Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Delete post request

Ch1putty - thanks for your reply and advice. It looks like it was deleted. Thanks also if that was you that did so.

That's a shame. Was about to reply. Not everyone can respond immediately to a request. Obviously you have sorted the problem but unfortunately How is no longer available to others.
WelshGas. The solution was so simple that I saw it as a basic user error in a moment of cerebral blankness. I had not selected 'Navigation' on the DiscoverMedia front panel. Somehow, the Discovermedia unit was set to boot to 'Image Viewer' and it was looking for images on the SD card. I'll be happy to repost this if people think it might be useful.

Also, I am in the process of updating maps on the VW SD card (tried a Sandisk one formatted as FAT32 but that wasn't recognised). I was planning to post my experience of that then it has (fingers crossed) been successful (just copying the new maps and other files to the original VW SD card after having deleted the old ones)

WelshGas. The solution was so simple that I saw it as a basic user error in a moment of cerebral blankness. I had not selected 'Navigation' on the DiscoverMedia front panel. Somehow, the Discovermedia unit was set to boot to 'Image Viewer' and it was looking for images on the SD card. I'll be happy to repost this if people think it might be useful.

Also, I am in the process of updating maps on the VW SD card (tried a Sandisk one formatted as FAT32 but that wasn't recognised). I was planning to post my experience of that then it has (fingers crossed) been successful (just copying the new maps and other files to the original VW SD card after having deleted the old ones)
It’s always the simple things that catch us out, or maybe not. Why should you have to tell, what is in fact a computer, which type of files to look for and if it doesn’t find it/them file types ignore the memory medium.
That’s a failure of the software engineers. Many electronic items should be intuitive to work. Unfortunately many are not.

Let us know how you get on with the Update. Once again most online information relates to using Windows computer/software rather than Apple Mac software.

It’s always the simple things that catch us out, or maybe not. Why should you have to tell, what is in fact a computer, which type of files to look for and if it doesn’t find it/them file types ignore the memory medium.
That’s a failure of the software engineers. Many electronic items should be intuitive to work. Unfortunately many are not.

Let us know how you get on with the Update. Once again most online information relates to using Windows computer/software rather than Apple Mac software.
Sorry WelshGas - I missed your reply. I totally agree. Much of my work before I retired was in broadcast television and, at times, this inevitably required software development of systems behind the scenes. There were some stories of software developers putting hidden messages in the software (perhaps out of frustration at the work they were doing) and then the software crashing to reveal such messages. One instance where this allegedly happened was at a big TV channel launch with important people watching. The system crashed, all the screens went black and apparently a message appeared telling everyone to go away (in much stronger language than I put here) followed by a well known inference to one's birth legitimacy. That didn't go down well :)

Back