Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decision made on wheels - Supermetal Trident 20's

Awesome, and thank you - where or how did you get that number as I have bought mine from VW dealer and they don't seem to know what pressure VW recommend, which is obv unreal.....

It’s open to a bit of debate. There’s a good thread on the T6 forum. Seems a bit higher at 40+ there’s excessive tyre wear and some run at 36. I find 38 a good compromise. You’re right, there’s no plate to follow but odd that as VW now sell them they do t have a recommended pressure

It’s open to a bit of debate. There’s a good thread on the T6 forum. Seems a bit higher at 40+ there’s excessive tyre wear and some run at 36. I find 38 a good compromise. You’re right, there’s no plate to follow but odd that as VW now sell them they do t have a recommended pressure
Yes I have seen the forum and they can suggest 45.... but you're logic is bang on.... VW yes, the dealer is selling me the wheels and tyres yet they cannot give me VW recommended setting, its mad... and useless....

Bognor Motors have been ruining them at 36 and 40. They seem to know what they’re doing so went for middle of the two!

Bognor Motors have been ruining them at 36 and 40. They seem to know what they’re doing so went for middle of the two!
Yea and I will do the same!

So 38psi rides great and tyres look correct when put to that pressure - thanks very much for the information..... and loaded pic of my van for the hell of it.California 1.jpg

Another question, do you also have the heavy duty antiroll bars fitted?

So 38psi rides great and tyres look correct when put to that pressure - thanks very much for the information..... and loaded pic of my van for the hell of it.View attachment 73666

Love the front splitter!!

So 38psi rides great and tyres look correct when put to that pressure - thanks very much for the information..... and loaded pic of my van for the hell of it.View attachment 73666

Love it, looks great!

Yes

Oh cool, yeah is the ABT one that you can get through VW, everything on the van is VW.... splitter is expensive for what it is...
Actually no, the side bars are not VW as you cannot get the angled bars in black from VW...

I am looking for a set of 20" and I am finding it a bit of a nightmare! I am getting conflicting advise from different suppliers. It obviously makes sense to me to ask you guys running them. As far as I can tell a 9.5J with a 45 offset and 275 x 35 x 20's would be fine, 275 x 40 x 20's at a push? Proviso being tyres are 103 rating or above. Does that sound about right?

I am looking for a set of 20" and I am finding it a bit of a nightmare! I am getting conflicting advise from different suppliers. It obviously makes sense to me to ask you guys running them. As far as I can tell a 9.5J with a 45 offset and 275 x 35 x 20's would be fine, 275 x 40 x 20's at a push? Proviso being tyres are 103 rating or above. Does that sound about right?
275/35/20 USUALLY ONLY 102 LOAD RATED.

Check your Insurance as some now aren't covering 20" wheels.

Presume that you are aware of many reports as to ride quality on 20's.

I have sold 2 sets of 17" wheels to owners taking 20" off.

No personal experience.

I think the 9.5j is to wide. I would say the best size would be 8.5j 45 offset

9 with a 45 on the rear is fine, VW recommend 275 35 20 as opposed to 40.

Thanks for your help. Is the 35 over 40 speedo related?
Have you a picture of what you had in mind?

The numbers just don't paint a picture for me but i like
a nice pimped wheel set up.

275/35/20 USUALLY ONLY 102 LOAD RATED.

Check your Insurance as some now aren't covering 20" wheels.

Presume that you are aware of many reports as to ride quality on 20's.

I have sold 2 sets of 17" wheels to owners taking 20" off.

No personal experience.
I had already notified them of a wheel change (put some 18" sportlines on a couple of months ago), they didn't ask about the size, just if they were non standard wheels for the vehicle. Yes I have heard about the ride. I will change the suspension if it's too hard.

Have you a picture of what you had in mind?

The numbers just don't paint a picture for me but i like
a nice pimped wheel set up.
I posted some pictures last weekend, the problem was the door wouldn't fully open.
IMG_1406.jpg
IMG_1405.jpg

Hi, I have the VW 20" wheels fitted, apologies I do not know the offset etc, and I have the 275/40 tyres. As I have the van lowered with coil overs the tyres on front can 'rub' a bit when I go over 'some' bumps. When I change I will go for 35 ... VW dealer fitted the 275/40's due to speed or weight rating, but I would not worry about that myself now. Having the coil overs I have to say the ride is absolutely fine and I was worried about it but have no problems now recommending.....

I don't have any issues with side door rubbing etc when open...

We have 275 35 40 R20 supermetal tridents. No issues with rubbing and insurance co fine. With coilovers (VW supplied Eibach) the ride is sure footed and comfortable certainly not crashy over bumps.
I wouldn’t get them on standard or sportline suspension however but with well specified suspension they really are good so don’t believe the naysayers who maybe haven’t experienced the ride first hand.
Before I bought them I did ask VW Breeze and here is their reply-
Yes you can fit 20s to your vehicle as it is a T30 so the load index is perfectly for your axle weights and also the vehicle is a class 4 MOT. If you had a T32 you can't do it as they require a minimum 104 load tyre that no company makes in a suitable size for Transporter.

If you buy the tyres and wheels from us then the workshop will fit and balance with no charge however we would recommend a geometry check that would be £75.

The only other thing I would say is that the wheels take 4-6 weeks to arrive and we would need payment before we order and once ordered this is non refundable as we cannot return special order wheels.

20 inch Tridents £774.52+vat £929.42inc
2753520 Goodyear F1 ASY2 £663.20 £795.84inc

£1725.26 supplied and fitted

Additional Geo check and adjust £75+vat £90inc

I hope this helps.

30BA5BD2-92E1-4675-B06E-A77EB660C7CE.jpeg

We have 275 35 40 R20 supermetal tridents. No issues with rubbing and insurance co fine. With coilovers (VW supplied Eibach) the ride is sure footed and comfortable certainly not crashy over bumps.
I wouldn’t get them on standard or sportline suspension however but with well specified suspension they really are good so don’t believe the naysayers who maybe haven’t experienced the ride first hand.
Yes you can fit 20s to your vehicle as it is a T30 so the load index is perfectly for your axle weights and also the vehicle is a class 4 MOT. If you had a T32 you can't do it as they require a minimum 104 load tyre that no company makes in a suitable size for Transporter.

If you buy the tyres and wheels from us then the workshop will fit and balance with no charge however we would recommend a geometry check that would be £75.

The only other thing I would say is that the wheels take 4-6 weeks to arrive and we would need payment before we order and once ordered this is non refundable as we cannot return special order wheels.

I hope this helps.

30BA5BD2-92E1-4675-B06E-A77EB660C7CE.jpeg
Speedo is pretty much spot on but no margin - the speed on the dial is the sped you are going.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 76840
It really does help, thank you for taking the time to post.

Thank you all for your help. I will let you know how I get on.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 76840
These look great and a really informative post @HowieDog .

Whether you fit 275/35 or 275/40 the speedo will be 'out' by around 2.5 - 4.5 mph. Certainly as I have said I would now fit the 35's next time. Once you know the speedo is inaccurate you can account for it when driving, so no real issue.

Back