Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dehumidifier

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good dehumidifier for when our cali is not in use and advise of any pitfalls also is it best to use one when your using the van in winter.

We are having our first winter weekend in the lakes soon and as we will be on hookup will use an electric fan heater to keep the van warm but will a
dehumidifier be required as well?.

Thanks

When in use just the heater and ventilation.
When not in use but on hookup on the drive, I use a small plug in dehumidifier .....

C56E3482-660E-4EF7-8042-BE6ABB9CCFBD.jpeg

Ventilation is key to keeping the damp air from condensing but it may be inevitable in colder months.
When at home (on hookup), if you are using a mains powered de-humidifier, find one that uses desiccant, rather than a 'compressor' type, as they work well below 20C, unlike the compressor ones which work best indoors above 20C. If you are buying one for the house / van, on 240V, I can recommend this - https://www.energybulbs.co.uk/products/meaco-dd8l-zambezi-desiccant-dehumidifier-dd8lzam

I wouldn't use a de-humidifier while in the van - keep it warm and insulated while in it, ventilate during the day if it's not too wet / cold outside. You'd be surprised how much moisture can be generated by breath and wet jackets! Just remember to dry as much as possible when back home.

Last edited:
When in use just the heater and ventilation.
When not in use but on hookup on the drive, I use a small plug in dehumidifier .....
Thanks for this tip. I use the van a lot in the winter for transporting dogs to / from agility training and it gets quite damp with hot sweaty dogs sitting in it... I’m away to order a plug in dehumidifier...

I use the dehumidifier below in the Cali it works even at low temperatures and is very well made.

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good dehumidifier for when our cali is not in use and advise of any pitfalls also is it best to use one when your using the van in winter.

We are having our first winter weekend in the lakes soon and as we will be on hookup will use an electric fan heater to keep the van warm but will a
dehumidifier be required as well?.

Thanks
I work in the industry -refridgerant dehumidifiers are totally ineffective below 15c.
If you need to keep an area dry in cold damp winter conditions , a small DESSICANT dehumidifier is what you need , and keep all exterior windows - SHUT
These will work in very cold temps
Hope that helps

I use a large bag of silica gel. Works a treat.

I have one that you can re-do in the microwave and one that looks like a drink cup. In less than a week it needs recharging it has been so wet.

Yes that is right. Just put it in the microwave to recharge it.

I work in the industry -refridgerant dehumidifiers are totally ineffective below 15c.
If you need to keep an area dry in cold damp winter conditions , a small DESSICANT dehumidifier is what you need , and keep all exterior windows - SHUT
These will work in very cold temps
Hope that helps

this looks a good deal. I done a couple of nights at 0-5 degrees with the pup and heater on low with windows closed. Woke up very damp

Are silica bags like these better (and quieter) than a 12v demudifier in this scenario?

this looks a good deal. I done a couple of nights at 0-5 degrees with the pup and heater on low with windows closed. Woke up very damp

Are silica bags like these better (and quieter) than a 12v demudifier in this scenario?

Would be better to open a downwind window a bit and turn up the heater.

Would be better to open a downwind window a bit and turn up the heater.
I know but I don’t like wasting energy. Maybe in spring to autumn, that would be fine but I’m reluctant to do so in winter

I know this sounds like a contradiction , but if you can check the humidity OUTSIDE on a cold winters day , it is often much lower than the levels INSIDE the vehicle .
In this case open the doors and windows and flush out the damp , stale air .
I deal with flooded buildings - the first thing we do is open all the doors and windows for a couple of hours - then shut everything up , and start a drying programme .

I know this sounds like a contradiction , but if you can check the humidity OUTSIDE on a cold winters day , it is often much lower than the levels INSIDE the vehicle .
In this case open the doors and windows and flush out the damp , stale air .
I deal with flooded buildings - the first thing we do is open all the doors and windows for a couple of hours - then shut everything up , and start a drying programme .
If you shut the vehicle up with a heater on - you will just heat up the damp air - no wonder it was damp when you woke up - I bet the vehicle was full of condensation .

