Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decision made on wheels - Supermetal Trident 20's

Work completed! Haven’t had a chance to take any decent pics yet.

Was a little apprehensive about how it would turn out but am very happy.

The ride is completely transformed. Before it was quite crashy over poor roads with lots of roll.

Now it’s just so much better to drive. Very planted on the road and settles really well over undulations and bumps. Very little roll on roundabouts and corners. Clearly it’s still a van, but for my tastes it is such an improvement it feels like this is how it should come out of the factory.

Main noticeable differences are cats eyes and those horizontal strips between road sections on the M25 which are more noticeable but that’s down to the 20’s, and the steering is a bit heavier as there’s a lot more rubber on the road now!

Great service from Bognor Motors.

Will write up a more detailed report after a month or so. If anyone is thinking or going this route and is near to Poole, happy to demo

View attachment 55597

View attachment 55598

View attachment 55599

View attachment 55600

View attachment 55601

View attachment 55602

View attachment 55603
How low did you go on the Coilovers?

Having spent too much time researching and deliberating, decision finally made. Form has prevailed over function, although as a daily driver and without the need to venture up rocky tracks, we hope to be OK...

Went for 20 inch Supermetal Trident 9J x 20 ET 45 in satin black - they are TUV approved and also now available from VWVC for the T30 with a load rating of 930kg. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 275 35 20 XL 102Y with a circumference very close to the standard OEM wheels so no speedo issues.

We're getting the VW Eibach coilovers and HD ARBs fitted in Feb so they'll be living in the garage until then :rolleyes:

I'll report back on the ride when its all done - have head good reports on the VW Eibach setup with progressive damping so we'll see of we can live with the 20's!!!

View attachment 54292

In the meantime the 235/55 R17 all seasons will stay on...
Apologies for Holy Thread resurrection, found the super metal tridents in Matt Grey would look nice on a pearl black.
How’s the ride?
How many miles have you put on, and how much tread left ?
Be nice to hear from someone who has the actual wheel and tyre combo.
Thanks in advance :thumb

Apologies for Holy Thread resurrection, found the super metal tridents in Matt Grey would look nice on a pearl black.
How’s the ride?
Hi, we’ve sold the van now as we have a Hymer 540.

Would have them again, they were really good.
Prob slightly more tyre wear but never noticed it as an issue and the steering at low speed was slightly heavier.

Had one flat in two years when I hit a MASSIVE pot hole on the dark in Devon, but I think any tyre would have been damaged.

My only caution would be that you will prob need to sort out the standard suspension (we had coilovers and the ride was very good) and you just have to be careful not to curb them.

How’s the ride?
I have that exact setup and the ride is great....

Thanks for the replies both :)

How’s the ride?
Ride is very subjective and many variables play a part in how comfortable it is.

are you on standard suspension?
are you on lowering springs
are you on coilovers?
what is the aspect ratio of your tyres?

often it is trial and error (albeit an expensive game!) or seeing what setups others have gone with

I personally lowered mine significantly on coilovers and 20s for summer and 19s for winters without a detriment to ride quality

Ride is very subjective and many variables play a part in how comfortable it is.

are you on coilovers?

often it is trial and error (albeit an expensive game!) or seeing what setups others have gone with

I personally lowered mine significantly on coilovers and 20s for summer and 19s for winters without a detriment to ride quality
Very good point.

We ended up with Eibach adjustable coil overs and 20’s 275 35 R20 wheels. Rolling radial very close to standard - speedo read true rather than slightly over-about 2% difference I believe.

Very good point.

We ended up with Eibach adjustable coil overs and 20’s 275 35 R20 wheels. Rolling radial very close to standard - speedo read true rather than slightly over-about 2% difference I believe.
What size wheels are they out of interest? Presuming > 8.5J with a high offset so they tuck inwards. Also would love to see a pic.

What size wheels are they out of interest? Presuming > 8.5J with a high offset so they tuck inwards. Also would love to see a pic.
9J ET45

We ran them for about 30000 miles over 2 1/2 years with no issues.

17D70658-F0BA-4DCB-8D8B-EEF1BF594179.jpeg

9C9CFD9E-5AF1-4D2E-906A-D65E65DE6585.jpeg

are you on coilovers?

Correct.
I’m going to run the palmerstons on 255/55 r18 109v Vredestein’s wintrac pro at €132 a corner.
Then for summers with super metal tridents 9.5j in grey or black with Eagle F1’s
Buzz will be getting VB or Bilstein Air in a years time.

Back