Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Little remote

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all!
Just taken delivery of new (to me, 2008) Cali. On one set of keys there is a little remote, which had no battery in it at takeover. Dealer was unable to tell me what it controls, and phoned former owner who apparently said it does "nothing"! It is a VW item, oval, 5 cms long, with 2 controls, ON and OFF. It must do something! Off to get a battery anyway.

I'm anticipating many more queries as there is so much to learn - when I had left the dealer I realized he had said hardly anything about battery, mains and so on.

Thought of one already! The sockets are continental 2 pin, so I imagine the adaptor we use abroad in hotels is needed. But can you get phone chargers with 2 pin plugs, so that you can charge small stuff off the 12 volt circuit? The dealer said that's what folk use the 12 volt socket for, but I', not sure how to go about it!

What a newbie I am!

diny

Di you

I believe that could well be the remote for the park heater, one of the most appreciated features as it keeps you nice and snug on those cold nights.

Hi all!
Just taken delivery of new (to me, 2008) Cali. On one set of keys there is a little remote, which had no battery in it at takeover. Dealer was unable to tell me what it controls, and phoned former owner who apparently said it does "nothing"! It is a VW item, oval, 5 cms long, with 2 controls, ON and OFF. It must do something! Off to get a battery anyway.

I'm anticipating many more queries as there is so much to learn - when I had left the dealer I realized he had said hardly anything about battery, mains and so on.

Thought of one already! The sockets are continental 2 pin, so I imagine the adaptor we use abroad in hotels is needed. But can you get phone chargers with 2 pin plugs, so that you can charge small stuff off the 12 volt circuit? The dealer said that's what folk use the 12 volt socket for, but I', not sure how to go about it!

What a newbie I am!

diny
Exactly which vehicle have you got? Can you post some photos of the sockets on the end of the kitchen unit? Also photos of this remote. Sounds as if the previous owner doesn't know much about the vehicle.

As far as charging phones etc:, then you'll have to buy 12 v chargers for your phones etc:. This is the most efficient way.

You could also use the inverter on pillar for phone charging also works for I pad .

You could also use the inverter on pillar for phone charging also works for I pad .
You could, if there is an inverter, but a very inefficient way of doing it. 12v - 240v - 12v from the charger.

Should have a inverter mine a 2008 van with one . Never had a problem last 4 to 5 days still original batteries. Just find it more convenient then using 12voltsocket.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an inverter, and what is it's intended usage?

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an inverter, and what is it's intended
You should have one on your b pillar passenger side it converts 12v to 240v it's a two pronged plug just need to get a connecting lead .

I think it may depend when in 2008 your van was built/registered.

My 2007 has no inverter on the b pillar.

On the kitchen cabinet is has two sockets. A 2-pin euro mains socket, which only works on hookup and will give you mains power (I connect a 4 gang euro to UK adapter). Not sure if this is UK 240v or Euro voltage (will it depend on the supply?).

If the other socket is a round one, a bit like a 12v cigarette lighter but not, then you have a Hella socket. It'll give you 12V off the leisure batteries, and you can find Hella-double USB adapters on Amazon or wherever which can be easier for charging phones than guddling around under the rear bench seat for the slightly ludicrously inaccessible 12V socket there.

I think it may depend when in 2008 your van was built/registered.

My 2007 has no inverter on the b pillar.

On the kitchen cabinet is has two sockets. A 2-pin euro mains socket, which only works on hookup and will give you mains power (I connect a 4 gang euro to UK adapter). Not sure if this is UK 240v or Euro voltage (will it depend on the supply?).

If the other socket is a round one, a bit like a 12v cigarette lighter but not, then you have a Hella socket. It'll give you 12V off the leisure batteries, and you can find Hella-double USB adapters on Amazon or wherever which can be easier for charging phones than guddling around under the rear bench seat for the slightly ludicrously inaccessible 12V socket there.

Apologies for hijacking the thread..

I have often wondered about the 2-pin socket in the kitchen, so if it can only be used on hook-up, does this mean for example that my little 9” tv that I also have a 2-pin adaptor for can be plugged into here as a power source? I usually simply plug it into the 240v socket but what with phone chargers and everything else, there’s always a queue for this socket! My next purchase is a 3-way usb plug, as most things these days come with a usb charging cable.

I have a March 2008 registration which is much the same as campdavid. I also connect a similar 4 plug gang. The wiring supports 13 amp 240v as long as your gang is up to it, and provides whatever voltage and amperage you're plugged into. No hookup, no power. You can buy an earthed gang. I strongly recommend NOT running through a travel adapter unless you're confident it's earthed and carries the wattage your putting through it. This socket is the round earthed socket that was replaced by a UK three pin in later U.K. models.