With all respect, you will be using energy to heat the silica gel to dry it out once used...
I havent read all the threads on this one - so apologies in advance .the ultimate solution
Cold dry freezing winters day - flush the vehicle .
If you want to keep the vehicle dry over winter - intermittently , use a dessicant de humidifier with some form of exhaust / pipework to the exterior , pumping the damp , moist air ,out of the vehicle .
I have one currently running in a garage with the exhaust pump into washing machine waste outlet
But for a small space you can buy small dessicants that will collect like a refrigerant- they work much better at low temperatures

With all respect, you will be using energy to heat the silica gel to dry it out once used...

I think a microwave using electricity (on a “renewable tariff”) is better than using the diesel, even if it is a minuscule amount. I‘d consider using a diesel heater with an open window to be no better than using a patio heater. If someone wants to do the math, I’d happily change that.

I’d much rather put an extra layer on than even put the heater on in the first place.

Or am I alone in here in trying to minimise my carbon footprint? (and yes I know the hypocrisy in me buying a diesel van in 2019 - but it’s better than the alternative of flying long haul).

I suppose the best option would be a 12v demudifier, powered by the leisure batteries? But my question for the group is how effective is that?

I think a microwave using electricity (on a “renewable tariff”) is better than using the diesel, even if it is a minuscule amount. I‘d consider using a diesel heater with an open window to be no better than using a patio heater. If someone wants to do the math, I’d happily change that.

I’d much rather put an extra layer on than even put the heater on in the first place.

Or am I alone in here in trying to minimise my carbon footprint? (and yes I know the hypocrisy in me buying a diesel van in 2019 - but it’s better than the alternative of flying long haul).

I suppose the best option would be a 12v demudifier, powered by the leisure batteries? But my question for the group is how effective is that?
Must get one of these microwaves that produces no environmental pollution, and I’m not just talking about CO2.

The use of the heater, as Welshgas pointed out, is to keep you warm as you've cracked open a window to ventilate the van, not to help dry. I don't see any difference what time of year you use it.

That's your choice and won't affect the condensation, but why not use the heater supplied for both you & your dogs comfort? If you are happy layering up in the cold, then open more windows to ventilate further.

I don't have experience of the 12v models, but I firmly believe that you get what you pay for and a mains powered (desiccant) de-humidifier will be the most efficient (cost & environmentally) way to keep your van dry once on hook-up back home. The leisure batteries will be draining while powering the 12v de-humidifier, which uses energy (diesel / hook-up) to recharge.

Silica gel bags work by absorbing moisture until they saturate, then become useless until they are dried, usually by heating them. They are silent compared to a 12v (or any powered device).
The volume of space and it's humidity level dictate the type / size of de-humidifier needed.

While you're away using the van, I would accept the condensation in the cold weather but try and keep it ventilated as much as possible. Maybe someone here has good experience with 12v models while in the van, but with opening / closing doors and the cold van surfaces, I doubt you'll be dry in the mornings.

Please, we're not having a go at you, just trying to help!

Last edited:
Hi all thanks for your replies and informative hints and tips. We have just been in the lakes for the weekend and had the heating on and the roof up with the side vents open slightly plus there are the 2 permanent top vets. we were toastie and dry with no condensation unlike some other vans on the site.

I know but I don’t like wasting energy. Maybe in spring to autumn, that would be fine but I’m reluctant to do so in winter
But then you have to burn energy in the microwave to dry the silica bag out.

Put the silica bag in the oven after cooking at home or safely in the engine bay when driving to dry it out and save energy :)

Last edited:
Just a word of warning - we used the desiccant crystal type in our old van and found if any of the desiccant crystals or liquid spilt on the stainless steel sink, or hob it caused staining of the metal.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions.

If I find a different way to control overnight condensation in an economical way, I’ll be sure to share it.
Put the silica bag in the oven when cooking at home or safely in the engine bay when driving to dry it out and save energy :)

I like your thinking. Engine bay is nice idea. Or when oven is cooling after Cooking

Back