Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Damaged my Sat Nav

G

Ghilliechief

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi
Can any help or offer advice!
I have a Cali ocean 204 on a 2016 plate with the VW built in Discovery Care Sat Nav. Periodically on my iMac there is a little bouncing box in the bottom bar that indicates to me that there are new maps available to download on to my VW SD card. The other day I noted that there was a new map update so I followed the usual procedure and down loaded the maps, The discovery care software asks you to insert your VW SD card and once it acknowledges the VW card it allows you to proceed. Once downloaded to the computer you are then asked to download the maps to the VW SD card. At this point it had obviously wiped the card clean and then proceeded to tell me there was an error.
I contact VW customer services who bounced me to my local Vw dealership who then bounced me back to VW who then bounced me back....... No one taking responsibility.
Eventually many call , emails later VW are saying that my card is now obsolete and I and I will need to purchase a new card at my expense. I asked them to reinstate my old maps to which they replied could not be done. At no point was there any info enlightening me to this issue if I were to go ahead and attempt to update my Sat nav.
Has any one in the last few days experience the same loss of there maps and VW taking no responsibility
Regards
Sean

Have a look at this thread.

My post #6 explains how I got round it.

Mike

I’ve never updated mine as been worried about something like this happening. Will be watching to see if you get it solved...

Reactions: M32
I updated my Discover Media without problems using my Microsoft Windows PC.

You will need to read the PDF download manual first.

I’m apple (I mean use apple products!)... hence my hesitation after reading Mike’s comments a couple of weeks ago. And this thread seems to confirm it... no major trips planned for a while so I have time to see if an easier solution evolves...

The thread I linked seems to covers the issues.

It should be a fairly straight forward update but we are dealing with computers and when things go wrong they tend to not nearly work they just don’t therefore I would recommend backing up manually before doing anything.

Mine went wrong using the “simple” to use discovercare software which does a backup and then installs the new maps. Mine went wrong, deleted the backup and corrupted the SD Card. I was able to clean the SD card of the corrupt files and manually download.

I can see why VW would not want to get involved as there are two many variables and it can be time consuming.

One of my problems was the card not being seen.

The PDF that Tom @Amarillo links to covers this in the bit highlighted “Attention”

Mike

I updated mine yesterday. Did you ( I guess you did not) but as part of the process the program asks if you want to back up your old data.

also 2016 van about 3rd or 4th update via Windows rather Mac

Last edited:
Out of interest @Ghilliechief - I was concerned I would have and issue and bought a spare VW maps card from e-bay for about £25 a few years ago (claimed it was a genuine card expect if was not) So I had a spare id update fails.

Last edited:
I’m apple (I mean use apple products!)... hence my hesitation after reading Mike’s comments a couple of weeks ago. And this thread seems to confirm it... no major trips planned for a while so I have time to see if an easier solution evolves...
Does your neighbour have a Windows computer? Never had any issues with my Windows 10 PC.
I always take a backup, so if the update would fail (never come across that yet), I'd still have the "old" maps.

Back