The hexagonal two pin plug, the inverter, is 240v low amperage, unearthed and runs off the batteries. [edit: I didn't think hooking up changed the output from this, and simply meant that the batteries will be recharged as they're depleted by the inverter, but reading around the forum I'm now not sure, and maybe it converts to mains output. But either way it's only for low powered devices. Suggest you read the manual for your specific vehicle]

And yes, sounds like the remote is the heater. Duracell Photo 3 V 1/3N is a suitable battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a March 2008 registration which is much the same as campdavid. I also connect a similar 4 plug gang. The wiring supports 13 amp 240v as long as your gang is up to it, and provides whatever voltage and amperage you're plugged into. No hookup, no power. You can buy an earthed gang. I strongly recommend NOT running through a travel adapter unless you're confident it's earthed and carries the wattage your putting through it. This socket is the round earthed socket that was replaced by a UK three pin in later U.K. models.

The hexagonal two pin plug, the inverter, is 240v low amperage, unearthed and runs off the batteries. [edit: I didn't think hooking up changed the output from this, and simply meant that the batteries will be recharged as they're depleted by the inverter, but reading around the forum I'm now not sure, and maybe it converts to mains output. But either way it's only for low powered devices. Suggest you read the manual for your specific vehicle]

And yes, sounds like the remote is the heater. Duracell Photo 3 V 1/3N is a suitable battery

The Inverter Socket on the B Pillar ONLY runs from the Leisure Batteries . Plugging the vehicle into the Mains has no effect on the output of this socket. It is still 150 watts maximum at 240V.

Thanks Welshgas.

Well, thanks everybody! However I am still rather confused (not helped by not having access to new camper, not stored at home!). To summarize what I have gleaned: the 2 pin socket by the kitchen taps into the electric hook-up, and the one on the pillar is 12 Volt. To use the 12 volt for charging phones etc I will need to get special chargers - think I can manage that. But how to get use of the 240V hook-up supply, I just can't get my head round it! Someone has said that to use my travel adaptors is not a good idea, so how to proceed? I have found continental style gang sockets on amazon, but they are 2pin to 2 pin, and I need 2 pin to 3 pin! Help before I drown in an electrical overload!

Well, thanks everybody! However I am still rather confused (not helped by not having access to new camper, not stored at home!). To summarize what I have gleaned: the 2 pin socket by the kitchen taps into the electric hook-up, and the one on the pillar is 12 Volt. To use the 12 volt for charging phones etc I will need to get special chargers - think I can manage that. But how to get use of the 240V hook-up supply, I just can't get my head round it! Someone has said that to use my travel adaptors is not a good idea, so how to proceed? I have found continental style gang sockets on amazon, but they are 2pin to 2 pin, and I need 2 pin to 3 pin! Help before I drown in an electrical overload!

I have something like this from Boots, works perfectly http://www.boots.com/go-travel-worldwide-travel-adaptor-10136114

...read the manual ....

We got a two-socket bar plug (English style) and changed the main plug for a continental two-pin type. The camping kettle & phone charger plug now both plug into that (when on hook-up).

Hi Diny, I've sent you a private message which should be in your in box

Hi Diny,

You have nearly got it right.

Except you cannot buy a 4 gang 13amp block with a Continental 2 pin 230v plug on the end, at least I have never seen one. You will need to buy a UK 4 gang block and cut off the molded 13 amp plug on the cable and wire a continental 2 pin Suco plug on the cable in it's place like this;

http://tinyurl.com/k9ug7dg

although a right angle one would be more convenient if you can find one.

As your van is 2008, you may not have the other 2 pin 230v socket on the bottom of the pillar behind the passenger seat. This was introduce after 2009 I believe.

Hope that make things clearer.

Enjoy your new member of the family. They are great fun.

Alan

Hi Diny,

You have nearly got it right.

Except you cannot buy a 4 gang 13amp block with a Continental 2 pin 230v plug on the end, at least I have never seen one. You will need to buy a UK 4 gang block and cut off the molded 13 amp plug on the cable and wire a continental 2 pin Suco plug on the cable in it's place like this;

http://tinyurl.com/k9ug7dg

although a right angle one would be more convenient if you can find one.

As your van is 2008, you may not have the other 2 pin 230v socket on the bottom of the pillar behind the passenger seat. This was introduce after 2009 I believe.

Hope that make things clearer.

Enjoy your new member of the family. They are great fun.

Alan

They're hard to find, but they do exist. I have this one, still going strong after six years and still available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002HHOKD2/?tag=eliteelect-21