Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decision made on wheels - Supermetal Trident 20's

Having spent too much time researching and deliberating, decision finally made. Form has prevailed over function, although as a daily driver and without the need to venture up rocky tracks, we hope to be OK...

Went for 20 inch Supermetal Trident 9J x 20 ET 45 in satin black - they are TUV approved and also now available from VWVC for the T30 with a load rating of 930kg. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 275 35 20 XL 102Y with a circumference very close to the standard OEM wheels so no speedo issues.

We're getting the VW Eibach coilovers and HD ARBs fitted in Feb so they'll be living in the garage until then :rolleyes:

I'll report back on the ride when its all done - have head good reports on the VW Eibach setup with progressive damping so we'll see of we can live with the 20's!!!

View attachment 54292

In the meantime the 235/55 R17 all seasons will stay on...
Not sure if you did an online comparison on the 2 wheel/tyre fitment but have a good check on inner clearances especially the front strut.

Aquaplaning risk as tyre wears below 5mm would stop me going for that width.

Comparison --

I emailed the parts manager at out local VWCV centre about load ratings for the Cali and the proposed wheels and tyres and had the following reply:

20 inch Tridents
2753520 Goodyear F1 ASY2 102Y

Yes you can fit 20s to your vehicle as it is a T30 so the load index is perfectly for your axle weights and also the vehicle is a class 4 MOT. If you had a T32 you can't do it as they require a minimum 104 load tyre that no company makes in a suitable size for Transporter.

If you buy the tyres and wheels from us then the workshop will fit and balance with no charge however we would recommend a geometry check.

The only other thing I would say is that the wheels take 4-6 weeks to arrive and we would need payment before we order and once ordered this is non refundable as we cannot return special order wheels.

Not sure if you did an online comparison on the 2 wheel/tyre fitment but have a good check on inner clearances especially the front strut.

Aquaplaning risk as tyre wears below 5mm would stop me going for that width.

Comparison --

Good point re aquaplaning on a wider tyre. One of the reasons I have used these tyres on other vans and cars is that they are A rated for wet grip.

Update.

I have now spoken to my insurance company (Safeguard) about the proposed modifications.
  • Front sportline spoiler with DRLs
  • Eibach coilovers
  • Side bars
  • Revo Stage 1 Remap (from 180 to 190-208 bhp) - more about drivability than outright performance
  • Supermetal 20s with 275 35 R20 102Y Goodyear tyres
Safeguard are happy with the load index of the tyres and the wheels as well as the other modifications. The additional premium is £85 for the remainder of the year (11 months).

I also have the additional comfort of the email response from the service manager at VWCV that they tyres and wheels are appropriate for my Cali.

I appreciate the helpful responses and also the challenges as its good to look into these things carefully which has led me to double check everything in detail.

The changes won't be to everyone's liking, but what's great about VWs and Calis is that they're not all the same.

Update.

I have now spoken to my insurance company (Safeguard) about the proposed modifications.
  • Front sportline spoiler with DRLs
  • Eibach coilovers
  • Side bars
  • Revo Stage 1 Remap (from 180 to 190-208 bhp) - more about drivability than outright performance
  • Supermetal 20s with 275 35 R20 102Y Goodyear tyres
Safeguard are happy with the load index of the tyres and the wheels as well as the other modifications. The additional premium is £85 for the remainder of the year (11 months).

I also have the additional comfort of the email response from the service manager at VWCV that they tyres and wheels are appropriate for my Cali.

I appreciate the helpful responses and also the challenges as its good to look into these things carefully which has led me to double check everything in detail.

The changes won't be to everyone's liking, but what's great about VWs and Calis is that they're not all the same.

Good work. Best to have done this now rather than when your back is against the wall. Enjoy!

Crumbs it complicated!

Thanks @B J G for the link. I'd looked at other sites but this has a lot more detail. Seems I have 15.3mm to play with...

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 12.02.25.png

I emailed the parts manager at out local VWCV centre about load ratings for the Cali and the proposed wheels and tyres and had the following reply:
Incidentally 235/55/18 come in 104 load rating and put the speedo to almost 100% accuracy.

Not of interest to you directly but others reading might benefit.

Is that a Burley wood burner?
Yes, the Hollywell 9105. We hve two of them in the house and they are amazing. Meant to be 5kw but they throw out a lot of heat. Only empty the ash a couple of times each winter as they burn so hot.

Yes, the Hollywell 9105. We hve two of them in the house and they are amazing. Meant to be 5kw but they throw out a lot of heat. Only empty the ash a couple of times each winter as they burn so hot.
That’s good to hear I’m glad you like it and it works well, we have one on order....sounds like we made a good choice

We've sworn by (and very rarely at) Clearview stoves, have had them in three houses over 30 years. When they first came out they were in a class of their own, although these days there are probably as good/better/cheaper alternatives.

Hi, have you fitted the wheels yet, interested to see how they look on the Cali?

Work completed! Haven’t had a chance to take any decent pics yet.

Was a little apprehensive about how it would turn out but am very happy.

The ride is completely transformed. Before it was quite crashy over poor roads with lots of roll.

Now it’s just so much better to drive. Very planted on the road and settles really well over undulations and bumps. Very little roll on roundabouts and corners. Clearly it’s still a van, but for my tastes it is such an improvement it feels like this is how it should come out of the factory.

Main noticeable differences are cats eyes and those horizontal strips between road sections on the M25 which are more noticeable but that’s down to the 20’s, and the steering is a bit heavier as there’s a lot more rubber on the road now!

Great service from Bognor Motors.

Will write up a more detailed report after a month or so. If anyone is thinking or going this route and is near to Poole, happy to demo

7067A214-FA75-475D-9401-2427704E2778.jpeg

E345A646-6C68-4B64-91B2-2EC7D7F36F11.jpeg

60425D7A-AF27-4E70-9722-2D84814D70A4.jpeg

010C6BF6-9631-4542-97B0-5BF48439E662.jpeg

C5D3A667-5E3F-493F-8FED-C67074E01B45.jpeg

03409142-3DD1-45D1-B7E7-246216995D6E.jpeg

49DCF262-592C-480F-8D62-7B4B571CA70D.jpeg

Looking great bud. Thanks for sharing the images.

Did they supply and fit the Eibach Coilovers and if so, what's the cost compared to VW fitting?

Much appreciated

Go easy with the sliding door when you first get them on, it looks
like the inner panel might just scrape the wheel, if it does, i think
the panel can be modified.

Should be ok - my 10x20 ET45 have a generous 1mm clearance so the 9x20 ET45 should (in theory) have around 14mm ish to spare.

Looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes a 45offset is perfect you can also use a 40 offset if the wheels are no wider than 9.5j ...
Have run bilstein b14s for many years on calis and Kombi’s and the ride is nice on 20s ...
I have run h&r coilovers on my first cali many years ago there also great but the eibach are vw approved now so that’s a good move from vw being able to have these fitted and still not affect the warranties

Looking great bud. Thanks for sharing the images.

Did they supply and fit the Eibach Coilovers and if so, what's the cost compared to VW fitting?

Much appreciated
Sorry, missed this, yes they did. It was the first Eibach they had done and they are now a stockist as they thought the kit was really impressive. It really is good to drive.

Nice wheels, what tyre pressure are you running them on, as I have just got the same wheels?

Back