they looked at the specs for our van and when it came to the heater remote it says it is not an available option and so probably never had one originally. They seemed unwilling to try and get one for me because of this.

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/o...t-eberspcher-auxiliary-heating-remote-control

will it work out of the box or does it need to be programmed. What is the process of programming and if it doesn't give it as an option on the spec for our van can it then be programmed at all?

Many thanks
1. Any replacement Remote would have to be programmed/paired to the vehicle.
2. If the vehicle was not built with the Remote Option then it probably will not have the receiver and Control Unit so will not work anyway.

You're probably better talking to an Eberspacher supplier. They'll know the model & if it's compatible.

Many thanks
According to the 2012 Brochure Parking Heater and Remote were standard on the SE.
Any new remote would have to be programmed though.

The Remote shown in that link is exactly like mine. I would suggest go back to the Dealer and explain it was a standard option in 2012/13/14/15.

Thank you for your replies. I shall try again with the dealer and Erberspacher. I was under the impression the remote came as standard so it is a bit of a mystery.

Your dealer is talking rubbish....it’s standard on your model & year....

According to the 2012 Brochure Parking Heater and Remote were standard on the SE.
Any new remote would have to be programmed though.

Interesting.... I bought a 2012 (62 plate) 180 SE earlier this year and, although it was a private purchase the chap was very knowledgeable having owned many Calis. When I asked about the remote, he said the heater model didn't have a remote, which sounds like it may not have been correct. Therefore, a couple of questions:

1. What's the easiest way to obtain the exact part number of heater fitted?
2. Does the remote function directly to the heater control unit or via the Cali control panel?

@SallyW I'd be interested to hear how successful you've been.

Interesting.... I bought a 2012 (62 plate) 180 SE earlier this year and, although it was a private purchase the chap was very knowledgeable having owned many Calis. When I asked about the remote, he said the heater model didn't have a remote, which sounds like it may not have been correct. Therefore, a couple of questions:

1. What's the easiest way to obtain the exact part number of heater fitted?
2. Does the remote function directly to the heater control unit or via the Cali control panel?

@SallyW I'd be interested to hear how successful you've been.
The Heater Model etc:, if factory fitted, should be on a label on the Drivers door, B pillar ( RHD )
I am not sure where the Radio control unit is situated. Will investigate.

The radio control unit is on the left side, just under the dash, if you go down to the pedals and look up, you will see a small black box, with a light blue electric plug and another antenna plug as well.
I myself still try to find a way to make the connection between the new remote with the old control unit.

Back